A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Actually, as long as we are using correct terminology, BULLETS are the things that come out of the front end of a firearm when it is discharged. CARTRIDGES, OTOH, are the things loaded into magazines. They consist of a cartridge case, primer, gunpowder, and bullet. Each cartridge is a round of ammunition.

The standard Glock in 40 cal does not use a 33 rd magazine. And a backup gun (aka hideout) is generally quite a bit smaller. It is a "last ditch" weapon- might be as big as a 5 shot 38 special snubbie, like a S&W Mdl 36, or even a 2 shot derringer tucked in a hip pocket.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 AM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glock pistols have the advantage of letting you use standard magazines from bigger models as long as they are the same caliber, of course.
Obviously if you do this, magazines are going to protude since grips are longer as you go up from subcompact to compact to full size ,but you get the advantage of getting more cartridges (c3shooter is right about the proper denomination)than the standard magazine designed for the smaller model.
In the pic you can see my Glock 27 (.40 caliber ,subcompact model) fitted with a full size model standard .40 magazine,I get the advantage of having 15 rounds in the magazine with the disadvantage of having it protuding the grip,wich makes the gun a little less conceleable.
On the side you can see a 29 round aftermarket magazine ,wich obviously will make the gun very difficult to carry concealed.

dsc01012.jpg  

Last edited by kcolg; 07-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #33

Thanks for the corrections! You see, you already saved my book from cringe inducing stupidity. Imagine my cop say things like "we need more bullets".

Gah!!!

Yeah, I was wondering if a 33 rounds magazine was going to protrude like crazy and yes it does! I'll stick to the standard sizes.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No problem, I did some writing myself ,so I'm glad to help...
By the way, even though cartridges is the proper denomination, people usually will use the term ammunition or ammo,for example,"I runned out of ammo" is more likely to be used than " I runned out of cartridges"
I,m curious now about the zombies weak spot..haha...maybe your cop should have a pistol with a laser like the one in the pic or is going to be difficult to hit the spot...

lasermax-20lms-1141p.jpg  

Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #35

Oh, OK. I think you guys deserve a bit more detail after being so helpful, especially since this idea did the rounds already in pitching... The twist in my story is that only males can be turned into zombies (if a female is bitten she is just injured, a male will eventually turn).

Their weak spot forms around their testicles once they turn... So instead of head shots you have to go for ball shots...

Not sure I'm going to get a Booker prize award for that, but it's a fun yarn.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post
Oh, OK. I think you guys deserve a bit more detail after being so helpful, especially since this idea did the rounds already in pitching... The twist in my story is that only males can be turned into zombies (if a female is bitten she is just injured, a male will eventually turn).

Their weak spot forms around their testicles once they turn... So instead of head shots you have to go for ball shots...

Sound like fun...i
Ironically ,I've been kicked in the groin by an ex girlfriend once and was left in a zombie like state for a while...
Send us a copy when it's finished! Cheers

Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Quote:
only males can be turned into zombies
Well, that makes sense- after all, the women have been watching Oprah, and Dr. Phil, and Jerry Springer- by now, they will have been accustomed to being in a mind-numbing state, and thus immune to zombies !

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #38

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post

Just as long as I am the only male left alive and not zombieafied

Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #39

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, that makes sense- after all, the women have been watching Oprah, and Dr. Phil, and Jerry Springer- by now, they will have been accustomed to being in a mind-numbing state, and thus immune to zombies !
ZING! One for C3 on that one...

Glock = Probably the safest choice for your police officer. And a really horrible piece of kit.

JD

Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 AM   #40

Quote:

A lot of those woman's purse's will be shot to pieces, because that's where hubby's balls are kept.