Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First gun for girlfiend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Default First gun for girlfiend

My girlfriend is turning 21 soon and wants to purchase a gun for her bday. What I haven't told her is I'll be paying for it :-). I've been doing research on different types from revolvers to semi-autos. Just to see what's all out there. There is a catch though she wants something that comes with pink on it. I know it will come down to what feels good in her hands and is comfortable for her. But my question is, what experience do you fellow members have with this subject? With your GF or wives. She wants something she can carry after she practices and becomes proficient with. But also can shoot at the range for awhile without it becoming uncomfortable. I've looked at the SW 637, the Ruger Lc9. Remember it has to be something where the pink factors in or where I can purchase pink grips. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #2

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Well to be honest I would say look into a 22 to start with. Cheap ammo means you can practice alot and really get a feel for shooting. After that probably glocks would be a good starter for 9mm.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16830 Times on 9754 Posts
Likes Given: 43896

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFree7 View Post
My girlfriend is turning 21 soon and wants to purchase a gun for her bday. What I haven't told her is I'll be paying for it :-). I've been doing research on different types from revolvers to semi-autos. Just to see what's all out there. There is a catch though she wants something that comes with pink on it. I know it will come down to what feels good in her hands and is comfortable for her. But my question is, what experience do you fellow members have with this subject? With your GF or wives. She wants something she can carry after she practices and becomes proficient with. But also can shoot at the range for awhile without it becoming uncomfortable. I've looked at the SW 637, the Ruger Lc9. Remember it has to be something where the pink factors in or where I can purchase pink grips. Thanks in advance for any responses.
first order of business is, how much experiance does she have shooting pistols? if none then a 22 rimfire pistol would be a good starting place. second if she does have some shooting experiance, then let her pick what fits her hand. a pistol is kind of personal and similar to buying shoes. you may know her size and what she likes, but without her trying them on, they may never fit properly. a pistol that fits the hand well will be much better as far as accuracy and dealing with recoil. take her to several gun shops and let her handle a bunch of them until she finds one that really suits her. that's what i did with my wife.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #4

She does have experience with handguns and knows the basics from shooting with her dad and now me. She has handled a 44 mag and my 45 so it doesn't have to be a 22. But yes we have gone to different shops to just browse first. She wants to go again and start handling them now. Didn't at first because she is already excited and wants to be 21 now and she didn't want to get overly excited cause it's still a few months away. It's just with the SW 637 I heard it gets to be a pain to shoot. Not sure if this was with +p rounds or just standard loads. With that barrel being so short. And I heard the LC9 trigger isn't all that great.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16830 Times on 9754 Posts
Likes Given: 43896

Quote:
She does have experience with handguns and knows the basics from shooting with her dad and now me. She has handled a 44 mag and my 45 so it doesn't have to be a 22. But yes we have gone to different shops to just browse first. She wants to go again and start handling them now. Didn't at first because she is already excited and wants to be 21 now and she didn't want to get overly excited cause it's still a few months away. It's just with the SW 637 I heard it gets to be a pain to shoot. Not sure if this was with +p rounds or just standard loads. With that barrel being so short. And I heard the LC9 trigger isn't all that great.
okay now that she does have some experiance with pistols, then my original suggestion still applies. have her handle several different ones. if there are any ranges that rent guns, take her shooting to see what suits her. one of the reasons 9mm is suggested is that it's ammo is the cheapest of centerfire pistols and allows cheaper practice. practice will make one better at hitting a target accurately. let her choose what suits her.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #6

Thank you for everyone that responded. First time posting and I greatly appreciate the fast responses.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Something I've said before, when it comes to big purchases (guns, cars, homes, boats, etc., etc...) I think the first purchase like that should be a ring. That's just my personal opinion.

She has already decided that she wants a gun, has some experience with guns, and knows a few things that are a "must have", such as something involving pink.

So let her pick. If she doesn't know you plan to purchase it for her, just let it appear as if your helping her do the research for it, and when the buy date comes around, plunk your money down. Then hook her up with her pink grips, pinked out slide, or whatever may be available.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #8

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Something I've said before, when it comes to big purchases (guns, cars, homes, boats, etc., etc...) I think the first purchase like that should be a ring. That's just my personal opinion.

She has already decided that she wants a gun, has some experience with guns, and knows a few things that are a "must have", such as something involving pink.

So let her pick. If she doesn't know you plan to purchase it for her, just let it appear as if your helping her do the research for it, and when the buy date comes around, plunk your money down. Then hook her up with her pink grips, pinked out slide, or whatever may be available.
Great advice!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Hi FearTheFree. We just got my girlfriend a Ruger LCR in 38 Special for $399. The 38 special is $100 cheaper and a lot lighter than the 357 version. It's one very sweet gun. IMHO all ya need is a 38 special (not 357 and not +P) for defense. I guarantee that I can 5 tap a target center mass in half the time it would take most with a 357. Skill, not caliber, is what counts. Her LCR is super light, reliable as dirt, has a butter smooth trigger, and is accurate as all heck. What's not to like. We both prefer revolver as they're more intuitive for us to deploy and shoot quickly and accurately. Plus there are no safeties or feed issues to deal with. My girlfriend is 67 and has gotten pretty good with her new LCR. I pity the poor soul she drops the hammer on. Recoil is no problem for her. I reload for both of us and I have a shooting range on my property so we practice a lot. I have a Ruger Redhawk and GP 100. But if I were CC'ing, it would be the LCR in 38 Special (not 357). They also make the LCR in 22 cal. Now there's something to be said for 22 caliber as the ammo is a whole lot cheaper, so you can practice more. I wouldn't feel a bit undergunned with a 22 for self defense. Again, skill, not power or caliber,will save your buns.

I have 8 years in the Marines and 40 + years of competitive shooting experience. I've won my share of IPSC matches and bowling pin shoots, all with a revolver. But to each his own (or her own). Your girlfriend needs to get whatever she's comfortable with, can deploy quickly, and shoot accurately and intuitively, be it an auto or a revolver. Oh ya. It's gotta be pretty.

Here's a link to a review of the LCR in 22 cal and why the 22 makes sense.

Here's a link to the LCR in 38 cal with pink grips of all things! (It's a good thing my girlfriend hasn't see this cause she'd want it!!!)
http://www.impactguns.com/ruger-lcr-pink-38-spl-limited-edition-5409-736676054091.aspx

Here's a must watch 15 minute video of the LCR 38 special by Hickok45. He does some serious long distance shooting at a gong 75 yards away with the LCR. He's a retired cop and has over 600 video reviews of guns on youtube. Regardless of what you end up getting your girlfriend, check his channel on youtube to see if he's reviewed it before you buy it.

Good luck and good shoot'n to you and your girlfriend.
And as always, BE SAFE ! ! !

Don <><

UPDATE: We just bought my girlfriend the Ruger LCR in 22 caliber. So she now has the LCR in both the 22 and 38. (I'm jealous! But I bought her the 22.) She's doing really well with the 38 but does even better with the 22, and the 22 is dirt cheap to shoot. 75% of her shooting is now with the 22 and 25% with the 38.

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 07-08-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #10

Liked 1706 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Let her pick one. Then let her check out the dura oat website and she can pick her colors to go on the gun after she picks a gun that will work for her.