Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First handgun help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the help. I stopped into a gun store in town and held a few. I found one that really stood out to me, the Springfield XDM 40. I love the feel of it in my hand, the trigger safety and the palm safety, and the grip is great. I think I may go with that one. And i'm glad for all the personal opinions, I like to know who buys what and why. What do you guys think of a .40 cal? The guy said it would be less recoil in comparison to the .45 because the .40 shoots faster and is lighter. How do you feel about that?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I stopped into a gun store in town and held a few. I found one that really stood out to me, the Springfield XDM 40. I love the feel of it in my hand, the trigger safety and the palm safety, and the grip is great. I think I may go with that one. And i'm glad for all the personal opinions, I like to know who buys what and why. What do you guys think of a .40 cal? The guy said it would be less recoil in comparison to the .45 because the .40 shoots faster and is lighter. How do you feel about that?
I owned a xd40sc for a couple years and I loved it. Never had a problem and it was a very accurate little pistol. Like the .40 round as well.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 223 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Springfield XDs are reliable, durable guns. They're also very common, which translates to more affordable parts and accessories. 40sw is a pretty versatile round. Good combination of size and speed, and generally available and affordable. FMJ can be found for $12-20/box of 50. JHP costs about the same as 9mm...$20-40/box.

I've heard the lighter 135gr is the best self defense round for 40s.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Kage, if you like it and it fits your hand well, you're on the right track. Springfield XDs are good weapons, some think they are the best striker fired pistols available.

However, before you buy it, try to rent it and fire it at a range. Try out the different calibers and see which one you like best. With the right ammo 9mm, .40 and .45 are all good.

Personally, I prefer .45 because I find it very enjoyable to shoot and it has a good track record as a fight stopper. I found .40 recoil to be more snappy, .45 feels more like a slow push. It's easier for me to get hits with a .45, so that's what I carry for self defense.

As JD recommended, I'd get a .22 for cheap practice in addition to your SD weapon. It doesn't have to be anything too expensive, just a decent plinker to hone your skills and work on the basics.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #15

Here's a thought. If you know the department you want to work for, find out their policy on backup guns. If you are allowed to carry a backup, I would strongly suggest that you plan to do so, and there's a good chance the policy will list specific guns you are permitted to carry. If you are spending the money to buy, you might as well get something you can also use on duty.

That's my two cents.

GatorswithGuns

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the people's liberty's teeth. - George Washington