First handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default First handgun

This will be my first handgun I buy (not handed down ) and I was wondering what would be the general best choice for that I do not want a revolver , preferably a 9mm because I have so much ammo for it and able to put a flash light on the bottom rail but not nessary and plz throw all bias aside for this guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I suggest you go to some local gunshops and look at their inventory to see what fits the bill. I'm of course partial to Springfield and Ruger, because I own both and love them. Putting my biase aside look for what feels the best to you and will fit the bill.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #3

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Well....gotta put my .02 in and say a glock 17/19. IMO can't get much better. There's a plethora of options but that's what I chose and almost 3000 rounds later and still happy

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I love revolvers, but have yet to find a gun that fits my hand like a Sig p220 Elite. Maybe I should be looking at one of those instead of a 1911 for my next purchase...

Of course I'm sure your hands are a different size/shape than mine.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I always have thought the Beretta 92 and all it's variants are awesome guns,my buddy has a 92(9mm) and 96(.40) and they just seem to be reliable solid tanks.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 AM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah those are good, but they have their flaws too, just like any others.

IMO and in my experience, for me, the grip is too fat for me to hang onto. Don't really care for the slide mounted safety, because my issued holster would constantly disengage it.

It's a solid shooter, reliable, good capacity....

Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 AM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

If advice is what you are seeking then I would like to put in my two cents as well. There are a million and one options out there for a solid 9mm platform that would all serve as a wonderful place to start. Do yourself a favor and think about how you are using this weapon. Is it recreational only? Will you be using it under concealed carry? I personally wanted something for recreational and home defense purposes. My selection was in favor of the Ruger SR9 full size. Other weapons I considered included the Glock 17 and 19, FN Herstals FNP-9, Sig 226 and 229, Springfield XD9 and XDM9, and a number of others. I wrote down my criteria ( What features do I want, what do I not want, what could go either way) such as external safety, trigger action, capacity, etc. By using this list I eliminated a number of firearms simply because they lacked some of the features I wanted. From there I youtubed the remaining models to get an initial impression and once I had it down to only a few models I went to the gun shop and spent an hour or so looking those few over and chatting up the guy behind the counter to get his input. It was important to me to eliminate in phases and consequently limit how many options I had in front of me... Now, 3000+ rounds later, I am still very happy with this purchase and so are a couple buddies who frequently get to use it...

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 252 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 33

For a railed 9mm, most polymers are solid guns of similar quality. Buy whatever has the fit, controls, and finish that suits you.

If you want a railed metal 9mm, I'd take a hard look at Sig P226/P229 and CZ 75 SP-01.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

werminator has some really good advise on this and makes a lot of sense. try to find something you are happy with and fits you. don't base your decision off what others have or shoot, because everyone is different. i recently purchased another 40 s-w pistol to replace one i had trade a couple of years ago. at first i thought i wanted a Glock, but found the SA XDm40 fit so much better in my hand. i have shot Glocks before and liked them and would buy one if the price is right, but i really like the XDm40 better. a pistol is a very personal choice and the one you buy, might not be the right one for you after you have shot many rounds through it. but not to worry, the search for the right handgun is a fun and rewarding quest!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Read and heed what these people are saying.

Just because your buddy has (and can shoot effectively) the latest model, does not mean that you can too.

I have seen old geezers outshoot youngin's with their revolvers.
The keys to any shooting is still the basics. Going out to the range to shoot bullets is just that if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)