Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   First Firearm: S&W M&P or CZ75B ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/first-firearm-s-w-m-p-cz75b-52433/)

Corndork2 11-26-2011 02:25 AM

First Firearm: S&W M&P or CZ75B ?

Hello to one and all!

I am in the process of deciding on what my first firearm purchase will be. I have fired a large variety of hand guns and I believe that I know what I am looking for. I've attempted to shoot a wide variety of brands and styles, to allow me to narrow down the kind of firearm I am looking for. I have shot multiple SIG's, 1911's, XD's, Glock's, and S&W's.

Unfortunately, I am limited to a $500 budget.

At that price, I am extremely drawn to a S&W M&P .40.

I was almost ready to hit the order button on the M&P, when I began reading about the CZ75B

It is about the same price, and an all steel construction -- which is a big draw for me. I only plan on shooting at local pistol ranges, but durability of the firearm is a big purchase point for me. It's also a 9mm. I prefer a .40 (really love .45 but cant afford a 1911), but as we all know the 9mm is much cheaper to buy ammo for.

So the question is, which would you all buy? The M&P in .40 or the CZ75B in 9mm?

Jpyle 11-26-2011 02:41 AM

CZ 75 is a very good value for the money...rock solid and durable as hell. Some of the plastic parts are a bit of a turn-off but they can be upgraded over time and do not detract from the guns functionality one bit.

nccinstaller 11-26-2011 02:50 AM

If cost is a concern as far as ammo goes 9mm is quite a bit cheaper so u would get more range time for the money. It really just boils done to preferance really, both guns are solid performers and from good companies. Could always compromise and buy a m&p in 9mm lol

Corndork2 11-26-2011 04:12 AM

Ive shot the M&P in both 9mm and .40 and I must say I prefer the .40 :)

CA357 11-26-2011 04:37 AM

You can get the CZ in .40 S&W as well if that makes a difference.

ScottA 11-26-2011 05:16 AM

Either would serve you well.

dallascj 11-27-2011 09:59 PM

I own 5 M&P's, so needless to say, I am a big fan of the pistol. However, CZ makes some outstanding guns and I don't think you will be sorry with either.

jyo 11-28-2011 12:12 AM

Both are great---however, you can get a factory .22lr conversion unit for the CZ pistol---I consider this a major advantage.

sweeper22 11-28-2011 03:01 AM

Personally, I would chose the CZ every time. But if the M&P fit my needs better I'd have absolute confidence in it.

Durability, reliability, and performance aren't really even issues here because they're both excellent guns on all counts. Hold each and make sure they fit your hand right. CZ 75 can have a slightly long reach to the trigger for those with shorter hands/fingers. Get the CZ if (like me) you strongly prefer the feel of a metal framed gun. Get the M&P if you value the utility of a lighter plastic frame.

If you're still stuck, advantage goes to CZ for its massive pistol-whipping potential.

Corndork2 11-30-2011 01:48 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I decided on a M&P .40

... however, in a few weeks, I will also be looking at the CZ in 9mm - Most likely after Christmas