First Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First Gun

I'm in the market for a a handgun, this would be my first purchase, i really just want a good reliable gun that i can use for protection as well as leisure shooting. looking for some advice......thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum -

How about giving the guys some information about you and your firearms experience?

It's easy to say "Buy X Brand, Shoot it all the time" but it might not be right for you if you have small hands, no experience with handguns or are completely new to the sport altogther.

JD

Old 02-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

I hunt alot so most of my experience is with rifles/shotguns, but i've been shooting handguns with friends alot recently, so I guess you could say that I am pretty new to the sport, and ive got pretty big hands

Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigers07champs View Post
I hunt alot so most of my experience is with rifles/shotguns, but i've been shooting handguns with friends alot recently, so I guess you could say that I am pretty new to the sport, and ive got pretty big hands
1911 LW Commander chambered in 45 ACP.

Of course a

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #5

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dang, canebrake I think you just made up my mind for me. I think that Colt 1911 might just be my next firearm purchase, although, I want adjustable rear sights.

I almost bought a XD because of the price, twice. Talked myself out of the purchase and now I'm glad I did. I shot a Gold Cup once and it was incredible.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Aas mentioned in other threads, I`d go for a CZ75 either in 9mm Luger/Para (cheaper ammo) or .40 S&W

Also very popular here in germany whith hunters.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Dang, canebrake I think you just made up my mind for me. I think that Colt 1911 might just be my next firearm purchase, although, I want adjustable rear sights.

I almost bought a XD because of the price, twice. Talked myself out of the purchase and now I'm glad I did. I shot a Gold Cup once and it was incredible.
Problem with the Au cup is it only comes in Government 5" steel.

Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Get the LW Commander and ask JD for the sights he's taking off his NH. He, like me, have no use for adjustable sights on the 1911. (for what we use them for)

JD's 460 Rowland donor gun is a Kimber, I throw myself to the mercy of the Night Hawk Gods!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-11-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #9

There is no handgun more reliable than a .38/.357 revolver.

Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Pick your barrel length; 4" barrel for all-around use, 6" for targets or hunting.

Revolvers aren't just more reliable. They are also easier to fit your hand, due to the many styles of replacement grips.

Comfort, reliability, and usually cheaper than semi-automatics. You should definitely consider a revolver before making your choice. - Q.C.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Problem with the Au cup is it only comes in Government 5" steel.

Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Get the LW Commander and ask JD for the sights he's taking off his NH. He, like me, have no use for adjustable sights on the 1911. (for what we use them for)

JD's 460 Rowland donor gun is a Kimber, I throw myself to the mercy of the Night Hawk Gods!!
I am SOOOOO kicking your ass in this build. Your jealousy is dripping into a puddle and might short out that computer you are using.

My beautiful Nighthawks all have fixed sights, the way a 1911 was meant to be built....

JD