Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Handgun Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Handgun Help

Hey guys this is my first post. I'm trying to decide on a glock 19 gen 4 or a ruger LC9. Anyone have first hand experience with both??? Any suggestions. This is gonna be a "peace of mind" for home protection basically with some gun range use for fun. I'm trying to stay under 600

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Try and find a gen 3 if you can. Still would buy the glock though over the ruger. Not a fan of the plastic guns but some of them are great shooters if you can get used to the crappy triggers.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

I don't like either for protection. If you don't mind pulling a mile just to shoot one round then go the LC9. If you don't mind a complete lack of safety them go the Glock. I owned an LC9, worst trigger I've ever experienced side from its little lesser brother the LCP. Love Glock triggers, own the 30 in 45acp, but absolutely no safety and an easy short trigger pull are not my idea of protection, especially when waking from sleep.

Now the trigger on the LC9 may be fine for you, good, I hope so, jump on it.

If I were you I'd get the best of both worlds and jump on a Ruger SR9C. 2 mags for different capacities, both better than the LC9. Same quality trigger as the Glock, crisp, clean and short. And it has a manual safety of you wish to use it. It's a far superior gun than these two in my not at all humble, but definitely most honest opinion.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have the LC9 and it fullfills the role for which it was made, conceilability! Know, the "fun at range" part.... I dont know about that. The G19 will provide you with the fun and the firepower you need for a "home defense" handgun. What would i do? Get both! If not an option, the G19 all the way!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

The Ruger SR9c or Springfield XDM Compact is the way to go. Both of these guns are outfitted with a short grip for easier concealment or a longer grip for range use. It is done by an extended magazine and grip that comes with the pistols. They are also as safe as a gun can be. The SR9c has a manual safety and the XDM has a grip safety. A Smith and Wesson M&P Compact also has the grip conversion but usually has to be ordered special with a manual safety. For a do it all gun these are close. My wife has a LC9 and it's strictly a emergency pistol. Too small for any extended fun at the range. The SR9c will be the least expensive with the XDM Compact a little higher.

...and there's also the Springfield XD Compact (no 'M') same features as the XDM Compact but less expensive. With the XD you give up a refined trigger and 'Match' grade barrel. But the gun will perform fine and will shoot better than you can

Here's two pics of my XDM Compact, they are the same gun.

With short grip and magazine....

....and with extended grip and magazine.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 01-26-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 3323 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
I have the LC9 and it fullfills the role for which it was made, conceilability! Know, the "fun at range" part.... I dont know about that....
This^^^

Small guns make sacrifices in the areas of recoil, accuracy, reliability and/or grip comfort to allow them to be concealable.

My XD45 is very comfortable in the hand, accurate, and reliable as heck, but i would hate to conceal the thing all day, toooooooo chunky. It cost me $570 a couple of years ago.

If range fun is more important, don't discount the revolvers; my Ruger GP100 .357/.38 is one of my favority range/plinking pistols. It is fine with cheapo, soft-shooting .38 ammo for plinking, but wouldn't balk at wide open .357 ammo for hunting or defense. Its 6" barrel would make it a bit of a challenge to conceal though. It was $400, but was slightly shopworn.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

And then there's this...a Ruger LCR revolver, shoots .357 Magnum for serious defense and .38 Special for a less expensive lighter recoil shooting, Only 5 shots at 16 ozs. but it'll get the job done....I just like showing off my guns

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Glock 19. The LC9 has one of the worst triggers I've ever encountered , and I like some Rugers a lot. The LC9 just isn't one of them.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Glock 19. The LC9 has one of the worst triggers I've ever encountered , and I like some Rugers a lot. The LC9 just isn't one of them.
I think it's a great gun for new shooters.The manual thumb safety combined with the long pull adds a level of safety until they get more familer with handleing firearms.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #10

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

I just don't think of the LC9 as being a great gun for beginners to try to learn trigger control with. It's kind of like a double action only snub nised revolver. They tend to discourage a lot of new shooters because they really are kind of difficult to learn on.