Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > first gun questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first gun questions

Okay so i am looking at getting my first handgun its going to be a 9mm.

I have narrowed it down to three models.
XDm 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
Walther p99

has anyone shot all three if so what were the most noticeable differences between them?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Owned & shot all of them. Each is a duty size, polymer, striker fired, double stack 9mm. Each of them has different backstraps to adjust for your hand. My take on it: get whichever fits you best as there isn't much real difference between them...

Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #3

I own the Walther P99 and the XDm.
The Walther is by far my best hand gun. If I had to get rid of all my pistols but one it would be the one I kept.
It does not have the highest capacity but the P99AS model is basically a light double action trigger. It is a very light trigger and if the round does not go off you can pull the trigger again and try the round. And again, and again. Of course after the second pull ( at the range ) I would dump the round but your second strike capabilities with this pistol are infinite. It has a decocker which most poly striker fired pistols don't have. it has an ambidextrous mag release which is a little different than most but still very functional. I have no other guns with a mag release like this but every time I shoot it I have no problems remembering and dropping the mag.
The P99 is very accurate, feels like a custom fit and has very light recoil.

Also know that the Walther is about 200 more than the Smith&Wesson 99

Which for all practical purposes is the Walther, they even use the same mag. I use both Walther and SW99 mags in my Walther and they are exactly the same.
Walther even makes the frames for the SW99 while the rest of the SW99 parts are made here in the US. The SW99 is apparently SWs attempt to better sell the Walther design here in the US. The P99 has a higher price tag on it than the SW99 and Smith figured they could build basically the same gun and sell it for less here in the US. Walther agreed so long as they made the frames. SW agreed and the SW99 was born.
I don't normally like SW poly pistols. But if the SW99 is near the same gun my P99 is. I might be tempted to buy one.

XDm is also a great gun. Low felt recoil now comes in 4.5 and 3.8 inch barrels. Both have the 19+1 capacity the great looks and function of the XD/XDm family. If you were to find a HS2000 in your travels you could pick that up as well. It is the predecessor of the XD. Made by the same company that makes the XD/XDm and it just like the XD family is a fine gun, and it uses the XD magazines so you can get hi capacity mags. The XDm is also a very accurate pistol.

I recommend you kill two birds with one stone and look at the Walther SW combo pistol. SW99. It gives the SmithWesson name and the Walther design. Rather than the Walther over the M&P. You will also save a few hundred on the price.
XDm you can't go wrong with. Both great guns but the XDm does not have second strike+ capability. But still an excellent pistol.

Last edited by Freedom-1911; 06-21-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #4

Okay guy i went to the local range and got to shoot the XDm 9mm and i liked the way it felt and it shot great.

I would like to try out the walther p99 also but the range didnt have one for rent.

the thing i really like about the XDm is the price i have found it for as low as 550.00.
But the lowest i could find the walther for is 720.00 and i think that is a little to much to spend on my first gun.

And i did look into the S&W version of the p99 but i found a lot of negative reviews about it so i think i will steer clear of that one.

so if anyone has any other gun recommendations you are more than welcome to post um up,

Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3MAN View Post
And i did look into the S&W version of the p99 but i found a lot of negative reviews about it so i think i will steer clear of that one.
That's odd as the S&W99 is for all practical purposes the same gun. I've had 2 S&W99s and 2 Walther P99s and with the exception of the slide shape and rollmarks - the guns were identical. My son currently has one of the S&W99s I had and it still shoots and looks just dandy.

The only drawback I ever saw in this platform is holster selection, as not a lot of vendors embraced it like more mainstream guns...

Last edited by NGIB; 06-23-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom-1911 View Post
I own the Walther P99 and the XDm.
The Walther is by far my best hand gun. If I had to get rid of all my pistols but one it would be the one I kept.
It does not have the highest capacity but the P99AS model is basically a light double action trigger. It is a very light trigger and if the round does not go off you can pull the trigger again and try the round. And again, and again. Of course after the second pull ( at the range ) I would dump the round but your second strike capabilities with this pistol are infinite. It has a decocker which most poly striker fired pistols don't have. it has an ambidextrous mag release which is a little different than most but still very functional. I have no other guns with a mag release like this but every time I shoot it I have no problems remembering and dropping the mag.
The P99 is very accurate, feels like a custom fit and has very light recoil.

Also know that the Walther is about 200 more than the Smith&Wesson 99

Which for all practical purposes is the Walther, they even use the same mag. I use both Walther and SW99 mags in my Walther and they are exactly the same.
Walther even makes the frames for the SW99 while the rest of the SW99 parts are made here in the US. The SW99 is apparently SWs attempt to better sell the Walther design here in the US. The P99 has a higher price tag on it than the SW99 and Smith figured they could build basically the same gun and sell it for less here in the US. Walther agreed so long as they made the frames. SW agreed and the SW99 was born.
I don't normally like SW poly pistols. But if the SW99 is near the same gun my P99 is. I might be tempted to buy one.

XDm is also a great gun. Low felt recoil now comes in 4.5 and 3.8 inch barrels. Both have the 19+1 capacity the great looks and function of the XD/XDm family. If you were to find a HS2000 in your travels you could pick that up as well. It is the predecessor of the XD. Made by the same company that makes the XD/XDm and it just like the XD family is a fine gun, and it uses the XD magazines so you can get hi capacity mags. The XDm is also a very accurate pistol.

I recommend you kill two birds with one stone and look at the Walther SW combo pistol. SW99. It gives the SmithWesson name and the Walther design. Rather than the Walther over the M&P. You will also save a few hundred on the price.
XDm you can't go wrong with. Both great guns but the XDm does not have second strike+ capability. But still an excellent pistol.
Please explain how the P99 has a decocker? That is interesting to me. Thanks for your time.

Colt New Agent 45ACP Talo Limited Edition
Glock 23 Gen 3 40S&W
H&K USP Compact 40S&W

Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

At about 6:30 in this video, the decocker is demonstrated.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-27-2010, 03:31 AM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

+1 for the Walther. Fantastic quality and you never see the other 2 in video games right? lol... All are fine weapons, only shot the walther so that's all I can recommend. It shot very well...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #9

Okay the more i look at the walther the more i want it lol.

but like i said the price is the only thing that has stopped me.
So does anyone know where i can get this gun for less that 700.00 new?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C3MAN View Post
Okay the more i look at the walther the more i want it lol.

but like i said the price is the only thing that has stopped me.
So does anyone know where i can get this gun for less that 700.00 new?
Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Bud's has new ones for around 650 and used in the low 500's.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA