A few questions for CCW
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few questions for CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default A few questions for CCW

I've read up a lot, especially since the decision in Illinois making CCW ban Unconstitutional, and have narrowed it down to a few choices for me and my wife.

However, Ive never had the experience of carrying concealed and i'm sure there are several factors that go into it other than "what model do you WANT?"

I see lots of people (even on FTF, there's a huge thread about which gun do you carry) but I see very few people talk about what do they use to carry it with (holster)

For me, I am constantly on the move, on the sales floor at a few different stores, walking around our business sector, and so I want something that's not going to rub, protrude from clothing, or risk being detected (I work with a lot of liberal minded people...I'm sure they'd know I'll probably be carrying, but i'll never actually tell them unless the need were ever to arise)

So i'm looking at some options with that in mind.

My best friend is a LEO, and off duty, he pocket carries a little sub compact .380

A lot of what i've read (and im not saying I disagree or agree, just have read) says that .380 is too small for CCW?

Any opinions there?

Preferably, I'd like a 9mm, since I have a few other handguns that could fire it, and share ammo (plus I like stock piling, so buying in bulk is easier when buying fewer types of rounds)

What do you all carry and more importantly HOW do you carry it? Does it ever get in the way? Do you think it would rub/chafe/be easily detected in bulging clothing?

Any discussion would be most appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

If you want to stay with 9mm and pocket carry appeals to you, check out the kahr cm9. Nice little weapon that's very reliable and not too expensive.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've carried for over 30 years and there is no "right" answer to your question. I have carried everything from a full size 9mm, or a 4" Python, to a Colt Mustang .380. I currently carry a Kimber 1911 3" or a Ruger LC9. The Kimber in cooler weather, mostly with a belt holster that holds the gun very close to my side. The LC9 with an IWH which I can conceal with a t-shirt.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....J B Books.

People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #4

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndfan View Post
I've carried for over 30 years and there is no "right" answer to your question. I have carried everything from a full size 9mm, or a 4" Python, to a Colt Mustang .380. I currently carry a Kimber 1911 3" or a Ruger LC9. The Kimber in cooler weather, mostly with a belt holster that holds the gun very close to my side. The LC9 with an IWH which I can conceal with a t-shirt.
For me, my wife is willing that we get a new firearm just for CCW - but I wont be able to try out several

I have several, but none fit, IMO, for CONCEALED carry. Even if Illinois goes OPEN carry, when im at work, it has to be completely hidden and comfortable

I *REALLY* like the idea of a 4" 1911, but not sure how i'd carry it, obviously can't do it in the pocket, and my "dress attire" requires a shirt being tucked in, so a belt accessory is out (at least at work)

Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

So far I only have a full size Beretta 40 and a large frame 357, a cc gun is my next purchase. I just got my wife a J frame DA only 38 for Xmas, it was her gun of choice for size, feel, etc. I haven't decided yet which way to go, small auto or 5 shot revolver but I am leaning toward the auto. So far I have looked at the M&P Shield as well as the M&P40c, I prefered the Shield's ergo and it is a single stack so it is thin, this I believe is the biggest advantage to keeping well concealed, the revolver cylinder and the double stack mag ad thickness and increased chance of the gun being noticed. Though obviously the single stack is going to sacrifice rounds for concealability, another one I am considering is the Taurus slimline, it comes in 9 or 40 with the same size frame and it can shoot without the mag being inserted which is another feature I like, my buddy has one of these and swears by it, it's also economical. Some guns like the Ruger LC9 have to have the mag inserted which usually isn't going to be a problem but I see it as an unnecessary safety feature.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have Smith Airweight .38, Ruger LCP .380, Ruger LCR .38, and Ruger LC9 9mm for my conceal collection. I have others that I consider not concealable - 357 Colt, N frame Smith, Colt 1911.

In my search for what works for me - my nearly always choice is the LCP .380. It is due to size and concealability. What works very well for me is a leather back pocket holster for the LCP - by Stoner Holsters. It goes everywhere - including dress and semi-dress close contact social settings. I have occasionally carried it in a small Uncle Mikes holster in my front pocket - works very well.

I have carried the Smith .38 some - but it is usually carried in bulkier clothing - jackets or loose baggy outdoors pants - in a Big Mike's front pocket holster.

The LCR .38 is new to me - and I have not carried it yet. It is an easier shooting gun at the range than the Smith (both .38's), but it's grip (which makes recoil more tolerable for repeated range shooting) - also makes it a little larger and a little harder to conceal.

The LC9 9mm, though I have a couple of excellent holsters (inside and outside waistband - both From Stoner), I have never carried it - because it is larger - more uncomfortable. Love to shot it at the range, though - softest recoil of any of my conceal guns - but it is just larger. If I were determined to carry 9mm, the LC9 in the leather Stoner IWB holster would be the way to go. It is virtually undetectable. But it is larger and more uncomfortable - so I always grab the LCP .380...

The LCP .380 -- I don't even notice I have most of the time.
I believe it is the gun I WILL carry that is the best gun for me - caliber considerations aside.
Better to have a gun - than no gun - for me...other people's thinking may vary.

This has been the results of my search for ccw for me - lots of guns ... lots of holster combinations tried.

Last edited by Colby; 12-26-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: sp

Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

For a holster I would check out Crossbreedholsters.com. Mine is great and conceals very well.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #8

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My EDC's either a Bodyguard .38spl+p revolver or an M&P Shield 9mm. I'd recommend the Shield, but they're hard to find.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #9

I pocket carry a Kel Tec PF9 everyday. Its super light weight, 7+1, 9mm and they're +P capable. Mine is the mid priced parkerized finish black on black and it was $278 out the door.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2055 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

You might look at the XDs in 45ACP. Plenty of firepower and a thin frame. Get the grip extension for your pinkie finger.

There's a couple threads about holsters with a lot of good advice.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-options-carrying-full-size-service-pistol-concealed-76081/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/found-my-perfect-carry-method-77300/

In Oklahoma, they've passed open carry. I found that I prefer open carry (a lot more comfortable). But sometimes I carry concealed and tucked in (going to church). I use an Old Fashioned Holster (IWB, tuckable) that's pretty similar to the CrossBreed SuperTuck. It spreads the weight out which is good if you're on your feet a lot. But it's not too comfortable when sitting down or driving. Also, I have to lock my gun up when at work (company policy, not allowed in the building). Taking the IWB holster off in the car is physically difficult, especially now in cold weather with layers of clothing. A paddle holster OWB makes that a lot easier. I tried leaving the IWB holster on, tucked in, but empty. Still wasn't very comfortable (I sit down a lot.)

Anyway, congratulations on the court decision. What is the deadline date? It was 180 days from some day in early December, I think, but don't know the actual date.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/