First Gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
But then it costs 10x as much to shoot.
True but 10x as useful if and when the SHTF. Personally I wouldn't want to spend more than $250 on a .22

Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Your post already stated what I was going to say. I chose the Remington 597 and have not looked back. It is reliable and accurate far beyond my expectations. I'm still planning on getting a volquartzen hammer and extractor for it to make it more accurate.

I had a marlin 60 for a long time as well. Very nice and accurate guns, I just don't like the tube feed.
I don't think I would really mind the tube feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
I know you said you weren't interested in customisation...but once you get into shooting more the bug may well bite!
I didn't mean that I wouldn't EVER be interested in gun customization, just that I couldn't, at this point, justify buying a more expensive .22 and have to buy a lot of stuff just to make it custom if I could find a cheaper rifle that would be better for me out of the box. That is a nice 1000 dollar .22 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Now if you do have a little more budget... ok, something that can be stretched to around $500... go put your hands on a Smith & Wesson M&P AR15-22. You'll will be ruined for anything less. heh-heh-heh

YouTube - Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22
Haha. A little more than I want to spend at this point. But did you see the grin on his face after he fired it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
You say you're looking to get into target shooting - this may well be why Missileman suggested bolt actions; they are simple to operate, uncomplicated (no gas systems to worry about) and less moving parts in operation means they are more accurate than semi autos. Why sniper rifles tend to be bolt action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
My bolt action recommendation was mostly from a safety/new shooter standpoint. With a bolt you must take positive action to reload following a shot--with a semi-auto it is ready to fire immediately, and I've seen too many new shooters forget that they have a live round in the chamber, accidentily fire, and/or lose muzzle control. That's why I never recommend a semi-auto as the first weapon, regardless of caliber, purpose, etc. You are young and have plenty of time to add a semi-auto to your arsenal later on once you are super safe and sufficient proficient. Just an old NRA coach's opinion...
Well I was getting pretty set on a Marlin Model 60 for the semi-autos, but then y'all answered the bolt action question. I have to say, that makes some sense. I'm trying to find a good "budget" bolt action 22, but I'm finding that they are a little harder to find/ more expensive, at least locally. (due to lower demand I guess?) I am also finding that doing price comparing/research for rifles is more difficult than some other things, so I am having a little trouble. It seems that the prices aren't quite accurate (usually inflated MSRPs), and can vary from place to place. I think I'm finding some now, though. I am looking at the Marlin Model 925 and the Savage Mark II G for bolt actions. I also saw the Mossberg 802 Plinkster, but the only ones that are listed as bolt actions are synthetic stocks, and I prefer wood. (This is of course secondary to getting the right gun for me, so if anyone knows why the Mossberg would be better than the Marlin or Savage let me know.) If anyone can comment on these or any others they may know of, please do so.

I really don't know whether to go with a semi-auto or a bolt action now, and I'm kinda torn. I really don't think the safety thing will be an issue, as I am pretty responsible and am able to keep my mind on what I am doing. And I don't know if having the bolt instead of a semi-auto would limit me in some of the shooting sports I might find I like. Plus, I can get that Model 60 for 150 or better locally. But I see the advantages a bolt action could give me as a new shooter, and they're kinda cool to me. This is difficult.....

Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #23

If you need an all around gun a Mossberg 500 / 590 or Remington 870 12 gauge is great. You have the slug barell to hunt White Tail Deer & larger game.

000 Buckshot is hard to beat as far as a defensive round + I have read but don't know from experience it is for Black Bear.

Do what ya will but this is my $.02.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #24

Big_Ben,

For a bolt gun you might look into the Savage MkII bolt actions. They are notoriously accurate out of the box. It should set you back a little over $200 (with the accutrigger). If you want to throw an inexpensive scope on it, probably $50-75. Throw some money into the budget for cleaning gear and something to store and transport it (can be one in the same).

I have all the fancy Ar-15s and AKs and just bought a new MkII last year. It is used to practice basic skills and for fun shoots. It goes to the range every trip, and gets shot more than any other gun I own.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 PM   #25

Savage's site is less than complete. Does anyone know what the differences between the Savage Mark II G, GL, GLY, and GY are?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 AM   #26

G = Right handed, Standard Length
GL = Left Handed, Standard Length
GY = Right Handed, Youth Sized
GLY = Left Handed, Youth SIzed

Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
I don't think I would really mind the tube feed.
The tube is basically the internal, non-removable magazine. In some models, such as the 10-22 & others, there is a removable external magazine. External magazines can be purchased for 10-22's that hold 50 rounds. It matters to some people.

Overall i really liked my Marlin 60 when i was younger & had more time to shoot.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2130 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 770

If you want a bolt action gun, I'd recommend the Savage as well. I just sold a bolt action Savage 93 17HMR. That was an excellent gun, but I traded it in on my .357 since I just wasn't shooting it much and didn't see shooting it much since I got the 15-22.

I'd still lean towards the Marlin as my first pick for what you've described.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA