First hand gun purchase is closing in... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First hand gun purchase is closing in...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Welcome aboard.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #12

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Well, my first suggestion is to move out of Illinois.

I have a Mosquito, and I have had problems with it. A friend at work has one, and his has been great. But if you have large hands, it is a smallish gun, even if you find one you know is reliable. The Walther P22 is even smaller.

Rugers and Buckmarks are great guns. They are very reliable, they're easy to find, and there are plenty of after-market parts available, especially for the Rugers.

There are a number of .22 models available that are functional replicas of other guns. The GSG 1911 that Cane mentioned, the Mosquito, etc. I think I read recently that S&W is coming out (or has already) with an M&P in .22. They are built so that people can get more practice time with something that has the same controls/control placement as their full-size, larger-caliber gun. If you are thinking of picking up a larger gun later, this might appeal to you. If you do go this route, though, I recommend that you be very sure of which platform you will want later (i.e., 1911, DA/SA Sig, etc.). Because if you change platforms, you will have defeated the purpose of having that particular .22.

If you don't want a bigger gun later, or if you don't know which one you might want, I suggest you stick with a Ruger or Buckmark.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

now what would you suggest a singe or double action? Please correct me if I am wrong, a single action begins with pulling back the hammer for only the first round and will continue to fire. While the double action is a heavy trigger pull but does not require you to pull back the hammer for the first shot of a clip.

I am quite interested in the 1911's specifically GSG or the sig.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
If you do go this route, though, I recommend that you be very sure of which platform you will want later (i.e., 1911, DA/SA Sig, etc.). Because if you change platforms, you will have defeated the purpose of having that particular .22.
I don't agree with this as there are a great many things to learn with any handgun for an inexperienced shooter. Sight alignment, breathing, and most importantly, trigger control. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the firearms mentioned. You might want to look into revolvers, as well, and I would definitely recommend double-action no matter which way you go as it will help more with trigger control.

BTW, single and double-actions refer to the cocking and firing strokes of the firearm. Single-action means it fires the firearm only, so you have to pull the hammer back (cock the firearm) for each shot and double-action will cock and fire the gun.

Last edited by dallascj; 09-02-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #15

Liked 3315 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 2394

Try to find a nice, used 22LR with a 7" bull barrel.

IMO, a really great first pistol for the range.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
I have heard (through my own posts) the very same thing you just said. I will add that a very knowledgeable member brought to my attention and now will bring to yours if you don't know... the Ruger .22 is a headache to clean. The Browning is easier. Just something to keep in the back of your head!
Don't get concerned about reassembling a Ruger. I can have my Ruger reassembled in less than a minute. Practice will make near perfect and the Ruger is a fine, reliable handgun. I have owned mine nearly thirty years and have shot the snot out of it. It still proves reliable and when I purchased it, affordable. Ruger really stands behind its customer purchases with great customer service as well.

I'd go Ruger, and with a bull barrel. Watch for a clean used sidearm and it will last a looooooooong time!

Enjoy!

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascj View Post
I don't agree with this as there are a great many things to learn with any handgun for an inexperienced shooter. Sight alignment, breathing, and most importantly, trigger control. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the firearms mentioned. You might want to look into revolvers, as well, and I would definitely recommend double-action no matter which way you go as it will help more with trigger control.

BTW, single and double-actions refer to the cocking and firing strokes of the firearm. Single-action means it fires the firearm only, so you have to pull the hammer back (cock the firearm) for each shot and double-action will cock and fire the gun.
Maybe I was unclear. Many people get a particular .22 because it is a small-caliber clone of a gun they already have (or anticipate getting) and they want commonality of controls. For instance, if you have a nice 1911 in .45, you might pick up a GSG 1911. Both are single action, the safeties work the same, the grip angle is the same, etc. If you get the GSG 1911 first, then change your mind about getting the full-size version, you haven't achieved your goal of commonality of operation.

Of course they all are good platforms for learning and practicing the fundamentals of marksmanship. I was trying to make the point that if you aren't necessarily trying to make a .22 emulate a particular model/style of higher-caliber pistol, a Ruger or Buckmark is a great all-around choice. They are good platforms for learning and practicing marksmanship, they are widely available new and used and there is an incredible number of after-market parts for them.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #18

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

When I bought my first firearm, I wanted to be able to protect my home from the very first moment. So I bought a shotgun. I would suggest that before any plinking you find the money to purchase a shotgun for your home.

I don't know the stupid Illinois rules, though.

Then, once that is done, you should as quickly as possible purchase both a self-defense caliber handgun AND a .22lr pistol, which is great fun and good for practicing skills.

Since I think the .45 1911 is a really good choice for home protection, getting a 1911 in .22lr is a really good option. Any good practice with it will be able to transfer to your .45acp in the same platform (1911).

It is too bad that your state doesn't allow the GSG1911.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This one at Bud's says nothing about *no sales to IL* ?
GERG M1911CA 22LR BL 10RD CA APPROVED ! $342.00 SHIPS FREE

Be Well.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #20

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I for sure do not want a SA and would prefer a semi over a DA. I want a 1911 for a couple of reasons...size,style, and the fact I would like to eventually purchase a 1911 in .45.

I do have other prospects tho, compare and contrast if you all could and what specific model would be best. Also I want to shy away from those with major FTF's and FTE's problems.

S&W MP22
Walther p22
some type of 1911