Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First gun recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First gun recommendations?

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun and I was hoping someone could give me some input.

I'm looking for a basic, entry level handgun that is affordable (although cost isn't really an issue but I'd prefer not to spend an arm and a leg), reliable, and easy to maintain. In addition, I'd like to use a more affordable ammo but have some power behind it. Lastly, I plan to use the gun for recreational range shooting.

My thoughts:
I'm looking at some Springfield Armory XD-9mm or 40s. I'm leaning more towards the 9mm variant because, as I mentioned earlier, I'd like a little cheaper ammo. There isn't much of a price difference but I'd be saving a few dollars here and there with regards to ammo.

The price tag is around $460-$520 and that seems reasonable to me. Everything I've read has mentioned it to be a reliable weapon despite some earlier models having some rust issues on the slides. I plan to take care of the gun so I don't foresee that as a major issue. It seems super easy to clean... all you really have to do is unlock the slide lock and clean the recoil spring, barrel, the slide, and a few other components then oil everything up. Again, more affordable ammo... 9mm is smaller than the 40 but it still has some power behind it.

Most importantly, I like the safety features. I like the duck-tail/grip safety, 2nd trigger safety (the little trigger next to the trigger), and the ambidextrous slide release.

Any thoughts, input, or recommendations would be highly appreciated. I'm new to the forum so take it easy on the newbie. Just point me in the right direction and I'll do my research.

Thanks,
VX

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #2

Default 1st handgun

If you ask a hundred people about what handgun to buy first, I'm sure you will get 100 answers, all different.
My recomendation for anyone buying their first handgun is to purchase a revolver in .38 special with a four inch barrel and adjustable sights.
A Smith and Wesson would be a good choice.
You can load it down or hot depending on what you're after, leather for carry is everywhere, speed loaders can be used,etc.
Ammo is everywhere and cheap.
A 1st handgun is like learning to drive a car.
Learn on a stick shift and going on to an automatic is easy.
Learn on an automatic, well, have you ever seen someone try and drive a stick shift that has never driven one, its a funny thing to watch.
Master a .38 revolver, everything else comes easy after that.
Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2009 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.

The Springfield XD & XDm series are great guns. I have an XDm. 40 myself. I think you will find it to be an excellent choice. And 9mm will be the least expensive of the "major" rounds.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Check out the CZ's... Lots of fans these days!... Click:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 05-04-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3633

I recommend a 22 of some sort. You can shoot all day long on 10 or so bucks. Also helps ya to not develop a flinch.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I can start over and buy my first gun now...I will go with a 9mm CZ 75 all steel pistol (specifically CZ 75 SP01).

Lightweight polymer guns are great for carry but for range and HD, I prefer heavy (less felt recoil) pistols. YMMV.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
If you ask a hundred people about what handgun to buy first, I'm sure you will get 100 answers, all different.
My recomendation for anyone buying their first handgun is to purchase a revolver in .38 special with a four inch barrel and adjustable sights.
A Smith and Wesson would be a good choice.
You can load it down or hot depending on what you're after, leather for carry is everywhere, speed loaders can be used,etc.
Ammo is everywhere and cheap.
A 1st handgun is like learning to drive a car.
Learn on a stick shift and going on to an automatic is easy.
Learn on an automatic, well, have you ever seen someone try and drive a stick shift that has never driven one, its a funny thing to watch.
Master a .38 revolver, everything else comes easy after that.
Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.
Interesting analogy. Myself, I learned how to drive a stick first so I can understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to look into the S&W .38 and see what it has to offer.

I'm not a gun virgin. I have shot before, that being said, I would still consider myself a beginner. The tips are much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.

The Springfield XD & XDm series are great guns. I have an XDm. 40 myself. I think you will find it to be an excellent choice. And 9mm will be the least expensive of the "major" rounds.
I will be sure to stop by the intro thread and introduce myself.
My brother, a Marine, highly recommended anything from the XD series. He has a XD-.40 and an H&K .40. I vaguely remember shooting the SA XD and liking it but I didn't like the H&K .40.

He's currently in San Diego and I'm about an hour north of Chicago so shooting his gun is a little tough. I think I'm going to see if I can find a range where I can rent one and test fire it. I think that would be the smartest thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Check out the CZ's... Lots of fans these days!... Click:

CZ-USA -> Product Categories
Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I recommend a 22 of some sort. You can shoot all day long on 10 or so bucks. Also helps ya to not develop a flinch.
I'll look into the CZs. A .22 would be nice... as you stated you can shoot all day long with little cash.

Thanks!
-VX

Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Don't be afraid to look at used guns.

A vintage S&W wheel gun is hard to beat!

Cane's M19-3/357 Mag

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Don't be afraid to look at used guns.

A vintage S&W wheel gun is hard to beat!

Cane's M19-3/357 Mag
I wouldn't be opposed to a used gun if I knew that it was well taken care off.

Oh, and I remembered something that I wanted to ask. What are your guys opinions of SA, SA/DA, or DAO? In general? For beginners?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Springfield Armory makes a great and easy gun to maintain. You should also check out Glock they are very realible and also easy to maintain for a first time gun owner. I personally own both and love them!