Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   First handgun I ever shot........ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/first-handgun-i-ever-shot-75690/)

Bob Wright 11-05-2012 01:58 PM

First handgun I ever shot........

My brother, much older than I, brought this home from WW II, a Mauser Model 1910 in .25 ACP. :

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../000_10831.jpg

Sometime in the spring of 1946 my brother came home from WW II and brought this pistol with him. Its caliber designation of "6,35mm" was alien to us (My brother, my Dad, and me) (I was only eight years old at the time) and my Dad took it to a gun smith's shop in Memphis, where it was identified as the .25 ACP. Dad bought a box of cartridges and we went to my uncle's farm. we got a tin can out of the trash pile, set it on a fence post, and fired away, dividing that box as best as possible three ways. (I kept one unfired round, the first of my cartridge collection.) After forty-nine rounds, that can survived intact.

I determined then and there to learn everything I could about handguns, and how to shoot them.

So, you see, I do have experience with autoloaders!

At my brother's death, the gun went to his only surviving son. Shortly before he died, (He was dying of cancer) my nephew gave the gun to me.

Bob Wright

phildenton 11-07-2012 12:20 AM

First handgun i shot was a Beretta m9, and some 38 revolver, all in an nra basic pistol class years ago. Was fun.

jjfuller1 11-07-2012 12:29 AM

first pistol i shot was my older sisters ruger mk2. i was about 8-10 we came out of the woods on a fall day after hiking around and in the corner of the garden laid some squash and pumpkins. my sister told me to wait there and she went into the house only to return with the ruger.

the BEST fun ever!
watching pumpkins, and squash turn to mush..

Gatoragn 11-07-2012 12:57 AM

My daddy's High Standard Sentinal 22lr revolver. Wish it had not been stolen 35+ years ago.

BeyondTheBox 11-08-2012 02:06 AM

Cool story, Bob. My first experience was somewhat similar, as far as the company.

I was out hiking with my father and older & younger brothers; maybe 22 y/o myself. Pops pulled out a 357 revolver, which he'd picked up for home defense from a buddy a year or so before, and said let's see what she does. Li'l bro was excited, I didn't too much care. I've always been the cautious type when it comes to something I'm unfamiliar with.

So, no hearing or eye protection, shooting at a stump 10-15ft out seemed a bad idea to me and big bro, but pops has never been the safety first type and li'l bro was too excited to think about it. He taught us proper handling, pointing only downrange or at ground, but was very negligent with the protection.

Anyway, we each shot once or twice. I hated it immediately. Hard trigger, long trigger, terrible handle angle for gripping, and WAYYYYY too loud. Li'l bro stuffed a leaf in his ear that later broke and got a piece stuck inside. Seemed pointless to me at the time, but I was still of the age that I didn't care enough to think about things going on in the world and the dangers surrounding.

Until recently I hadn't thought twice about shooting again. Li'l bro actually got me back into it just talking about shooting and protection.

trip286 11-08-2012 02:11 AM

My grandfather's .22 pistol. It appeared similar to a beretta M9 with the open top design and external hammer. but I'm almost positive that it wasn't a beretta. Can anyone help? It was quite an interesting little thing. Had a problem returning to battery though.

canebrake 11-08-2012 02:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My dad's Mauser 1914 32ACP was the second handgun I fired.

Attachment 68628

The first was his Ithaca M1911A1

Old_Crow 11-08-2012 08:04 PM

The first handgun I ever fired was a H&R 22 revolver that belonged to my Grandmother. My Grandfather was preparing to clean it and he let me shoot all six shots out of it. I was hooked right there on the spot. When I came of age I bought a Super Blackhawk and I never looked back. I still have the Super Blackhawk and the H&R 22. Neither gun will be for sale as long as I am breathing.

Tlocz916 11-09-2012 03:11 AM

First handgun I ever shot was a taurus pt38s

willfully armed 11-09-2012 03:16 AM

Colt New Frontier. 22. Sitting down in the safe as I type. Dad bought it in Johnstown Pa in 1974 for $63. Gave it to me for christmas when I was 15.

I would kill for that gun.