Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Safely I would say a Glock 19 with 2 extra mags, for the offices. Possibly an older S&W .38 Spl snubby, and as a back up for the officer maybe a small .380 auto of one of the major brands.

I personally have carried a 1911a1, .45 auto for most of 40 year as a primary weapon and had .38 spl's and .380 auto's as back ups. But then I am not Law Enforcement so I would say the Glock for sure.

My carry right now is the 1911a1, and back up is .38 Spl snubby.

I carry one mag in the weapon 7+1 and 2 extra 7 round mags. I do carry a back up 5 rounds for the snubby also.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #22

Are the main characters also going to use weapons such as traps? Like explosives, bear traps and stuff like that?

Btw.. In holland, where I live, the Police is saddenly still using the Walther P5 as their primary gun. But they are going to replace them this year, they are probably going to take the Walther P99 or Glock 17 in use.

Last edited by Armalite; 07-04-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgeroy View Post
If you choose Glock, please, please, please don't have your character "click the safety off of his Glock." So many good books have annoyed the heck out of me with that one little statement.
Neither have him cocking the hammer of a Glock,as they don't have one...I even saw in movies how they overdub the sound of cocking the hammer on Glocks or similar hamerless pistols...embarrasing...

Last edited by kcolg; 07-04-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgeroy View Post
If you choose Glock, please, please, please don't have your character "click the safety off of his Glock." So many good books have annoyed the heck out of me with that one little statement.
Thanks, this is exactly the kind of information I want. To know what people who know their stuff about guns find annoying when they read material written by someone who doesn't have a clue.

I am leaning towards the Glock, but I'm not going to go into too much detail about how it's used. The people using it know how to use it so it's enough to mention when the gun is taken out of the holster, fired and reloaded. Just like when I describe someone using a car I don't detail every single action he takes: unlocking the car, getting in, closing the door, putting the key into the ignition blah blah blah.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And if possible have your character avoid phrases like "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol" or "Between your faith and my Glock 9mm, I take my Glock" if you decide he is gonna carry one..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolg View Post
And if possible have your character avoid phrases like "Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol" or "Between your faith and my Glock 9mm, I take my Glock" if you decide he is gonna carry one..
I promise!

Also, so lets say the cop has two Glocks (I know the spare is likely to be a seperate model, but it's best if they can use the same ammo).

The cop has on him a Glock and two clips. How much bullets is that? obviously the more bullets the better as there are a gunshots.

In the car he has his spare gun. How many clips will he keep with the gun there? Where is he likely to keep it? In the glove compartment? Under the seat? Something else?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #27

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The round capacity in the magazine, not 'clip' depends upon the model. I mentioned the clip thingy because if you want to keep to the true termonology, the officer will say "magazine" not "clip". Or "mag" for short. As in, 'hand me that full mag if you want to live."

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post
I promise!

Also, so lets say the cop has two Glocks (I know the spare is likely to be a seperate model, but it's best if they can use the same ammo).

The cop has on him a Glock and two clips. How much bullets is that? obviously the more bullets the better as there are a gunshots.

In the car he has his spare gun. How many clips will he keep with the gun there? Where is he likely to keep it? In the glove compartment? Under the seat? Something else?
If you want to keep it realistic a glock in 9mm/.40 will have around 15/17 bulletes per magazine,police officers usually have one or two spare magazines on them on a magazine pouch.
Also usually a second gun is used as a backup gun in case that the main one fails or it's taken from him,and it's also usually carried rather than kept elswhere,it's not unusual for this backup gun to be from a different caliber and usually smaller,many LEO carry a small revolver on an ankle holster as you might have seen in many movies (check this video clip for example:

Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know if police like Springfield XD's, but if i was being chased by some hard-to-kill zombies, i'd want my XD45 with 13 rounds in the magazine & a couple of spare mags.

I'd bet the wikipedia article on Glock would have the magazine capacities for the various Glock models.

Of course, as mentioned earlier, some areas have limits on magazine capacity; though, i doubt they would apply to LEO's.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #30

Glock pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess I can use a standard Glock as the main gun and a compact one for the backup in the ankle holster, right?

Which ones do you recommend from the list? It doesn't really matter as long as I don't select utterly inappropriate types.

I see some of them can have 33 bullets in the mag? That's a lot!