First gun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I have the GSG 22, got one of the first when they shipped. No issues to date w/~3K rounds down range. It eats most everything I feed it.

I have made some changes to the gun. I removed the magazine safety which brings the gun closer the the 1911 pattern. The one weak spot of the GSG is its cast guide rod. I replaced it with a machined steel rod from CWA and can say it's worth every penny of the $22 price tag.

CW Accessories

Like sweeper said, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy your 1911.
Sorry for the newb question.
But what is a mag safety?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #12

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF

Sorry for the newb question.
But what is a mag safety?
A gun equipped with a magazine safety means that it has a safety function to prevent the weapon from being fired when the magazine is not inserted and fully seated,regardless of whether there is still a round chambered.

This type of safety was designed with law enforcement in mind so that if the officer found himself in a scuffle and feared his gun may be taken from him, he could drop the magazine and take the gun out of the fight if I remember correctly.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #13

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

A gun equipped with a magazine safety means that it has a safety function to prevent the weapon from being fired when the magazine is not inserted and fully seated,regardless of whether there is still a round chambered.

This type of safety was designed with law enforcement in mind so that if the officer found himself in a scuffle and feared his gun may be taken from him, he could drop the magazine and take the gun out of the fight if I remember correctly.
Thanks good to know.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

There are .22 snap caps available if you like. Only ones I've seen are plastic so they don't last long & could get expensive if you do much of it. Plus, not as much fun as shooting at the range.

One reason I bought my GSG1911-22 is it had a rep of shooting the really cheap bulk ammo & mine did well with the Federal Bulk ammo, but you will get quite a few duds. Also, they have some kind of wax coating on them that will build up in the chamber & cause failures to go to battery. Just need to take extra care to clean the chamber.

A little better quality ammo, but not as expensive as the Mini Mags, is Blazer in the 500 round box & that is what I shoot the most now. One that I intend trying because it is supposed to be much cleaner is Winchester M22. But have only found it in 1000 round bulk pack at Wally World & I don't want to buy that much until I know it'll cycle in my wife's Bersa .22.

P.S. The earlier GSG .22s had a problem with the barrel bushing & they came out with an improved one to replace it. Might be a good idea to call ATI with your S/N to be sure if it has the upgraded bushing. If not, they'll send you one.

Last edited by gollygee; 09-14-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #15

Liked 328 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
P.S. The earlier GSG .22s had a problem with the barrel bushing & they came out with an improved one to replace it. Might be a good idea to call ATI with your S/N to be sure if it has the upgraded bushing. If not, they'll send you one.
I personally know of 4 shooters with GSGs. Two of them saw guide rods break in half, and one a barrel bushing break in half...all within about 500rds from new. I believe the bushing may have been a result of the barrel's thread cap coming loose. The guide rods were due 100% to that part being a severely cheap POS, and it's afflicted a ton of owners.

This gun does have some weak points. Very weak in fact. But if you know what you're getting into, you can circumvent most of the issues for under $40 and end up with a very solid range toy.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I own one. Had my barrel bushing break after about 1500 rounds. Called ati and they sent a replacement in a week. The replacement was much better.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #17

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Why dry fire a 22 when it costs .03 to fire it? I think it would take a lot of dry firing a 22 to cause peening. I dry fire my 10/22 every time I empty the mag and it runs great.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
Why dry fire a 22 when it costs .03 to fire it? I think it would take a lot of dry firing a 22 to cause peening. I dry fire my 10/22 every time I empty the mag and it runs great.

Would be a good for practicing trigger control, etc between trips to the range, assuming illegal to shoot it at home. Dry firing once during a function test may be required after cleaning, but I agree that, that shouldn't be enough to cause damage.

Newest Threads