First gun for girlfiend - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First gun for girlfiend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Tack, if you look back, I DID mention a ring might be more suitable

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #22

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Tack, if you look back, I DID mention a ring might be more suitable
Missed that, ok, terrible advice from everyone ESPECIALLY Trip!

LOL...the poor fellow is still free..fly away little bird, fly away.

Tack

Old 07-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #23

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

Missed that, ok, terrible advice from everyone ESPECIALLY Trip!

LOL...the poor fellow is still free..fly away little bird, fly away.

Tack
Thats no crap, spread your wings wide!!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Terrible Idea and Terrible Advice from everyone here!

Let her pick one?
Girlfriend, and your paying for it?
Her experience level? Who cares....

Rule 1 - only buy guns for yourself and your WIFE

Rule 2 - when buying guns for your wife ALWAYS begin with the gun YOU WANT MOST! Chances are she won't like it so you'll need to save up and try again....and again ...and again

Tack
Tack you know we could use this as blackmail material to your wife!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #25

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Tack you know we could use this as blackmail material to your wife!
Yeah but only CHL Chris knows my true identity and he knows better. Truth be told I'm more of a "sneak em into the safe" buyer than a faux "buy em for her" guy anyway.

Think I'm up to 6 now that fall into the "what she don't know" category.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 AM   #26

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Yeah..I went through this a while back with my Mrs. I thought because she didn't seem to like autos tha a revolver might be the way to go. And with being a small handed woman that a small 38 would be the ticket. She hated it...She much more liked my old mod. 28 smith over a 637 air-weight. She says all guns smaller than her hands are useless. So now I have a air-weight pocket gun to pack around and I'll be looking for something along the GP100 area...She hates plastic guns more than small ones.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:29 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22397 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yeah but only CHL Chris knows my true identity and he knows better. Truth be told I'm more of a "sneak em into the safe" buyer than a faux "buy em for her" guy anyway.

Think I'm up to 6 now that fall into the "what she don't know" category.
i'm with you Tack! my goal is to have so many guns that i could buy ten at one time and my wife wouldn't be the wiser!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #28

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
Yeah..I went through this a while back with my Mrs. I thought because she didn't seem to like autos tha a revolver might be the way to go. And with being a small handed woman that a small 38 would be the ticket. She hated it...She much more liked my old mod. 28 smith over a 637 air-weight. She says all guns smaller than her hands are useless. So now I have a air-weight pocket gun to pack around and I'll be looking for something along the GP100 area...She hates plastic guns more than small ones.
Yea my girlfriend has small hands so I was worried about how many guns would fit comfortably in her hands. But the 637 fit as close as perfect for her. The lcr was to bulky with that big rubber grip. She's now upset she has to wait 2 more months to get it haha.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #29
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

FearTheFree,

Trip286 and Axxe55 are exactly right. Any gun can be turned shocking pink with Duracoat and custom grips, so there is no reason to choose a firearm based on color. Also, borrow some guns from friends or rent from a range and let her try as many as possible. I got a huge surprise when I did.

My wife was brand new to shooting, so I took her to an indoor range that rented guns. I told her we would shoot until their was something she liked i started at .22, .25, .32, both semi-auto and revolver. She wasn't impressed. We moved on to 9mm, .38 spec, .357 mag, .40 S&W, 10mm. She didn't like any of them! She picked up the final gun, a Para-Ordnance-12 .45, pointed it downrange and fired - *BOOM!* a smile appeared on her face and she said, "I LIKE this!". She proceeded to send three boxes of reloads downrange before asking, "How much for this one?". Today dhe carries a Glock 21 (.45) with a match barrel and a Streamlight M-6 laser/flashlight on the rail and extended mags!

Our "wilting flowers" sometimes surprise us! A firearm is a very personal choice. If you wouldn't want her choosing one for you, don't do it for her. Let her have the fun of choosing it and making it her own! Also, follow up gifts can be gift certificates for a reputable holster maker or training coupons at an advanced firearms school. These can make for wonderful weekend trips together.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
FearTheFree,

Trip286 and Axxe55 are exactly right. Any gun can be turned shocking pink with Duracoat and custom grips, so there is no reason to choose a firearm based on color. Also, borrow some guns from friends or rent from a range and let her try as many as possible. I got a huge surprise when I did.

My wife was brand new to shooting, so I took her to an indoor range that rented guns. I told her we would shoot until their was something she liked i started at .22, .25, .32, both semi-auto and revolver. She wasn't impressed. We moved on to 9mm, .38 spec, .357 mag, .40 S&W, 10mm. She didn't like any of them! She picked up the final gun, a Para-Ordnance-12 .45, pointed it downrange and fired - *BOOM!* a smile appeared on her face and she said, "I LIKE this!". She proceeded to send three boxes of reloads downrange before asking, "How much for this one?". Today dhe carries a Glock 21 (.45) with a match barrel and a Streamlight M-6 laser/flashlight on the rail and extended mags!

Our "wilting flowers" sometimes surprise us! A firearm is a very personal choice. If you wouldn't want her choosing one for you, don't do it for her. Let her have the fun of choosing it and making it her own! Also, follow up gifts can be gift certificates for a reputable holster maker or training coupons at an advanced firearms school. These can make for wonderful weekend trips together.
Yea my girlfriends hands are a little to small for a glock 21 haha but that's awesome. Yea I never said I was going to choose for her but I just wanted to inform her on guns she might like. Just basing it off of size and a few things I've seen watching YouTube videos of woman reviewing guns. But great tips though thank u

Newest Threads