A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Here is the Sig 210 Legend target model.
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p210-legend-target.aspx

It has more of a beaver tail, a single action triger and target sights. The budget is definitely higher than the X-Five.
If you can find one the Smith and Wesson 952 is another great target 9mm.

Again I shoot military matches with a 1911, but have also shot them in the past with a Beretta 92, that was very competative. They had a target match version for a while that had a extended sight radius and compensator, and an improved trigger along with adjustable target sights. They may be more common in europe than here in the US.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

For a first 9mm I would suggest the Ruger SR9, or the S&W MP9, maybe the Stoeger Cougar (great gun for moderate price) or the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm. Take a look at these.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #13

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I recommend an STI Edge in 9mm. Available with 17, 20, 26 or 10 round magazines. IPSC and USPSA approved.

I've had one for about a year and have no complaints...

Old 11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #14

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Guy's I'm pretty sure this gentleman is looking for a pretty dedicated target gun that will have some accuracy potential above the standard off the shelf handguns. Shooting one handed at bullseye targets and wanting a single action only trigger, with target sights doesn't quite fit the Ruger SR9 or S&W M&P line of guns or the double action trigger and rotating lock-up of the Cougar.

It also doesn't sound like he plans on run-and-gun games like IPSC and USPSA in Denmark, and 1911 gunsmiths may be a bit less common there.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Go to several gun stores and actually hold all the guns that fit your needs and see which one feels the most ergonomically in your hand.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Guy's I'm pretty sure this gentleman is looking for a pretty dedicated target gun that will have some accuracy potential above the standard off the shelf handguns. Shooting one handed at bullseye targets and wanting a single action only trigger, with target sights doesn't quite fit the Ruger SR9 or S&W M&P line of guns or the double action trigger and rotating lock-up of the Cougar.

It also doesn't sound like he plans on run-and-gun games like IPSC and USPSA in Denmark, and 1911 gunsmiths may be a bit less common there.
Thank you all for your replies! You are very kind :-)

As SSGN_Doc writes, I'm looking for a very special gun, not a tuned millitary/police type of gun. I have been looking at a lot of the guns you have suggested over time, and some of your suggestions are new to me, for example the Dan Wesson Pointman 9 and the SPS Vista. Unfortunately, these guns are not very common in Denmark. Even finding a place to buy one seems difficult.

What specially attracts me to the X-Five is that it is highly user customizable. The dead rock solid swiss/german highly recognized quality, and the fact that it is at least as accurate and durable as the legendary Sig P210, is also very important, even though I know, that a couple of the suggested guns are in that class. And I have large hands, which disqualifies a lot of single stack magazine 9's, since the rounder grip of the double stacked types fits my hand beautyfully.

I have been around the CZ Tactical Sport, Browning Hi-Power, Sig P210 legend (I have shot a nicely trigger tuned P210 with high beaver tail, and it is a beautiful gun), STI Edge and STI Eagle (which I have also tried. The chairman of the club owns one). Also some S&W's has been brought to my attention, as being very fine target shooting guns (S&W is quite popular in Denmark). I have seriously thought about buying one of those very high quality guns!

But the X-Five is very different from the above mentioned guns due to it's very user customizable nature. This attracts me very much, since I'm not that experienced, and therefore not sure that my preferences now, are my preferences in a couple of years. And I'm of a very experimental nature, so I really like the super user customizable trigger of the X-Five - and the picatinny rail, that allows me to do dry shooting at home with a movement sensing laser system attached.

Maybe some of you has heard of a gun with properties of the above mentioned similar to that of the X-Five?

That would interest me very much :-)

PS: There are a lot of 1911's around in Denmark. A historically interested member of the club showed me his .45 caliber M1911A1 from 1943 the other day! And has promised me a testshooting. I'm really looking forward to try it, and feel the effect of the super hard dangly trigger on my accuracy ;-)
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I wish I could help you more. The type of gun you're looking for is beyond what I use my guns for.

However, I will say there's no reason I can think of (unless we're talking about your law over there, which I am unfamiliar with) that says you can't have more than one gun.

That being said, if you decide on one now, and your preferences change in a few years, that just gives you more reason to get another.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #18

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Dan_fl Guess you did not know CZ has some fine Single Action pistols.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I wish I could help you more. The type of gun you're looking for is beyond what I use my guns for.

However, I will say there's no reason I can think of (unless we're talking about your law over there, which I am unfamiliar with) that says you can't have more than one gun.

That being said, if you decide on one now, and your preferences change in a few years, that just gives you more reason to get another.
I would like to own a lot of 9mm's, but danish firearms legislation allows me to own only two 9mm's at one given time :-( That makes it difficult to choose one, since I don't want to by and sell too much: Buying requires tons of paper work and a lot of waiting. The second permit I will spend on some fun historical stuff like a Browning HP or Luger maybee. Something that's quite different from the target shooting 9mm I'm about to invest in.

I can tell you this much: Don't move to Denmark if you like firearms! There are a lot of restrictions on calibers and weapon types. No .44 Magnum or .50 caliber handguns, no semi- or full-auto rifles, no submachine guns and no Barrets for example. Guns are only allowed for target shooting and hunting, not self defense. Air guns with caliber higher than .177 requires a police permit. Illegal firearms possession will put you behind bars for at least a year, no matter what firearm we are talking about. And worst of all: The police can enter a gun owners home without a varrant!

But there are possibilities outside Denmark: My also shooting girlfriend and I are planning a nice vacation in the US, where we will shoot some serious hardware bigtime :-)

Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #20

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

Can't help you with any other suggestion besides that the X-5 sounds like your winner.

I have one of the new p226 Elite SAO which is a duty gun but it has the x-5 frame on a p226 elite slide,love the ergos of the x-5 grip and the thumb safety