First Handgun - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First Handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Not with a revolver, and for a novice they are steps that don't need to be added to learning safety and technique. Once they get the basics down pat they can move on to whatever they want, but following the KISS rule I always tell them to start simple.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on this. Does that sound good to you?
Agree to disagree. IMHO, autos just aren't that difficult...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

FWIW, I have always been partial to auto loaders. I like the idea of having more ammo than a revolver. I do not believe auto loaders are difficult. The first handgun I shot was an auto loader when I was in High School. Up to that point I had only fired .22 rifles (bolt and semi-auto). Both auto-loaders and revolvers that are properly maintained will go bang when you squeeze the trigger. Yes, one must rack the slide back on an auto loader but it doesn't detract from the fundamentals of shooting.

Also, I learned to drive on a stick shift. If I could drive a manual transmission then I could drive anything. Same goes with learning to shoot on auto loaders. If I can shoot an auto loader then I can shoot anything.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #33

Shot my Wather PPQ 9mm yesterday for the first time. Before this I had only shot once, a 22 revolver in my grandfathers basement. Been shooting bbs since I was 8. Let me tel you, I'm glad I didn't go with a larger caliber for my first gun. I was surprised be the recoil, I was expecting a bit less!
Hows this for my first time? Shot this from 25'.
2012-05-21-15.23.16.jpg  

Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #34

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusterleXD View Post
FWIW, I have always been partial to auto loaders. I like the idea of having more ammo than a revolver. I do not believe auto loaders are difficult. The first handgun I shot was an auto loader when I was in High School. Up to that point I had only fired .22 rifles (bolt and semi-auto). Both auto-loaders and revolvers that are properly maintained will go bang when you squeeze the trigger. Yes, one must rack the slide back on an auto loader but it doesn't detract from the fundamentals of shooting.

Also, I learned to drive on a stick shift. If I could drive a manual transmission then I could drive anything. Same goes with learning to shoot on auto loaders. If I can shoot an auto loader then I can shoot anything.
My motivation is lower recoil.

I've fired a few revolvers, and they were well-made,

and shot well. I tried before I bought. I simply

prefer auto-loaders. Should I purchase a pistol

because other people like it better?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My argument was in favor of learning to shoot on an auto loading pistol. I prefer my XD and my 1911. I enjoy the lower recoil, lighter trigger pull, and ammo capacity of an auto loader. If I can handle an FTF situation then I can handle a revolver.

That being said, I encourage all shooters to shoot the weapon they prefer. One should shoot what they are most comfortable with albeit an auto loader, revolver, or single shot breech loader.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #36

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I bought my second gun 3 weeks ago which is a Glock 19 Gen 3 brand new for $530 with 2 mags. VERY good kick a$$ gun. Im in Texas so may be a little cheaper but $550 is high for used. Glock is a very good, reliable, accurate gun. Easy to take down, easy to clean, everything you want in a gun, specially for your first. I think you should check prices in your area first and compare. IMO if im goin to spend several hundred dollars, might as well go new.