First Handgun Help - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First Handgun Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 750 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I just don't think of the LC9 as being a great gun for beginners to try to learn trigger control with. It's kind of like a double action only snub nised revolver. They tend to discourage a lot of new shooters because they really are kind of difficult to learn on.
My wifes first time out she placed all rounds at 10 yds on a target the size of a dinner plate with both the LC9 and the LCR.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post

My wifes first time out she placed all rounds at 10 yds on a target the size of a dinner plate with both the LC9 and the LCR.
It's amazing to me how what suits one for shooting is terrible for another. I had to take literally about 30 seconds per shot to get my shots from the LC9 on such a target at both 10 and 50ft, and even then it wasn't every shot. I literally hated that thing and it's wee bro the Pea. They're what turned me away from double action. So I'm extremely jealous of those that can shoot them well, very envious. Some sort of deficiency within me.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcauble1107
Hey guys this is my first post. I'm trying to decide on a glock 19 gen 4 or a ruger LC9. Anyone have first hand experience with both??? Any suggestions. This is gonna be a "peace of mind" for home protection basically with some gun range use for fun. I'm trying to stay under 600
As you can tell so far, there's no 'right' gun. It's really individual preference and comfort. Best suggestion if you like both is to go rent them and see how they shoot. If you can't rent, see how they feel in your hand and how you like the trigger pull. Do you want a manual safety? Or a grip safety like the XDs? I like DA/SA with a decocker best, but also like the XD safety mechanism. And don't get the 1911 group started

Both are good guns. If you shot either yet, what did you think?

Last edited by KJG67; 01-27-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Some sort of deficiency within me.
Or Ruger has some lemons out there.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I've had moderate experience with both the G19 and the LC9. The LC9 is my EDC. It is concealable and accurate as hell for me. The G19 was the first handgun I ever shot and it just didn't feel right in my hands. However if this is for home defense I recommend the glock. Higher capacity+longer sight radius and less felt recoil than the LC9. However there are several other handguns I would recommend but I'll stick to the two mentioned in the OP

Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
but also like the XD safety mechanism.
Especially for CC. The XDS 9mm is gonna be a serious success, for average Joe's the XDS .45 is a little much in a pint size pistol.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #17

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post

Or Ruger has some lemons out there.
Hahaha I appreciate that, and I'm sure they do, as QC can only go so far when up against the laws of human error, but those I gave them to seem to do fine...

I also shoot my dad's 3913 often, da/sa. First shot is always terrible, follow up is great. I'm pretty sure it's me, it simply gives me too much time to anticipate the bang.

I have similar issues in Archery, can't use back tension releases worth a Dang, but standard trigger style are just right.

It's the darnedest thing and must have a lot to do with my lacking the virtue of patience to any degree considered normal. Lol

I've never had a problem with recognizing and admitting my own flaws/faults, even if it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #18

Wow thanks for all the input. Definitely got some things to reconsider