You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

First Firearm: S&W M&P or CZ75B ?

View Poll Results: M&P .40 or CZ75B 9mm ?
Smith and Wesson M&P .40 13 41.94%
CZ-USA CZ75B 9mm 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
If the choice is ONLY the above two, go with the CZ, it's STEEL!

BUT.....before you go cash down on anything, take a look at the Browning Hi Power. You will thank me for the suggestion.
Agreed, in that the BHP is the best 9mm I own but they're way outside his budget.

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #22

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndork2 View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions!

I decided on a M&P .40

... however, in a few weeks, I will also be looking at the CZ in 9mm - Most likely after Christmas
Both are fine guns, the M&P comes in a .45 also.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #23

Liked 3384 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 481

I think the CZ is the better choice. I think the M&P is one of the top choices in the polymer set. I just don't really care for polymer pistols very much.

You may be well served by taking a look at the EAA (Tangfoglio) Witness series of pistols. They are derived from the CZ design (though they are large frame). Good value for money. I have a CZ75 and a Witness. Both are quite good.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #24

I shot both and I'm getting the CZ as well because it is all steel. Haven't had a chance to get my hands on a Hi power, but would love too. ;-)

Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I favor the CZ-75, and 9mm is a good starter caliber because of availability of ammo and reduced recoil. But whichever gun you choose, it is a good idea to have a compatible .22, either a conversion to your main gun, or a separate, compatible gun. You will probably spend more time practicing with the .22, saving money, and getting more practice in. Your capability with your main gun will improve faster this way.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #26

Liked 3975 Times on 2227 Posts
Likes Given: 2625

I always thought a CZ75 was an improverized Hi-Power(P-35)...

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #27

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I always thought a CZ75 was an improverized Hi-Power(P-35)...
HMMM...

I've shot both and thought the CZ75B was an "improved" Hi Power.

Tack

Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #28

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

The CZ can only be considered an improved HP if you accept the following as better:
!) A lowered bore axis
2) A better slide to frame configuration.
3) The more ergonomic frame scallops behind the trigger.
4) A pretty good trigger that can be fired double,single,cocked and locked or shortened double action when the hammer is in the half cock notch.
5) Higher capacity by PRIMARY design.
6) The NEXT WORLD STANDARD handgun that retired the HP in most of the countries it was used in or adopted by.
7) Quite possibly one of the most FEATURE cloned or copied handguns in the free world.(okay...okay...we all know about the locked breech.recoil operated tilting barrel...thank you JB.)

Most of the HP fans have one complaint or another about the newer HP's but do you HP nostalgia fans really think it's wise to subject a first time gun owner to the possibly risky UNTRAINED manual of arms for the combat use of the HP...or the MANDATORY trigger job for a nice trigger on a vintage HP.
And by the way the CZ custom shop can do a superb trigger job or combat/competition package on a 75 for a fairly reasonable price.
Steel auto...first time owner..vote ++ CZ.(IMHO)

+

Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #29

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The CZ 75B is one of the most underated overlooked best bang for the buck pistols in the US.The M&P is an excellent weapon but I don’t feel it is in the same league.My latest pistol was a CZ 75 SP-01 Tac and I am a 11th pistol owner.Without a doubt the nicest combat/service pistol I have ever owned so far, bar none

First Firearm: S&W M&P or CZ75B ? - General Handgun Discussion

First Firearm: S&W M&P or CZ75B ? - General Handgun Discussion

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #30

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

I still have wakeful nights over an alloy framed 85 compact that was traded in a fit of what can only be described as toxic stupidity syndrome.
That gun still ranks as the only 40S&W handgun I have ever fired that was perfect in every detail. For some reason every time I've had the cash or a ripe opportunity to replace it the deal skips right out from under me.(I'm sure it's ill fated punishment)

I've resisted the newer models mostly because of plastic and de-cockers(Some just because they look clumsy to me)

What is driving me crazy is curiosity over the new Omega trigger(I've heard raves) but the chance to try one still evades me.Maybe it's a matter of not trying hard enough.
Or perhaps it's my curse for not heeding one of grandma Lucy's most frequent proclamations:

"TOO SOON OLD-TOO LATE SMART"