Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm going to throw in a couple of cents worth. My son is a small town cop in Georgia (not NY). He carries a L1A1 with a couple of mags in the trunk of his car. The Police Chief of the town carries an M-14 with four mags in his car.

If your cop needs extra firepower, how about his police issued M4 with a few magazines of ammo that he keeps in the trunk of his car.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #42

OK. Book is going well. Nearly done with the first draft.

Here's another aspect I'd like to pick your brains with if you'll be so kind. It goes beyond handguns, but I rather stick to this thread rather than open another one elsewhere.

You enter your favorite weapons shop during a zombie outbreak. You can pick up anything you want - the only limit is what you can carry on you. Lets assume you have a nice sturdy backpack, a jacket with big pockets or whatever other gear you think will help (holsters, ammo pouches etc.).

I'd imagine grenades and a sniper rifle might be handy. Also a couple of different blades for times where ammunition could be spared. My vast knowlege can't go into more detail than "guns and stuff" .

What's going to be your portable arsenal? Feel free to be brand and type specific.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to your exciting and enlightening replies.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post
I'd imagine grenades and a sniper rifle might be handy.
I don't think you would find many live grenades in your average gun shop, not where they could be easily found anyway.

If small caliber could drop the zombies, i'd grab a 10-22 & a crapload (several thousand) rounds of .22 LR ammo. If the zombies needed more lead, i'd want some kind of semi-auto AK (WASR10 perhaps) & a crapload of Wolf FMJ or HP rounds, as much as i could carry (maybe 1500 rounds). My buddy has a lil WASR10 & it never seems to jam & is reasonably accurate.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #44

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

we talked to a gun store worker who happens to know that alot of off duty cops like to carry a .380 because of it's small size and concealability.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #45

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 37

zombie attack ay.Even though I am a revolver guy,I'd definitly carry a couple of auto pistols in .9mm or something,a 12 gauge with lots of ammo,a machete on my belt,and maybe a baseball bat in my pack.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2606 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Since head shots are the only way to end a zombie attack (common knowledge), a light, accurate carbine would be ideal.

For me, a Colt AR-15 Gov't Carbine in 5.56 mm with 10 - 30 round mags. Quick acquisition sighting device like C-more or other holographic/red dot sight. Suppressor (silencer) to help protect your hearing so you will be able to hear the zombies approach from behind. Nothing like the ringing in the ears from multiple guns shot reports to screw up your ability to audibly detect an approaching threat.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #47

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post

You enter your favorite weapons shop during a zombie outbreak. You can pick up anything you want - the only limit is what you can carry on you. Lets assume you have a nice sturdy backpack, a jacket with big pockets or whatever other gear you think will help (holsters, ammo pouches etc.).
Welcome back Flipout - I am enjoying your thread.

Okay most of the guys here wouldn't need a gunshop, they would just open their safe and hand out weapons to the party involved. That might want to be something that you work into the story if it fits. Someone who knows someone who is a 2A supporter and keeps weapons at their house.

Your "average" gun shop isn't going to have "sniper rifles" and grenades. If I remember correctly, your story is taking place in the New York area, and I would imagine those gun shops are pretty bone stock as NY has so many laws against weapon purchases.

If I remember correctly, your Zombies need to be shot in the groin to be killed off, so my weapons choices will be under category.

Some weapons that you will find in EVERY gun shop that would be useful, in my mind, would be these:

First, get a large duffel bag - all these types of store sell them.
  • Remington 870 Shotgun - This is a pump action shotgun. Get the 12 guage. Very simple to load, point and shoot. Have them get the one with the 18 barrel, that will be good at keeping recoil down for any small framed, or females, in the group.
  • Remington 1100 Shotgun - This is similar to the 870, but it's a semi automatic shotgun and quite common. They make several versions that are bird/turkey guns, so they are in every store that sells guns.
  • Have them get 2 3/4 in shells for the shotguns. Probably #4 birdshot because it will cause a hell of a lot of damage to the groin region. Every story always has the hero loading Double Ought Buck, but that is over kill and it's not as common as bird shot is in most stores.
  • A "hunting rifle" like a Remington 700 would be really common. Have them get a common hunting caliber like the .30-06 This will give you a long range hitter ( you don't need a "sniper" weapon to kill a zombie, no matter how sexy it sounds ).
  • An AR, like Robo indicated, would be a great choice, but I don't know how prevalent they are in NY. They would probably not have any high capacity mags for them since NY is occupied terror-tory, so the storyline would have 10 round mags - still effective, but not AS effective.
  • Glock Pistols. I hate them, and I hate to offer them up, but they are for sale everywhere and they are really easy to learn to use for a moron. You can add some realism to the storyline and have one of the characters have a Negligent Discharge almost injuring another story member. That would make a bunch of us smile.
  • Taurus Judge. This is a new pistol, a revolver, from Taurus that shoots .410 shotgun shells. It's a common revolver now and everything thinks it's a HOT gun. Give one to one of the guys and have him with a field coat and a pocket full of two boxes of .410 shotshells.
  • Cold Steel Kukri would be the field knife of choice. Cold Steel is very common and their Kukri is one of their best sellers. If you feel frisky, give them the San Mai version. That thing will seperate a head from the shoulders with a solid swing, so splitting someone's pelvis wouldn't be a problem either.
  • Field Vests, especially in camoflauge like for bird or deer hunting would add good realism. Have someone get stuck with the Hunter Safety Orange version and have them spray paint it in aisle 6 before they leave the store.
  • Rubber soled boots would be a must. Especially ones that were leather or waterproof. Don't want Zombie Blood all over your sneaker clad feet and soaking into your skin.
That's off the top of my head. I'll give it some more thought and post some additional stuff later most likely.....

JD

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I can't believe JD picked up a Glock....I thought you'd go into shock or something.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #49

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I can't believe JD picked up a Glock....I thought you'd go into shock or something.
Oh, I didn't say I WOULD PICK A GLOCK, I was offering it up for the story the guy is writing.

You have to read the whole thread.

1) These are stupid civilians with no weapons training

2) They are in NY - for crying out loud

3) They have one off duty cop as part of their group

Not exactly a SeAL Team if you know what I mean....

JD

Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
2) They are in NY - for crying out loud
They are meat.