Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2004 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Huh all .22s for first guns eh?
Well... getting a .22 first will give him more time to figure out if he's going to join the 9mm gang, the .40 clan, or the .45 mafia.

God forbid that he chooses to become a 10.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #12

Alright y'all, consider me convinced that I need to get a .22 rifle. Now I just need to decide what kind. I looked into the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597 and called Academy and Walmart and the prices are pretty good. The local gun stores are closed for the day, but I'll call them tomorrow and check with them because I'd rather support them if their prices are the same (or especially if they're lower!). I'll also ask the gun stores, Academy and Walmart about the Marlin Model 60.

Right now I'm poking around on the internet trying to figure out what kind of reliability issues I would get from each one. This is kinda hard since people have different experiences and opinions, but I am finding some commonalities. The consensus seems to be that there is more of an after-market market (is that redundant?) for the 10/22 than either the Marlin or the Remington. Some also said that the Remington would be better out of the box than the 10/22. I also read that the Remingtons had some sort of issue with the magazine, but that it had been fixed in the new ones. Also, I saw that the 10/22s need at least 200-300 rounds through them before they are reliable. This is all a lot to consider. On top of this, I don't know anything about the Marlin Model 60 except that some say it's junk and some say it's more accurate out of the box than a 10/22.

It is difficult to wade through all the different opinions. I don't think I'll be interested in a ton of customization with this first gun, so I'm leaning away from the 10/22. I just don't know if I should go with the Remington or the Ruger (or maybe the 10/22 if I'm missing something). I just don't want to buy something that jams every two rounds if it's even slightly dirty.

And all this is only for the semi-autos. Missileman suggested looking into bolt actions, and I don't even know where to begin with those. To him or anyone else who knows: Wwhy do you suggest the bolt action? Because of the simplicity or what?

I know I just wrote a book, and I'm sorry, but I want to avoid buying something I'll regret. Thanks again to all of you.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Your post already stated what I was going to say. I chose the Remington 597 and have not looked back. It is reliable and accurate far beyond my expectations. I'm still planning on getting a volquartzen hammer and extractor for it to make it more accurate.

I had a marlin 60 for a long time as well. Very nice and accurate guns, I just don't like the tube feed.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
And all this is only for the semi-autos. Missileman suggested looking into bolt actions, and I don't even know where to begin with those. To him or anyone else who knows: Wwhy do you suggest the bolt action? Because of the simplicity or what?

I know I just wrote a book, and I'm sorry, but I want to avoid buying something I'll regret. Thanks again to all of you.

hello Big Ben, welcome to the forum.

I commend you on trying to amass all possible info before purchasing; and you seem very happy to take advice and listen up - which is great because there is a true storehouse of knowledge and experience among the members here

You say you're looking to get into target shooting - this may well be why Missileman suggested bolt actions; they are simple to operate, uncomplicated (no gas systems to worry about) and less moving parts in operation means they are more accurate than semi autos. Why sniper rifles tend to be bolt action.

Semis, I can have no possible knowledge of but have read many positive remarks about the 10/22. I know you said you weren't interested in customisation...but once you get into shooting more the bug may well bite! Of course, you can go completely tac-ed out heh:

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Last edited by zhuk; 06-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Ruger, Remington, and Marlin are all excellent and well proven rifles. I would not be dissuaded by any of them at all. Probably the best option is to find the rifles and put your hands on them and see which feels "best" in your hands.

Now if you do have a little more budget... ok, something that can be stretched to around $500... go put your hands on a Smith & Wesson M&P AR15-22. You'll will be ruined for anything less. heh-heh-heh

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA

Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

IMO the AR-22's and the tac-ed out 22's are really cool but a bit much... for a few bucks more you could have an ACTUAL tactical rifle (AK-47 with some toys?). I also am not a big Fan of the fixed tube mag on the marlin. In the end it's all up to you

Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My bolt action recommendation was mostly from a safety/new shooter standpoint. With a bolt you must take positive action to reload following a shot--with a semi-auto it is ready to fire immediately, and I've seen too many new shooters forget that they have a live round in the chamber, accidentily fire, and/or lose muzzle control. That's why I never recommend a semi-auto as the first weapon, regardless of caliber, purpose, etc. You are young and have plenty of time to add a semi-auto to your arsenal later on once you are super safe and sufficient proficient. Just an old NRA coach's opinion...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 06-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #18

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My Ruger Single Six is a pretty easy target shooter,and it comes with both .22LR and .22 Magnum cylinders.It's reliable and easy to operate,and although a .22 LR isn't good for home defense,the .22 magnum cylinder will have some potential for home defense if it's all you got.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ben View Post
How much total cost am I looking at here? (I know it depends, I just want a range if that's possible). Also, one of my initial concerns was how difficult it would be to move from room to room with something with a long barrel. My hallways aren't narrow or anything, but I don't have any experience with this sort of thing so I just don't know.

And about what kind of target shooting I'll be doing: I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm pretty sure it will include shooting targets at the end of a range (Not really sure what you call this- maybe it's the long range you speak of?) and if I get something that is able to do it, maybe some clay pigeon shooting (not sure if you can do this with a handgun or not). Other than that, I hope to discover on other types of sport shooting I enjoy and maybe get some suggestions from here.
Total cost, well you can pick up a decent pump shotgun for a few hundred dollars, less if you don't mind a used one. I picked up a Mossberg 500 with some cosmetic challenges for $100 back in college; it is still working just fine. I'm sure you could find a decent Mossberg 500 in the $250 range Gander Mountain® > Mossberg 12 Ga/28 Blue Barrel w/Accu Choke Set & Wood Stock . I picked up a shorter barrel (18.5") for easier hallway maneuvering & faster shot spread in the home defense role, for about $85 at a gun show. If i want to go dove hunting, deer hunting in brushy areas, or shooting at the clay pigeons, all i have to do is swap barrels. I do have a pistol or two, but the shotty is closer to my pillow than my snooze button, just in case. Target ammo is cheap & easy for you to buy.

I learned to shoot on a bolt action .22 rifle. I still have a marlin 60 at one of my nephew's homes; i found it a bit ammo picky but darn accurate. A .22 rifle will teach you how to aim & handle a rifle and will allow for some very inexpensive target shooting. A few of my buddies have 10/22's & seem very happy with them. For home defense, they would be better than nothing certainly; if you crank off three or four rounds from a high capacity .22 rifle, i would think most people would be leaving any thoughts of aggression behind as they run for safety.

If your primary desire is target shooting, go for a .22 rifle; if you think home defense may be more important, go for the shotty; if you don't mind buying used, get a friend or family member more familiar with evaluating the condition of firearms to help you pick out a used .22 rifle & a used pump shotgun. The economy has been tough lately, and some people are getting rid of firearms they can live without, perhaps a .22 rifle they have "outgrown" or the old pump shotgun they haven't used in years. Good Luck!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
IMO the AR-22's and the tac-ed out 22's are really cool but a bit much... for a few bucks more you could have an ACTUAL tactical rifle (AK-47 with some toys?). I also am not a big Fan of the fixed tube mag on the marlin. In the end it's all up to you
But then it costs 10x as much to shoot.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA