A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingForFun View Post
You are good at guessing my motives, sir :-) The 9mm is for shooting a class where .22's are no-go, and since I like challenge, the .38 revolver is not my first priority.

I suspected that some people in the US shoot one handed, but I've never heard about it before you wrote about it, nor have I seen it on TV, where I watch a lot of programmes on shooting, mostly recorded in the US (haven't been on a shooting range in the US). I've thought about doing a thread here on one handed shooting, with basic instructions and a little about my experiences with it. Do you think that may be a good idea?

And it's pretty bad ass doing target shooting one handed with a service pistol like a 1911 :-D It's trigger is hard as hell. That definitely requires a lot of training to do just a little right!
Bullseye Pistol and Service Pistol matches here seem to be losing popularity to the more dynamic combat shooting sports, or practical shooting sports. But in the Military we still have regional (Pacific vs Atlantic) and inter-service matches (Army, Navy, Air-Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, competitions).

I've had the pleasure of shooting in some of the Service Pistol matches during my time in the Navy. By our rules a shooter must use a handgun that was a general issue handgun, which pretty much restricts us to the Beretta, or the 1911.

The 1911 actually has a great trigger for target work, if it is tuned a bit by a gunsmith. The rules say that it has to be above 4.5 lbs, but the single action and short travel are easier to manage for one handed shooting ( one handed shooting is also a requirement of the rules). There is definitely a lot of technique to one handed shooting, from foot placement to grip, in being able to get a natural point of aim that doesn't over tax the muscles and cause undue movement of the pistol. Course of fire is usually fired on 25 and 50 yard targets. Some versions of the course of fire will have a 10 yard stage as well.

Most of the matches will then have a Service Rifle Competition as well, and I've been to two local regional matches that had a rimfire handgun match on the side.

It might be good to have a thread on Target pistol shooting technique. I'd be interested in getting the European perspective, and be happy to share some of the tricks I've picked up on this side of the ocean. I'm sure others would contibute as well.