A few questions for CCW - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

A few questions for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

PPC-Think about an ankle rig...

I carry my LCR on the ankle and no one is any the wiser, I even forget it's there myself sometimes...
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

For single action semi-auto, the Sig p938. It's a pocketable 1911, and nothing beats a 1911.

Personally, while I'd rather have the 9mm bang, I wouldn't at all feel undergunned with a 380. For that the Sig p238.

If you're into double action then I have no suggestions, I keep away from them like the plague.

In general, I go without holster pocket carry. A holster isn't a bad idea, but, overall, I find them worthless. My gun doesn't move around or switch angle and there's nothing else in my pockets to snag trigger or plug barrel.

Don't fall for any overthetop, frantic BS about lint obstruction, it's frickin LINT, just soft cloth and in minimal amounts in unseen and out of the way crevices that couldn't plug a stir straw.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3186 Times on 1924 Posts
Likes Given: 3063

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
For single action semi-auto, the Sig p938. It's a pocketable 1911, and nothing beats a 1911.

Personally, while I'd rather have the 9mm bang, I wouldn't at all feel undergunned with a 380. For that the Sig p238.

If you're into double action then I have no suggestions, I keep away from them like the plague.

In general, I go without holster pocket carry. A holster isn't a bad idea, but, overall, I find them worthless. My gun doesn't move around or switch angle and there's nothing else in my pockets to snag trigger or plug barrel.

Don't fall for any overthetop, frantic BS about lint obstruction, it's frickin LINT, just soft cloth and in minimal amounts in unseen and out of the way crevices that couldn't plug a stir straw.
The issue isn't a piece of lint blocking the barrel. A piece of lint working its way into the inner workings of the gun can cause a jam at an inconvenient time. I've seen several examples of guns jamming simply from insufficient lubrication. Lint + lube = gunk that can create lots of problems in the action.

The holster limits the pathways for lint to enter the gun. The holster also protects the trigger guard area from accidental entry by an external influence. The edge of a desk, a tool on a workbench, a nervous finger during draw or during a pickpocket attempt, ... I'm sure there are hundreds more examples of things that the holster would protect you from.

Non-holster is certainly your decision, not trying to say non-holster has to be wrong. Just suggesting some other things to think about.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
People Like This 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Liked 137 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am comfortable with my IWB leather holster carrying a full size Beretta 96. with the right clips on the holster, I can tuck in my shirt. I can wear my rig around the house, and even while doing dishes (bending over to load/unload dishasher) bending over to load firewood into the stove, and recently, bending over and digging gifts out from under the christmas tree, nobody ever noticed I was carrying. My mom finally noticed, when we got into a discussion about my shirt and what it said on the back. as I was sitting up off the couch to stand up, I went to pull my shirt out and down to flatten the shirt so they could read the back, and she got a momentary glimpse of my weapon because she was already focused on my the back of my shirt. she commented on it then! ("YOU DON'T NEED THAT IN HERE!!!") but by then, we had already been over there visiting with them for 36 hours!

I almost said "I'm visiting with family, why WOULDN'T I be armed?" haha, but I just pointed out that I have it with me whenever I leave the house, and rather than leave it on top of a desk/dresser in an unattended room (no gun safe in their house, the only gun they have is a 70 year old single shot .22 with the bolt removed and stored in a different location) I felt it was safer to keep it on my person, in my control.

Search in the CCW section on here, I've posted pictures of my rig twice in the last week or so, in 2 different threads...if you want to see pictures of it you can find them. I'm not going to photobomb the forum with my pictures in every thread
People Like This 
Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just got a new Ruger SR9C 9mm and a MaxTuck hybrid IWB holster from White Hat Holsters in Texas. This is so great! I've been wearing it for 5 days and sometimes I don't even know I have it on. I'm sitting right now and it feels kinda like my iPhone case. That little gun shoots like a dream. I ran 200 rds through it after I bought it and I'm impressed. It will also handle +P. Was on sale for $399 and comes with a 10 rd mag. and a 17 rd mag, which will fit the SR9 and vice virtue. Both holster and gun made in U.S.A.!
People Like This 
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #16

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
The issue isn't a piece of lint blocking the barrel. A piece of lint working its way into the inner workings of the gun can cause a jam at an inconvenient time. I've seen several examples of guns jamming simply from insufficient lubrication. Lint + lube = gunk that can create lots of problems in the action.

The holster limits the pathways for lint to enter the gun. The holster also protects the trigger guard area from accidental entry by an external influence. The edge of a desk, a tool on a workbench, a nervous finger during draw or during a pickpocket attempt, ... I'm sure there are hundreds more examples of things that the holster would protect you from.

Non-holster is certainly your decision, not trying to say non-holster has to be wrong. Just suggesting some other things to think about.
You do have a point, for such a rare case.

I have no pocket lint ever, so it's hard for me to see anyone else having it unless they work and/or play in environments such as wood or metal where shavings fly through the air and can permeate the pocket threshold. But for the average Joe, as long as he does his due diligence and keeps dryer filter and vent clean, this should be a non-issue. Wash and dry them insideout and problem solved, should do this anyway to maintain color and quality longer.

As for trigger guards, I fully support holsters when it comes to these DAO/strikers that have no manual safety, which I don't support caring at all, but for me, single action condition 2, its truly useless.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop
I've read up a lot, especially since the decision in Illinois making CCW ban Unconstitutional, and have narrowed it down to a few choices for me and my wife.

However, Ive never had the experience of carrying concealed and i'm sure there are several factors that go into it other than "what model do you WANT?"

I see lots of people (even on FTF, there's a huge thread about which gun do you carry) but I see very few people talk about what do they use to carry it with (holster)

For me, I am constantly on the move, on the sales floor at a few different stores, walking around our business sector, and so I want something that's not going to rub, protrude from clothing, or risk being detected (I work with a lot of liberal minded people...I'm sure they'd know I'll probably be carrying, but i'll never actually tell them unless the need were ever to arise)

So i'm looking at some options with that in mind.

My best friend is a LEO, and off duty, he pocket carries a little sub compact .380

A lot of what i've read (and im not saying I disagree or agree, just have read) says that .380 is too small for CCW?

Any opinions there?

Preferably, I'd like a 9mm, since I have a few other handguns that could fire it, and share ammo (plus I like stock piling, so buying in bulk is easier when buying fewer types of rounds)

What do you all carry and more importantly HOW do you carry it? Does it ever get in the way? Do you think it would rub/chafe/be easily detected in bulging clothing?

Any discussion would be most appreciated
if you're looking for comfort as well as concealability, a n82 tactical holster is the way to go. i carry my Shield 9mm in the professional model. quick story, i once set up my carry rig to carry around the house and see what the holster/shield felt like together. i sat at my computer for 10 minutes and then got up to check somethig with my Shield and actually went LOOKING for it for about 5 minutes before I remembered i had it on me the entire time! Yes, it's that comfortable. well priced, great customer service, great quality, made in USA, etc. All great reason on why i would look into the n82 tactical holster.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had a CCW since '95 and for the 1st few years, carried full size semi-autos on my hip (not often though). However, the last few years, I've carried an XD(m) 9mm, Kimber Ultra Carry, Airweight .38+P and just picked up an LCR Crimson .38+P. I carry all of them in horizontal small-of-the-back holsters. I'm used to it and it is a comfortable way for me carry.