A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

I am looking for a good 9mm pistol for target shooting only.

A little about my experience: I've been shooting handguns for one and a half year on a weekly basis in a target shooting club, and I think I'm relatively good at it. I've mainly been shooting .22 caliber High Standard pistols, but occasionally I'm shooting Sig P210 "Neuhausen" 9mm. I have tried Sig Sauer P220 9mm and SW 686 revolver with .38 special and .357 magnum cartridges. I shoot with one hand only. I practice at home with a .177 caliber Weihrauch HW40 air pistol. I recently bought an old .22 caliber Walther GSP, the first "real" gun I own, and I'm very happy with it. I think the P210 is a difficult gun mainly due to it's hard millitary style trigger (I do not like hard millitary style triggers).

Based on my experience and what I've seen in the club, I think my first 9mm should fulfill the following requirements:

- Single action trigger with user adjustable weight.
- Adjustable rear sight.
- Multiple grip plates available.
- Good for 25 yard precision and terrain shooting.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Very good craftmanship and finish.
- Feels good when fired.
- Should fit a relatively large hand.
- Good for shooting with one hand.
- Not a "hammer biter" like the P210.
- Well known to most gun smiths.
- Can keep me satisfied in 10 years from now, when I'm hopefully an experienced and skilled 9mm shooter.
- A 9mm equivalent to a Lexus :-)

I've heard that cheap 9mm's usually suck, and that I should avoid them, so I'm willing to pay a good deal of money for a good one.

My own reseach has ended at Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Classic which seems to fulfill my above requirements - and tells you something about how much money I'm willing to spend.

What do you think about the X-Five relative to my requirements?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by ShootingForFun; 11-12-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Jagermeister Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I think I would take a hard look at CZ 75 SA, depending on the class for shoot the Tactical Sport or Shadow T for a great SA trigger and longer 5.4 barrel or Witness Elit Limited and on the lower cost end a witness match. I knw the witness match has a great trigger and very accurate so the limited has to be better and set up for a frame mount for optics.

The witness line has a Henningshootsguns for everything wanted for any competition .
http://www.henningshootsguns.com/

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

The CZ has a long trigger pull.
Your requirement of an adjustable trigger would probably have to be scratched. Once adjusted, there is normally no need to readjust.

Take a look at either a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power.
There are many aftermarket products available, every smith knows how to work on them.
You can get adjustable sights, remove the magazine safety on the HP, easy to take down and clean.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

bartwatkins Likes This 
Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I have had great success with every P226 I have ever owned since 1988. Greate choice on the X-five. Enjoy.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #5

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You need a Dan Wesson PM-9.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

CZ 75 Tactical Sport, I believe has a SA trigger.

Or a Metro Arms SPS Vista Sport, if you really wanna spend some serious money.

I use genitron.com and use the compare handguns button up at the top. You can specify whatever parameters you want.

Always have clean socks.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2644 Times on 1842 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingForFun View Post

A little about my experience: I've been shooting handguns for one and a half year on a weekly basis in a target shooting club, and I think I'm relatively good at it. I've mainly been shooting .22 caliber High Standard pistols, but occasionally I'm shooting Sig P210 "Neuhausen" 9mm. I have tried Sig Sauer P220 9mm and SW 686 revolver with .38 special and .357 magnum cartridges. I shoot with one hand only. I practice at home with a .177 caliber Weihrauch HW40 air pistol. I recently bought an old .22 caliber Walther GSP, the first "real" gun I own, and I'm very happy with it. I think the P210 is a difficult gun mainly due to it's hard millitary style trigger (I do not like hard millitary style triggers).

Based on my experience and what I've seen in the club, I think my first 9mm should fulfill the following requirements:

- Adjustable rear sight.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Feels good when fired.
- Can keep me satisfied in 10 years from now, when I'm hopefully an experienced and skilled 9mm shooter.

I've heard that cheap 9mm's usually suck, and that I should avoid them, so I'm willing to pay a good deal of money for a good one.

My own reseach has ended at Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Classic which seems to fulfill my above requirements - and tells you something about how much money I'm willing to spend.

Any other suggestions?
my experience with the X Five is consistent with your research. In fact reading your post I knew it would be my answer before I saw yours. It is my bullseye 9mm.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I have had great success with every P226 I have ever owned since 1988. Greate choice on the X-five. Enjoy.
Me too. I'm currently looking for a 9mm for my wife, but with somewhat different requirements (may look at the p290 or 938). But the 226 is a top notch 9 that seems to meet the OP requirments.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I bought my wife Glock G34 competition for Christmas , but I have not had it out yet . Has a factory 4.5# trigger , micro adjustable rear sights , comes with 4 differet back straps 2 with beaver tails , 3 mags . I would also take a lok at the XDM 5.25 competitoon very sweet rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingForFun View Post

- Adjustable rear sight.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Feels good when fired.

Any other suggestions?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #10

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I think you are right on target with your choice of the Sig X-Five. Considering your location it seems logical. The 210 is a great target gun and the trigger should be tunable by a good gunsmith. I think there is a newer version with an enlarged beavertail to prevent hammer bite.

1911s are popular here in the US and a 9mm version would be a good option, but I am not sure how common a good 1911 gunsmith would be near you.

Good luck on your selection, and welcome to the sport of bullseye shooting.