First gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Check out the pistols on e-sarco.com, Hi Power clones under $300.
Gud idea but they are out-
Called Friday

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 03-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #12

Thanks for all the advice. Yes I do know how to handle guns. I have shotguns because I like to hunt, and I was looking for a handgun for carry. While I do agree that my life is worth more than 300 this would be a first handgun so I want something I can learn with before I get a pricier one.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #13

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsherono View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Yes I do know how to handle guns. I have shotguns because I like to hunt, and I was looking for a handgun for carry. While I do agree that my life is worth more than 300 this would be a first handgun so I want something I can learn with before I get a pricier one.
I might suggest, as someone who is fairly new to handguns...up your limit by about 100 bucks our so...it will open up some addirional doors. I recently purchased a S& W SD40 VE and love it. I shot several other models from friend s that were 500-600 models and found this one to be similar in stature and ability...for a novice that its. Good luck

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 03-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You can pick up a wheel gun for about that. I saw the new charter arms snubbies for $275-$350. They had a used air weight for $300 and new for $365.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #15

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Under $300 you will be limited.

Used is your best bet, but this is a bad time to try and find something. There are a few revolvers available for that price and you may be able to find a Smith & Wesson Model 10 used for that budget. It's a good starter handgun.

If you're looking more for training than defense, a .22 might be a good choice as well. The Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45, Beretta Neos, and Ruger SR22 are all good .22 autos.

I wouldn't recommend a Hi-Point unless you're just broke. I think they have an unfair reputation, but my main gripe is they are just too unusual for a semi-auto. The manual of arms will not lend itself well to other handguns. Then again, some of my above recommendations for a .22 will have a similar problem.

For a little more, Taurus makes some decent handguns that I can usually get at Academy for about $350. They make a decent semi-auto but I have heard a lot of bad reports with the .45 versions so you may want to keep it to 9mm and .40 S&W. I recommend 9mm for newbies anyway.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just picked up my first handgun. Beretta 92fs used for $450. The gun shop I went to only had a few new and used guns. I went in looking to buy a glock 26 but was talked into buying the beretta due to being a novice and the fact the person behind the counter fealty the beretta was a better choice for a novice.

I am glad I took his advice. Went to the range today and shot my beretta and my friends glock 26 and I was much more comfortable when shooting the beretta.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #17

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

S&W Sigma or HiPoint

Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #18

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Ruger p series from a pawn shop

Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #19

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1 View Post
Ruger p series from a pawn shop
Duh. Forget my advice on the Taurus, for $350 you can get a Ruger P95 brand new that will be as reliable as a SIG. Not an exaggeration. Used might be a little cheaper but difficult to come by.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #20

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretta9988
I just picked up my first handgun. Beretta 92fs used for $450. The gun shop I went to only had a few new and used guns. I went in looking to buy a glock 26 but was talked into buying the beretta due to being a novice and the fact the person behind the counter fealty the beretta was a better choice for a novice.

I am glad I took his advice. Went to the range today and shot my beretta and my friends glock 26 and I was much more comfortable when shooting the beretta.
Good choice you will love it

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"