Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Firing pin strikes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Firing pin strikes?

Any info on the reason that a lot of import handguns have unusual firing pin strikes to primers? Glocks have almost a figure 8 indent. Several others have a "teardrop" looking dent. My Colt has a round dent, My CZ P-01, round dent, all my centerfire rifles, round dent. Can someone fill me into the reason why??

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #2

That's the signature of a Glock firing pin. You can pick up fired brass on a range or crime scene and tell it was fired in a Glock.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #3

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Glock strikes are rectangular but with the primer flow they appear kind of figure 8.

A properly set up handgun that does not use the Glock type flat striker should leave a round indentation in primer. If you see a teardrop shaped mark on the brass it is likely due to premature unlocking. The gun probably needs a new recoil spring (to retard the unlocking) and a new firing pin spring (to pull the firing pin back away from the primer prior to unlocking).

The tail of the teardrop is from the still protruding firing pin dragging on the primer as the barrel drops in the unlocking stage.

Some fixed firing pin open bolt SMG's and handguns designed off such SMG's (MAC-10, Uzi) will make a similar mark as the nub protruding from the breech face can start to indent the primer as the case is being chambered.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default weak springs

Thanks robo. A friend of mine could use new springs. His Taurus 45 leaves the tear drop marks. Come to think of it, he also has some FTF on the same gun. Will try springs.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976