Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
For one handed bullseye shooting another caliber might suit you better.
Such as?

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #42

Liked 110 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The ghost ring looks like a neat idea, but on a handgun it is too far from the shooters eye to be truly 'ghost". It will obscure the target. I scored the same or worse. But it was fun to try.
I meant ghost trigger kit...my bad

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1327 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I meant ghost trigger kit...my bad
No problem, I could have asked.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #44

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

If I was going to shoot targets only I would get a good .22lr pistol. Maybe a Ruger or S&W, something like that. Ammo is cheap and they are accurate.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #45

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
If I was going to shoot targets only I would get a good .22lr pistol. Maybe a Ruger or S&W, something like that. Ammo is cheap and they are accurate.
It depends on what you are in to. Some competitions require service calibers and a .22 doesn't qualify. So, if if this gentleman is getting into bullseye competition in Europe a 9mm would be a logical choice. Here in the States there are bullseye competitions that will allow any center fire pistol cartridge. Many folks in these competitions choose a .45 because it gives a competative advantage of increasing probability of breaking a higher scoring ring.

There are Service Pistol bullseye matches that only allow pistols that were used as primary issue pistols to be used. 1911 and Beretta M9 pistols are almost used exclusively. Targets are shot with strong hand only, one handed at targets at 25 and 50 yards.

Rimfire only matches are usually a separate match. For informal target shooting, a rimfire is indeed a more economical choice.

.22 rimfire matches are
Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #46

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Default 9mm for targets

The Stoeger Cougar 9mm is an excellent gun for an affordable price but it has an external hammer. You might want a Ruger SR9c.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #47
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2701 Times on 1854 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar
The Stoeger Cougar 9mm is an excellent gun for an affordable price but it has an external hammer. You might want a Ruger SR9c.
For Target Shooting? a 9C? The Longer the Barrel the Better the Range in Target Shooting, and I'm told Accuracy as well. The Cougar Or a Beretta/ Taurus 92 and replace the Stock Barrel with a Match Tube...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #48

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most 9mm pistols are semi automatic. Most 9mm "target" pistols are for run and gun games. For one handed bullseye shooting another caliber might suit you better.
Mostly I shoot the .22. It's a lot easier to shoot accurately, and a great caliber for learning. The 9mm is for a special class we shoot in Denmark, where you are supposed to shoot a heavier caliber than .22. The .32 is a better suited caliber than 9mm, but no one I know of shoots it, and it's not sold in the target shooting club I attend. The next-easiest "heavy" caliber used here is .38 special in a revolver, but I like the challenge of the more difficult 9mm. It's a lot of fun beating a .38 revolver guy with a 9mm :-)

Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
How about a total ban. The UK. Our Founding Fathers saw it coming
Thanks :-) Suddenly I get a little happy with danish gun law!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
It depends on what you are in to. Some competitions require service calibers and a .22 doesn't qualify. So, if if this gentleman is getting into bullseye competition in Europe a 9mm would be a logical choice. Here in the States there are bullseye competitions that will allow any center fire pistol cartridge. Many folks in these competitions choose a .45 because it gives a competative advantage of increasing probability of breaking a higher scoring ring.

There are Service Pistol bullseye matches that only allow pistols that were used as primary issue pistols to be used. 1911 and Beretta M9 pistols are almost used exclusively. Targets are shot with strong hand only, one handed at targets at 25 and 50 yards.

Rimfire only matches are usually a separate match. For informal target shooting, a rimfire is indeed a more economical choice.

.22 rimfire matches are
You are good at guessing my motives, sir :-) The 9mm is for shooting a class where .22's are no-go, and since I like challenge, the .38 revolver is not my first priority.

I suspected that some people in the US shoot one handed, but I've never heard about it before you wrote about it, nor have I seen it on TV, where I watch a lot of programmes on shooting, mostly recorded in the US (haven't been on a shooting range in the US). I've thought about doing a thread here on one handed shooting, with basic instructions and a little about my experiences with it. Do you think that may be a good idea?

And it's pretty bad ass doing target shooting one handed with a service pistol like a 1911 :-D It's trigger is hard as hell. That definitely requires a lot of training to do just a little right!