First Handgun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First Handgun


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Billwelds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 19
Default

Thank you guys for all of your help!
Billwelds is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoop2622's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 11
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I dont recommend Glock as a first gun
i bought a glock 22 gen 4 for my first and think its the best buy i ever made
scoop2622 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

First handgun? Buy a quality revolver.

No, I am not prejudiced against auto-loaders. I own several of them. I just think that you need to become proficient as a shooter before you add in all the other skills you will need with an auto-loader.

I don't care what your gender, size, race, religion, or political leaning is. I always give the same advice to new handgun shooters, and that includes my daughter. She learned how to safely and accurately shoot with a Ruger SP 101 without having to worry about all the drills involved with failures to feed and failures to fire. That Ruger still occupies a warm place in her heart, but after months of drills and practice her Sig 1911 is now her primary carry weapon. Ya gotta love a girl that chooses a 1911. That's my kid.
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Glocksrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
I dont recommend Glock as a first gun
I bought a glock g23 as my first handgun. And love it. It is basicly the g19 in .40 but I would say try and shoot a few guns at a range to see what you are comfortable with before you buy if you can.
Glocksrock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,698
Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
First handgun? Buy a quality revolver.

No, I am not prejudiced against auto-loaders. I own several of them. I just think that you need to become proficient as a shooter before you add in all the other skills you will need with an auto-loader.

I don't care what your gender, size, race, religion, or political leaning is. I always give the same advice to new handgun shooters, and that includes my daughter. She learned how to safely and accurately shoot with a Ruger SP 101 without having to worry about all the drills involved with failures to feed and failures to fire. That Ruger still occupies a warm place in her heart, but after months of drills and practice her Sig 1911 is now her primary carry weapon. Ya gotta love a girl that chooses a 1911. That's my kid.
I have to respectfully disagree. Autoloaders soak up a lot of recoil,

and have come a long way in the last couple decades. Many of them

have even caught up to the 1911A1, in quality, safety, and dependability.

I don't own a revolver, and I may never own one.

FTF and FTE drills are simply part of the territory.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,140
Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Default

Out of everything in my collection, I find my XDM is the simplest to operate and maintain.
__________________
Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Billwelds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 19
Default First Handgun

Got a Walther PPQ 9mm. There was nothing I could do, I held that sexy lady and it was as if it was custom made for my hand and my hand only!
Thanks for all the advise!
Billwelds is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwelds View Post
Got a Walther PPQ 9mm. There was nothing I could do, I held that sexy lady and it was as if it was custom made for my hand and my hand only!
Thanks for all the advise!
Bill, especially being from NJ, you need to place a picture of it here or it just didn't happen...
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
FTF and FTE drills are simply part of the territory.
Not with a revolver, and for a novice they are steps that don't need to be added to learning safety and technique. Once they get the basics down pat they can move on to whatever they want, but following the KISS rule I always tell them to start simple.

Of course I always tell new drivers to learn with an automatic. If they want to drive stick they can learn that later. It's much easier to learn a skill if you keep it to the bare necessities at the beginning.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on this. Does that sound good to you?
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Donn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,060
Liked 478 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

First handgun? Think about a revolver. They tend to be more reliable and user friendly than auto pistols. You'll sacrifice ammo capacity, but a .357mag? You won't need too many to neutralize a threat, and with a wheelgun, you're always C1.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.
Donn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best handgun overall rem870forever Semi-Auto Handguns 194 09-18-2012 01:15 AM
handgun Mack g17 General Handgun Discussion 35 05-25-2012 03:26 PM
Looking for my First Handgun DrP32 Semi-Auto Handguns 3 01-30-2011 11:53 PM
Looking to get my first handgun WormDirt General Handgun Discussion 23 07-07-2010 01:34 AM
First Handgun - What .45 NitroxAZ General Handgun Discussion 16 06-03-2009 02:50 AM



Newest Threads