Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default first gun

I am looking to buy my first gun. I am looking at the sw40ve. Is it a good Guy or any other suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I have the SW40V pretty much the same thing, I would say that it does what it was made to do, shoot. I would recomend that you get something with other safeties than just the trigger safety for your first gun. But if you want to buy it the main problem with it is the 12lb trigger. It is cheap and does what it is designed to do. There is nothing wrong with it, there are better guns to choose from but it works. Also please stop by the introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #3

I have a shoot gun. I am looking to get my ccw. I am looking for a low priced but good all aroung gun.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19504 Times on 11072 Posts
Likes Given: 49118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrizzell View Post
I am looking to buy my first gun. I am looking at the sw40ve. Is it a good Guy or any other suggestions.
welcome to the forum! stop over in the introductions section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

i am not as familiar with the Sigma line of Smith-Wesson pistols, but usually their pistols are pretty well made. i have handled the M-P series of theirs, and like them a lot. might want to check them out too.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quite a reliable gun, not a great trigger. Often can be found at prices that make it a relative bargain (under $300).

If it's any more than $300, that's too much to pay for a Sigma IMO. I think the Ruger SR9 (or SR40) is a far better gun and more concealable (since you mention carry). The Ruger SR series pistols can be found for under $400. Just my opinion. I've shot each of these guns but have never owned either.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2549 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have two older Sigma series pistols, a 40 and a 9. The triggers are acceptable. The newer "VE" series of Sigmas have the most God awful triggers S&W has ever produced.

The Sigmas feel good in the hand and WORK. Many people are very dissatisfied with the triggers and lose respect for S&W as a result. The M&P series are more expensive, IMHO worth every penny.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I have a Sigma. It was a gift. I would not be afraid to defend myself with it. I have no doubt that it would do the job. That said...I never carry it. I have a bunch of guns. Almost all of them are better shooters.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.