first handgun buyer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > first handgun buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first handgun buyer

I'm looking for a new or used handgun that either a 9mm or a .45cal. I would like at least a 4" barrel and full sized grip (not a compact or sub compact) and I have about $400-$500 to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good handgun that fits the above criteria?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

My hand is probably different than yours, otherwise I would say that the whole world would have a 1911.

Go to stores and fit out what fits you and not me.

Find a place that rents firearms. What I can handle is probably different than what you can handle.

Of course, you did attend some proper firearms training course! One subject area is how to grip a firearm properly and find one that fits.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

You haven't given much info that could help with hand-to-gun fit.
The high capacity semi-autos have thick grips (to contain a double stack magazine). These guns are best suited for larger hands. Medium to smaller hands often cannot wrap around the grip and access the trigger comfortably and in a manner that does not pull the gun off center upon firing the gun.
Those people would usually be better of with a single stack magazine semi- auto - just from a fit point of view. Compact semi-autos often work well here.

The 1911 is a large frame gun and even though it is a single stack, smaller handed people tend to have difficulty with them also.

Go to gun shops and try out fits. Better yet, go to ranges that rent guns - and try out.

You have not specified whether revolver or semi-auto... There is a big difference - especially for a new shooter.

You should go out into the would - the gun shops and ranges -and get a feel for what is there. But do not let a salesman hustle you into a purchase. Go in, learn, and go out. Then digest what you have learned. Then go do it again.

Last edited by Colby; 01-19-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASH1456 View Post
I'm looking for a new or used handgun that either a 9mm or a .45cal. I would like at least a 4" barrel and full sized grip (not a compact or sub compact) and I have about $400-$500 to spend. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good handgun that fits the above criteria?
Dozens--Get some experience with some thru range visits, friends ect --

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

All great advise above. You also didn't mention what your intentions with it are. That could steer you in a different direction. Again, if you haven't taken at least a basic pistol class, do that first before you buy anything. They should have rentals for you to shoot. Then hold and preferably fire several models to see what fits your hands best and which trigger action you prefer. There's no best gun but the people here can point you in the right direction.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

http://e-sarcoinc.com/pistols-2.aspx

Look at the Hi-Powers for 9mm or any of the 1911. The Systema and Colts have grip safety, the Ballestar Molina do not. But I would not turn my nose up at them at all. Were I in the market for a new 45, it would be the one.

Also... http://e-sarcoinc.com/starpistols-2.aspx

&... http://e-sarcoinc.com/rockislandpistols.aspx

Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

I'm looking for a home defense Handgun. My buddy has a glock 21 that I shoot a lot but, the grip is kinda to wide for my hand. I shot my buddys rock island armory 1911 a few days ago and I absolutely loved it. So I'm leaning towards a 1911 right now. Plus the local gun stores have the tactical versions for $425-$475.

Last edited by VASH1456; 01-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
http://e-sarcoinc.com/pistols-2.aspx

Look at the Hi-Powers for 9mm or any of the 1911. The Systema and Colts have grip safety, the Ballestar Molina do not. But I would not turn my nose up at them at all. Were I in the market for a new 45, it would be the one.

Also... http://e-sarcoinc.com/starpistols-2.aspx

&... http://e-sarcoinc.com/rockislandpistols.aspx
I've never heard of this star handguns before. Would you happen to know who makes them.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Quote:
I've never heard of this star handguns before. Would you happen to know who makes them.
You could find used on some auctions sites, but no more new.

You stated you like the 1911, then I would consider that. The RIA seems to have improved their quality over the last couple years.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #10

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:

Star is a now defunct Spanish manufacturer. No longer produced, hard to find parts for some of their models too. I own two and love them to death. Flawless running, eats everything! Very 1911esque.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-20-2013 at 06:59 PM.