Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post
I live in London (UK) and my story takes place in NY... Talking to a PRO is a great idea and I wish I could do that!
I could see living in London or New York, could create a problem. I'm sure if you wanted to talk to the local City Police Dept. in those places about firearms, it could get you on the Terror Watch list.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
As for a weapon for a cop in N.Y.?? Well, Kimber 1911's are made in Yonkers, N.Y. - and since this is a work of fiction, you could give your cop a 1911. It wouldn't be very realistic I am afraid as I am pretty sure NYPD carries Glock pistols, but I am a 1911 guy - so I always look for those angles in a story.
Fun fact: Kimbers are illegal to sell in New York. Mine came with a big sticker on the side of it claiming "NOT FOR SALE IN NY AND MD."

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #13

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your book. As a former LEO, I prefer to still carry a 1911. Mine of choice is a Para Ordnance P-14, high capacity.
Before I retired, we were still carrying revolvers on duty. As far a how much ammo you would carry while not expecting trouble, that is a bad question. The reason being, if you are carrying, you'd better always expect the worst case senario. That is the only way to be fully prepaired. You carry how ever much ammo you feel comfortable with. If you have to fire 5,6,7 or 8 shots and don't hit your target, you should not be carrying anyway. You , in that situation, would either be dead yourself or would have shot a few bystanders.
The first 2 rounds (double tap) will decide to outcome. Most women would be more comfortable carrying a small revolver. For the most part, they are more simple in operation and easy to train with. They are also easy to carry for a women (and a lot of men) and be put into quick service when needed, as they don't have any external controls to fumble with. And lastly, I personally would never just hand my back-up gun to someone I did not know. Hope this helps.

Jim................

Old 07-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have no idea about the cop, but if the girl has been carrying without a proper permit, i would think it likely that her pistol would be something handed down from her dad, probably a revolver in .38 special. My youngest sister keeps a small, gold-finished .380 or .25 pistol in her purse at her husband's request, but this is soooooooo not New York. My father has always asked his daughters to have some kind of gun in their house for emergencies, just for his peace of mind (one doesn't).

Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #15

Thanks guys! This is all very useful.

I do intend to keep the gun aspect very simple. I just want to make sure to avoid any embarrassing mistakes.

At first I just mentioned guns and shooting and suddenly I realized it was getting to be a bit like a video game. They were just shooting and shooting and I started thinking "how much ammo do they have?", "When do they realod?" and with that came even more questions.

So this is all very insightful.

The biggest problem is that they shoot zombies. So lots of wasted ammunition until they figure out the zombies' weak spot (it's not the head or heart in my story!). It could be that they probably don't carry on them enough ammo...

Though with that said they do stop by the cop's civilian car where he keeps his spare gun and possibly ammunition. Is it likely he will keep a significant amount of ammunition in his car?

Again, thanks everybody. This is great stuff.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #16

If I have to engage in Zombie Combat, I would not use a pistol. I would prefer more stopping power, bigger mags and longer range. Battle Rifles, a.k.a. Ak-47, AR-15, FAL, or something in that flavor.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
If I have to engage in Zombie Combat, I would not use a pistol. I would prefer more stopping power, bigger mags and longer range. Battle Rifles, a.k.a. Ak-47, AR-15, FAL, or something in that flavor.
True, but the encounter is unexpected... Still, it's a good point and should be mentioned somewhere in the story.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Fun fact: Kimbers are illegal to sell in New York. Mine came with a big sticker on the side of it claiming "NOT FOR SALE IN NY AND MD."
His story is about a Law Enforcement Professional - They are exempt with a letter from their Division Mommy....

JD

Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post

Apparently the Tacoma Police have a choice on what to carry, either Glock or XD iirc in 9 or 40. I could of misheard him or he could of just been screwin' with me.

That's incorrect. Tacoma PD switched to Kimbers at the same time when LAPD did. Tacoma PD proper don't generally carry tactical plastic anymore - Pierce County Sheriffs DO have a choice of pistol, but Tacoma PD carry the 1911 from Kimber.

Source 1

Source 2

EDIT: The standard patrol officers can choose the Glock if they wish - I was incorrect they are mass issued the 1911, there is a choice...

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-03-2009 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #20

If you choose Glock, please, please, please don't have your character "click the safety off of his Glock." So many good books have annoyed the heck out of me with that one little statement.