Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/first-9x19mm-target-shooting-pistol-100268/)

ShootingForFun 11-12-2013 03:39 PM

A first 9x19mm target shooting pistol?

I am looking for a good 9mm pistol for target shooting only.

A little about my experience: I've been shooting handguns for one and a half year on a weekly basis in a target shooting club, and I think I'm relatively good at it. I've mainly been shooting .22 caliber High Standard pistols, but occasionally I'm shooting Sig P210 "Neuhausen" 9mm. I have tried Sig Sauer P220 9mm and SW 686 revolver with .38 special and .357 magnum cartridges. I shoot with one hand only. I practice at home with a .177 caliber Weihrauch HW40 air pistol. I recently bought an old .22 caliber Walther GSP, the first "real" gun I own, and I'm very happy with it. I think the P210 is a difficult gun mainly due to it's hard millitary style trigger (I do not like hard millitary style triggers).

Based on my experience and what I've seen in the club, I think my first 9mm should fulfill the following requirements:

- Single action trigger with user adjustable weight.
- Adjustable rear sight.
- Multiple grip plates available.
- Good for 25 yard precision and terrain shooting.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Very good craftmanship and finish.
- Feels good when fired.
- Should fit a relatively large hand.
- Good for shooting with one hand.
- Not a "hammer biter" like the P210.
- Well known to most gun smiths.
- Can keep me satisfied in 10 years from now, when I'm hopefully an experienced and skilled 9mm shooter.
- A 9mm equivalent to a Lexus :-)

I've heard that cheap 9mm's usually suck, and that I should avoid them, so I'm willing to pay a good deal of money for a good one.

My own reseach has ended at Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Classic which seems to fulfill my above requirements - and tells you something about how much money I'm willing to spend.

What do you think about the X-Five relative to my requirements?

Any other suggestions?

hardluk1 11-12-2013 04:26 PM

I think I would take a hard look at CZ 75 SA, depending on the class for shoot the Tactical Sport or Shadow T for a great SA trigger and longer 5.4 barrel or Witness Elit Limited and on the lower cost end a witness match. I knw the witness match has a great trigger and very accurate so the limited has to be better and set up for a frame mount for optics.

The witness line has a Henningshootsguns for everything wanted for any competition .
http://www.henningshootsguns.com/

danf_fl 11-12-2013 04:59 PM

The CZ has a long trigger pull.
Your requirement of an adjustable trigger would probably have to be scratched. Once adjusted, there is normally no need to readjust.

Take a look at either a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power.
There are many aftermarket products available, every smith knows how to work on them.
You can get adjustable sights, remove the magazine safety on the HP, easy to take down and clean.

Jagermeister 11-12-2013 05:05 PM

I have had great success with every P226 I have ever owned since 1988. Greate choice on the X-five. Enjoy.

Olympus 11-12-2013 05:25 PM

You need a Dan Wesson PM-9.

JW357 11-12-2013 05:33 PM

CZ 75 Tactical Sport, I believe has a SA trigger.

Or a Metro Arms SPS Vista Sport, if you really wanna spend some serious money.

I use genitron.com and use the compare handguns button up at the top. You can specify whatever parameters you want.

Mercator 11-12-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingForFun (Post 1429834)

A little about my experience: I've been shooting handguns for one and a half year on a weekly basis in a target shooting club, and I think I'm relatively good at it. I've mainly been shooting .22 caliber High Standard pistols, but occasionally I'm shooting Sig P210 "Neuhausen" 9mm. I have tried Sig Sauer P220 9mm and SW 686 revolver with .38 special and .357 magnum cartridges. I shoot with one hand only. I practice at home with a .177 caliber Weihrauch HW40 air pistol. I recently bought an old .22 caliber Walther GSP, the first "real" gun I own, and I'm very happy with it. I think the P210 is a difficult gun mainly due to it's hard millitary style trigger (I do not like hard millitary style triggers).

Based on my experience and what I've seen in the club, I think my first 9mm should fulfill the following requirements:

- Adjustable rear sight.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Feels good when fired.
- Can keep me satisfied in 10 years from now, when I'm hopefully an experienced and skilled 9mm shooter.

I've heard that cheap 9mm's usually suck, and that I should avoid them, so I'm willing to pay a good deal of money for a good one.

My own reseach has ended at Sig Sauer P226 X-Five Classic which seems to fulfill my above requirements - and tells you something about how much money I'm willing to spend.

Any other suggestions?

my experience with the X Five is consistent with your research. In fact reading your post I knew it would be my answer before I saw yours. It is my bullseye 9mm.

DP03 11-12-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1429883)
I have had great success with every P226 I have ever owned since 1988. Greate choice on the X-five. Enjoy.

Me too. I'm currently looking for a 9mm for my wife, but with somewhat different requirements (may look at the p290 or 938). But the 226 is a top notch 9 that seems to meet the OP requirments.

purehavoc 11-13-2013 11:05 AM

I bought my wife Glock G34 competition for Christmas , but I have not had it out yet . Has a factory 4.5# trigger , micro adjustable rear sights , comes with 4 differet back straps 2 with beaver tails , 3 mags . I would also take a lok at the XDM 5.25 competitoon very sweet rig
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps7046a56a.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...psa50c8ede.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShootingForFun (Post 1429834)

- Adjustable rear sight.
- Very, very reliable.
- Very accurate.
- Feels good when fired.

Any other suggestions?

SSGN_Doc 11-13-2013 11:51 AM

I think you are right on target with your choice of the Sig X-Five. Considering your location it seems logical. The 210 is a great target gun and the trigger should be tunable by a good gunsmith. I think there is a newer version with an enlarged beavertail to prevent hammer bite.

1911s are popular here in the US and a 9mm version would be a good option, but I am not sure how common a good 1911 gunsmith would be near you.

Good luck on your selection, and welcome to the sport of bullseye shooting.