First gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First gun

I am looking to buy my first handgun. It would be both for defense and at the range. Any suggestions? I am trying to keep it under 300 if possible.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1985 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsherono View Post
I am looking to buy my first handgun. It would be both for defense and at the range. Any suggestions? I am trying to keep it under 300 if possible.
under $300, I would suggest looking used. Try armslist.com

Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Sounds like a used shotgun to me.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2715 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

There are plenty of threads covering this topic, take a look around.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

To be perfectly honest. If it is for defense, is your life worth 300 dollars? I am not trying to be a troll here, I would recommend putting in at least another 200 or 300 dollars for a good handgun. Then, I recommend you try various handguns to see which one you are most comfortable and capable with. This includes calibers. Get the caliber that you can shoot with the most precision. Having a .44 magnum will not help you if you miss the target. You are going to get many opinions here. You just opened a can of worms. I highly recommend a gun that is Double action and single action, has a decocker and safety. This offers various carrying options for different situations, and gives you multi options to find out which you are more comfortable with. All the guns I recommend will cost at least 800 dollars. HK USP has all the above options and comes in 9, 40 and 45 calibers. You can also get as a compact. HK makes weapons for the battlefield, so the gun has acceptable capacity and is made to survive in all environments. The spring greatly reduces recoil on the gun even though it is "polymer gun". The sights are very good with a three dot system. There you go.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
To be perfectly honest. If it is for defense, is your life worth 300 dollars? I am not trying to be a troll here, I would recommend putting in at least another 200 or 300 dollars for a good handgun. Then, I recommend you try various handguns to see which one you are most comfortable and capable with. This includes calibers. Get the caliber that you can shoot with the most precision. Having a .44 magnum will not help you if you miss the target. You are going to get many opinions here. You just opened a can of worms. I highly recommend a gun that is Double action and single action, has a decocker and safety. This offers various carrying options for different situations, and gives you multi options to find out which you are more comfortable with. All the guns I recommend will cost at least 800 dollars. HK USP has all the above options and comes in 9, 40 and 45 calibers. You can also get as a compact. HK makes weapons for the battlefield, so the gun has acceptable capacity and is made to survive in all environments. The spring greatly reduces recoil on the gun even though it is "polymer gun". The sights are very good with a three dot system. There you go.
Exactly, I'm one those guys who says 'if your life is only worth $XXX.XX amount...' When purchasing NEW.. If you are stuck at this amount firm, I'd suggest looking into a used gun.. There are ranges locally that sell their rentals at a significant discount.
My personal advice is to save more money, even with just a couple hundred more a whole new world of options become available to you.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Have you shot before? Are you experienced in handgun operation, sfety and handling? If shooting is new to you, buy yourself a .22 and practice practice practice. When you achieve a level of confidence and accuracy then and only then should you consider a gun for carry. (I'm assuming you want to carry since you didn't say home defense) There are a lot of carry guns in that price range, most of them .380 and a few 9mm. None will do you much good without proper training. It's a learning process, start slow and keep at it. Owning a gun is a right and a privelege, and with that comes responsibility.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Get a hi-point-------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Get a hi-point-------
Normally id say go look around check out what fits you best but I think in this case I have to agree 300 is not much for a good pistol but at least with hipoint you get a good warranty they retail around 199 for the 9mm good luck with the ammo though the 40 and 45 are not much more like 239

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Check out the pistols on e-sarco.com, Hi Power clones under $300.