Firearm Suggestions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Firearm Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Am I mistaken here? The .357 magnum cartridge that fits in a revolver will not fit in a semi-auto, would it? I thought the .357 magnum is a revolver round and the .357 sig is a semi-auto round and they are not interchangeable. If this is the case, the OP is going to need to buy different ammo for each gun. So he might as well get different calibers if that helps in choosing guns.

Or am I mistaken?
That's what I thought 'til I saw this...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse.asp?Category=Desert+Eagle:Mark+XIX

I guess there are exeptions to every rule..

Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #12

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
Am I mistaken here? The .357 magnum cartridge that fits in a revolver will not fit in a semi-auto, would it? I thought the .357 magnum is a revolver round and the .357 sig is a semi-auto round and they are not interchangeable. If this is the case, the OP is going to need to buy different ammo for each gun. So he might as well get different calibers if that helps in choosing guns.

Or am I mistaken?
check out magnum research they do something pretty cool with the .357 mag.... and yes the .357 Sig is a .40 s&w brass necked down to a 9mm and they aren't even close to interchange.... i like the idea of the wife getting something hammerless the hubby getting an eagle and a lever gun all chambered in .44 mag.... i know the wife probably souldn't have anything that big just based on the fact that they kick like a mule but if she's a good shot she only needs to shoot it once and ya can hunt more with it out of the rifle.... also a judge for each of ya and the circuit judge carbine would make an awesome plan b that gives everybody the choices of shot shells (for defense) or solid bullets (for hunting)

Last edited by cakesterkiller; 03-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What about this:

Ruger .40 S&W
Pitbull .40 S&W
Carbine chambered for .40 S&W

This will allow for a very common round and I won't have to deal with moon clips for the revolver.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #14

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

That's what I thought 'til I saw this...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Browse.asp?Category=Desert+Eagle:Mark+XIX

I guess there are exeptions to every rule..
Or this.....

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/pistol/cPath,5

Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamarathin View Post
What about this:

Ruger .40 S&W
Pitbull .40 S&W
Carbine chambered for .40 S&W

This will allow for a very common round and I won't have to deal with moon clips for the revolver.
Sounds like a rather ingenious design from Charter (funny how they come up with those). I want to track one of those down and see how it works.

However, the 40 S&W round is pretty snappy in a semi-auto. I would expect it to be even more so in a revolver.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I wonder how much they had to increase the grip/magazine to accommodate the increased length of the cartridge.
caliber_bullets_4.jpg  

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

OP,

If you like the 1911 and hers must be a revolver, and they must both be the same caliber, S&W makes a .45 ACP revolver that is very popular. And using moon clips makes reloads easier.

Is there a particular reason you want both pistols in the same caliber? If you're planning to buy large quantities of ammo to get a bulk price, I can see an advantage. But depending on where you are, you can buy whatever quantities you want at Walmart or Academy for a better price than you can find at online ammo dealers, even in bulk.

Since you didn't specify that the rifle needs to be the same caliber as the pistols, I would base the decision more on what you plan to hunt/what part of the country you're in.

You've got some great suggestions for pistols. A little more info about your goals for the rifle would help narrow things down.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 03-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #18

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

Or am I mistaken?
Somebody already posted links to the Magnum Research and Coonan. The difficulty with an autoloader chambered in .357 is that the rim makes stacking the rounds in a magazine difficult. But it's a problem that can be overcome, as evidenced by all the .22 autoloaders that are out there.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
OP,

If you like the 1911 and hers must be a revolver, and they must both be the same caliber, S&W makes a .45 ACP revolver that is very popular. And using moon clips makes reloads easier.

Is there a particular reason you want both pistols in the same caliber? If you're planning to buy large quantities of ammo to get a bulk price, I can see an advantage. But depending on where you are, you can buy whatever quantities you want at Walmart or Academy for a better price than you can find at online ammo dealers, even in bulk.

Since you didn't specify that the rifle needs to be the same caliber as the pistols, I would base the decision more on what you plan to hunt/what part of the country you're in.

You've got some great suggestions for pistols. A little more info about your goals for the rifle would help narrow things down.
Hunting would be small game.
  • The overall goal is to have something I can use in a bug out situation and not have to worry about multiple types of ammunition.
  • Making sure I have a firearm I can conceal carry while working my store.
  • Making sure my wife gets a revolver (as those are her preference).
  • Making sure I ahve a weapon that can be used successfully for both personal and home defense as well as a weapon for hunting small game.

Keeping it as simple as possible is how I want to go and if I can get all three firearms in the same caliber I'm going to be a very happy camper.

So far, the .40 S&W route seems to be the only way to go to be 'ideal' and avoid additional supplies or ammunition compatibility issues. For example the Pitbull can be "speed loaded" from the magazine of the semi-auto pistol, the round is very easy to get a hold of, and the round is strong enough to take out small game.

Am I completely off my rocker on this? Off-hand, it seems like a solid idea, but honestly, if I'm being too idealistic here, I'm open to hearing that and going back to the drawing board and using the excellent advice I've received thus far.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher

What are you considering "small game". Small game as in squirrels, rabbits, etc?

The most prolific small game round is the .22 long rifle. Also the most prolific round period. Anyone planning for a SHTF scenario absolutely should have this in their kit. A .40 S&W on something like a squirrel or rabbit would be overkill.

I'd be careful about trying to arrive at the perfect round for all needs. There just isn't one. It can be done far better with two or three rounds.

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA