First handgun I ever shot........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First handgun I ever shot........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default First handgun I ever shot........

My brother, much older than I, brought this home from WW II, a Mauser Model 1910 in .25 ACP. :

Sometime in the spring of 1946 my brother came home from WW II and brought this pistol with him. Its caliber designation of "6,35mm" was alien to us (My brother, my Dad, and me) (I was only eight years old at the time) and my Dad took it to a gun smith's shop in Memphis, where it was identified as the .25 ACP. Dad bought a box of cartridges and we went to my uncle's farm. we got a tin can out of the trash pile, set it on a fence post, and fired away, dividing that box as best as possible three ways. (I kept one unfired round, the first of my cartridge collection.) After forty-nine rounds, that can survived intact.

I determined then and there to learn everything I could about handguns, and how to shoot them.

So, you see, I do have experience with autoloaders!

At my brother's death, the gun went to his only surviving son. Shortly before he died, (He was dying of cancer) my nephew gave the gun to me.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 106 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

First handgun i shot was a Beretta m9, and some 38 revolver, all in an nra basic pistol class years ago. Was fun.

Last edited by phildenton; 11-07-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

first pistol i shot was my older sisters ruger mk2. i was about 8-10 we came out of the woods on a fall day after hiking around and in the corner of the garden laid some squash and pumpkins. my sister told me to wait there and she went into the house only to return with the ruger.

the BEST fun ever!
watching pumpkins, and squash turn to mush..

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

My daddy's High Standard Sentinal 22lr revolver. Wish it had not been stolen 35+ years ago.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #5

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Cool story, Bob. My first experience was somewhat similar, as far as the company.

I was out hiking with my father and older & younger brothers; maybe 22 y/o myself. Pops pulled out a 357 revolver, which he'd picked up for home defense from a buddy a year or so before, and said let's see what she does. Li'l bro was excited, I didn't too much care. I've always been the cautious type when it comes to something I'm unfamiliar with.

So, no hearing or eye protection, shooting at a stump 10-15ft out seemed a bad idea to me and big bro, but pops has never been the safety first type and li'l bro was too excited to think about it. He taught us proper handling, pointing only downrange or at ground, but was very negligent with the protection.

Anyway, we each shot once or twice. I hated it immediately. Hard trigger, long trigger, terrible handle angle for gripping, and WAYYYYY too loud. Li'l bro stuffed a leaf in his ear that later broke and got a piece stuck inside. Seemed pointless to me at the time, but I was still of the age that I didn't care enough to think about things going on in the world and the dangers surrounding.

Until recently I hadn't thought twice about shooting again. Li'l bro actually got me back into it just talking about shooting and protection.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My grandfather's .22 pistol. It appeared similar to a beretta M9 with the open top design and external hammer. but I'm almost positive that it wasn't a beretta. Can anyone help? It was quite an interesting little thing. Had a problem returning to battery though.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My dad's Mauser 1914 32ACP was the second handgun I fired.

dscf3523.jpg

The first was his Ithaca M1911A1

restoreleft-1.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #8

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The first handgun I ever fired was a H&R 22 revolver that belonged to my Grandmother. My Grandfather was preparing to clean it and he let me shoot all six shots out of it. I was hooked right there on the spot. When I came of age I bought a Super Blackhawk and I never looked back. I still have the Super Blackhawk and the H&R 22. Neither gun will be for sale as long as I am breathing.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #9

First handgun I ever shot was a taurus pt38s

Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Colt New Frontier. 22. Sitting down in the safe as I type. Dad bought it in Johnstown Pa in 1974 for $63. Gave it to me for christmas when I was 15.

I would kill for that gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

canebrake Likes This