First firing

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > First firing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Default First firing

So its set, tomorrow will be my first outing with the LC9, which Ive now had for a couple of months as a mantle piece. Its also my first shooting session in several years, cant wait. Last one wasnt fun at all, with an overweight .357 mag. Also going to break out Grandpas old Remmington rifle and my boss is bringing his Sigma and Mossberg 500. Should be a blast, literally! Im excited!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

Got a hundred rounds of 9mm and 50 for the rifle and I hope to use it all between the three or four of us.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Two months with a new gun & no range trip? How do you do it? I get a new pistol, I'm tempted to go straight to the range & start break-in without even cleaning the shipping goo off first! But, I resist that urge & go the next day after a good cleaning & lube. The two times I bought one at a gun show, on a Saturday, was torture having to wait until Monday to go shoot it!

Old 11-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #4

It was a blast. The gun performed flawlessly with even the cheapest rounds possible, Balzer lugers. Not a jam, missfeed, or improperly discharged casing. My father's old 3030 Winchester was the most fun to fire, but it wasnt taken care of properly and jammed after a couple of rounds and never recouped.

I was most impressed with my bosses sigma. It was so smooth and, contrary to common take, is extremely easy and light to squeeze. Every one kept telling me how stiff the trigger was, but that was pure garbage. Short pull, light trigger, and butter to just pop in a quick burst set. The only problem with it was that it jammed when cross fed with half his ammo and half mine. I think it was because he hadn't properly lubed and cleaned it, but he said it was because of my cheap Blazers that it didn't like. If that's the case I don't want something so particular. Still, it shot much better with much less kick than my Ruger LC9.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

He also had a cute little 22 that was a ball to pop off with. It too jammed several times, but really made me think about getting one myself. Originally I thought about a 22lr/mag revolver "old west" style, but single action just isn't for me. So now i've got three guns i'm going to possibly add to the pot, two for sure. This really is addicting.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have had some pistols in the past that were finicky with the Blazer ammo. seems some pistols just don't like it and will either have a problem feeding it or ejecting the cases.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have had some pistols in the past that were finicky with the Blazer ammo. seems some pistols just don't like it and will either have a problem feeding it or ejecting the cases.
Thats exactly what happened, but even after unloading them the problem persisted with his rounds, both jamming the feed and not ejecting the shells. I felt bad for him, hope a good cleaning and lube fix the issue.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Thats exactly what happened, but even after unloading them the problem persisted with his rounds, both jamming the feed and not ejecting the shells. I felt bad for him, hope a good cleaning and lube fix the issue.
i don't think cleaning or lube is the problem, but the design of the particular guns feed ramp that causes the problem. when i changed the ammo that was used, the problem ceased to exist. tried the ammo again, problem reoccurs. so to this date, i don't use the Blazer ammo anymore.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #9

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
He also had a cute little 22 that was a ball to pop off with. It too jammed several times, but really made me think about getting one myself. Originally I thought about a 22lr/mag revolver "old west" style, but single action just isn't for me. So now i've got three guns i'm going to possibly add to the pot, two for sure. This really is addicting.
Get a 22LR pistol with a 7" bull barrel. A world of fun for all.

I shoot mine at the 50 yard range.

There are just so many great 22LR rifles to choose from. Pick a

brand name. IMO, a couple quality 22s are the backbone of any

decent collection.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm happy for you. Enjoy those guns.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams