First handgun help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First handgun help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First handgun help

Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am going to join the police force, and need a pistol to start target practice. I've never owned a handgun, and haven't shot many, so I'm looking to get one for target practice. I wont be in competitions or anything. I thought I'd go with a 9mm, but I also figured, maybe I should just get used to a .45, since that is standard issue in Wyoming for police. I looked at a Glock 17 and didn't like it for 2 reasons, 1. it felt like plastic and 2. I didn't like the safety. However, I did like the simple design. So what I'm looking for is something that is user friendly in terms of breakdown, and should I go with a 9mm or a .45. I really love the 1911 models, and would like to get one of those, or another .45 for the punch, but what would be a good starter handgun? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Find out what the local law enforcement uses and go with that for now in type of handgun and caliber too just to familiarize yourself. Also, get some training, the local gunshops should be able to helpp you with that.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

What is the Best Pistol for Police Officers?

Some good info here for ya!!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I would get a .45 if it were me,so you are used to it.And get a 2nd gun in .22 to do alot of practice with

Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have a .45 & they are not cheap to feed; 9mm is a little less expensive. If i had never used a handgun regularly & needed to gain proficiency enough to work as a cop, i'd go get a .22 for lots & lots of practice first, with an eye to pick up a .45 or 9mm later for defense/work.

I don't think i would want to learn to shoot a pistol with a .45, personally.

Don't forget the earplugs!

edit * basically what ninja said, but i'd get the .22 first.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I actually read a newspaper article from here(michigan)and the police academy is thinking of starting with airsoft guns to beat the ammo situation.I actually got some airsoft handguns before I got real guns.They are nice to practice with at midnight in your house.I had a 20ft away target or so,and it gave me alot of beginning basic practice.They make easy work of punching through paper on a flat trajectory at 20 feet.I'm thinking of getting some more airsoft guns to train shooting at targets while moving in my house.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

Personally I prefer a 45.
I recently traded my crappy Taurus pt745 for a Glock 30.
Double stack mag holds 10 rounds.
Very accurate, well built weapon, though a bit expensive.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, I have looked at this thread about 5 times, and I have refrained from answering for a number of reasons. These threads always turn into personal taste and that is a slippery slope for a new purchaser....

But, in the interest of getting you some real world information.....

You shouldn't purchase a weapon based on what the PD that you THINK is going to hire you carries. What if they have a hiring freeze? What if you just flat bomb their test, but you ace the one for one county over and they carry a completely different weapon? What then? What if the PD you get hired at, isn't the one where you end up being stationed at after the academy??

Now, in the interest of learning to shoot, and only from looking at your position from that aspect, here is what a lot of people recommend.

1) See if you can get some range time at a local pistol range that rents handguns. Perhaps they even have an introductory firearms class.

2) Try several different types, makes and models, but try to stay away from the biggest, baddest, shiniest thing in the cabinet. Try small calibers like the .22lr or the .38spl

3) Learn to shoot consistent groups. It doesn't matter when you start if you hit the bullseye or not, it matters if you can put the rounds together on the paper. If you shoot 2 bullseyes, but you have rounds that are barely on the paper, you are going to have one hell of a lot of corrections to make in your shooting evolution.

However: If your shooting a whole bunch of holes in a lower left, or lower right portion of the target, and your holes are close to each other, getting that group of bullets closer to the bullseye is going to take a lot less effort.

More to follow later....

JD

Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 36

There are some great 9mm options for under $500. I just picked up a new CZ 75B 9mm for $419...great gun.

But for your situation I'd actually recommend looking into the Sig Classic 22lr progression kits. It's a program set up by Sig Sauer for new shooters. Basically, you shell out about $500 for a Sig P220, P226, or P229. It's the full-sized gun, but chambered in 22lr (very cheap practice ammo). You also receive a coupon that gets you a larger caliber conversion from Sig for $399.95. So you've got about $900 into the gun, but it's a relative bargain. The large caliber version of these guns typically sell for $800-900 on their own, and 22lr conversions go for about $300. It's not that I'm some die-hard Sig guy, and I understand that this is a fair chunk of change for a new shooter...but if it suits your budget, it's an option that makes a lot of sense.

The calibers available are as follows:

P220- .45acp
P226- 9mm, .357sig, or .40s&w (your choice)
P229- 9mm, .357sig, or .40s&w (your choice)

The .357sig and .40sw slides and mags are interchangeable. If you purchase the conversion for one, you can shoot the other through your gun by simply buying a barrell in that caliber (about $160). So for around $1000, you've got a high end gun that shoots 3 calibers. And should you ever choose to sell it, you can get upwards of 80% of your money back out if well maintained.

Last edited by sweeper22; 07-28-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #10

get a 1911 and you will never regret it

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."