A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A few handgun questions for a book I'm writing.

Hi all. I'm writing a book and I want the portrayal of guns in it to be as realistic as possible so I thought this would be a good place to ask my questions and get some pointers.

If that's not cool with the community I'll bow out and never bother you again, just please let me know and apologies in advance!

The use of guns in my story is very simple. There is an off-duty cop who carries a gun with him. He has a spare gun in his car that he hands over to someone else later on. A third gun is owned by a young female in her twenties.

I'm not going to go into too much detail with the guns, but I there are the things that are on my mind:

1. What handguns are they likely to use? Some quick internet research took me in the direction of the P226. I know there are loads of different guns and ammunition types.

2. How much ammunition would someone who isn't expecting trouble will usually carry? Where will it be kept? Is it going to be in the form of magazines, boxes of bullets?

3. The story takes place in a fictional medium sized town in the state of New York - if that information matters.

Any tips for a more realistic and respectful portrayal of guns will be helpful. I'm sure as experts you often find yourselves reading a book and getting annoyed with the writer getting it wrong. I hope to avoid that with your help and in general to learn more about guns as they are quite fascinating, really.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum - I think you will find the group here to more than willing to help with your request.

We have several former and current LEO members here who can answer these questions from direct experience.

As for a weapon for a cop in N.Y.?? Well, Kimber 1911's are made in Yonkers, N.Y. - and since this is a work of fiction, you could give your cop a 1911. It wouldn't be very realistic I am afraid as I am pretty sure NYPD carries Glock pistols, but I am a 1911 guy - so I always look for those angles in a story.

I believe that most agencies either issue .40 S&W caliber or 9mm. Locally here, the King County PD carries Glocks and they issue 9mm 135gr hollow point ammo by Winchester ( I believe ).

If it were me, and I was not "expecting trouble" I would have one magazine in the weapon and two more with me. In my carry 1911, that is 7+1 in the weapon and ( 2 ) mags with 7 .45ACP Hollow points as back up. I would never carry a box of bullets unless I was going to the range and planned on doing quite a bit of shooting. Self defense ammo is carried in the magazine it's designed to feed from, hence you don't find yourself out of ammo when you need it the most.

Hope that helps!

JD

Old 07-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

I am not an LEO but, I think the answers you are looking for, should come from an experienced Police Officer.

You lost me at the part, where a Police Officer gave a Firearm to an unknown person, I do not believe that would ever happen. This could cause a serious problem for the Officer, the Dept. and legal liability for the City.

This could also create personal safety issue for the LEO. A Police Officer needs to know, they can trust that person at their side. Do you trust unknown dogs? I think no would be the appropriate answer.

Have you tried talking to the Public Relations Officer, in your City? A personal interview with an LEO might be best.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #4

Thanks, Dillinger. That helps a lot!

I'd love to hear more views. This is quite fascinating.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR762 View Post
I am not an LEO but, I think the answers you are looking for, should come from an experienced Police Officer.

You lost me at the part, where a Police Officer gave a Firearm to an unknown women, I do not believe that would ever happen. This could cause a serious problem for the Officer, the Dept. and legal liability for the City.

This could also create personal safety issue for the LEO. A Police Officer needs to know, they can trust that person at their side. Do you trust unknown dogs? I think no would be the appropriate answer.

Have you tried talking to the Public Relations Officer, in your City? A personal interview with an LEO might be best.
I live in London (UK) and my story takes place in NY... Talking to a PRO is a great idea and I wish I could do that!

The story involves a zombie outbreak so any standard protocol is irrelevant. They are a small group of people and another armed man is improving their odds.

The woman is someone they meet later on. She owns her own gun (which leads to the question what type of gun is she likely to have).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipout View Post
I live in London (UK) and my story takes place in NY... Talking to a PRO is a great idea and I wish I could do that!

The story involves a zombie outbreak so any standard protocol is irrelevant. They are a small group of people and another armed man is improving their odds.

The woman is someone they meet later on. She owns her own gun (which leads to the question what type of gun is she likely to have).
As a civilian female in New York? She probably wouldn't own one. new York State has some of the strictest gun control laws in our country. I believe, and we have several members here who live in New York, you have to apply for a permit just to own a handgun in New York. A lot of people are not willing to do that because it's one more step towards government control.

As for a female in general DON'T get suckered into the standard "and Brenda had her trusty Walther PPK" because everyone thinks the Walther is the perfect gun for a gal starting out and it definitely is not.

Give her a small revolver, something stainless, like a S&W 6 shot or something in .38 Special. That would be believable and it's a nice gun that would be safe "rattling around in her purse". Don't have to worry about it accidentally going off.

Unless you are making her be like Sarah Connor from The Terminator - then she gets a cool as semi automatic and leather pants.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Unless you are making her be like Sarah Connor from The Terminator - then she gets a cool as semi automatic and leather pants.

LOL

Nah.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:29 AM   #8

Default flipout & typical carry guns

mr flipout, i've done some law enforcement gun carry while in the military. during this time i've come into contact with a number of civilian law officers.
for your book, keep it simple. in my opinion, many leo's carry smith and wesson 9mm semi-auto. yes, glocks are popular, and other calibers, but let's keep it simple. typical carry is one magazine in the weapon, and two spare mags. some leo's carry a small backup gun. this is typically a pocket pistol in
.380 acp (automatic colt pistol caliber). the backup pistol normally has one magazine in it, and no spare mags. let's say it is a ruger lcp (light compact pistol). this pocket size gun can be carried in an ankle holster, or in a pocket. it fits in a ladies hand. i'm not all knowing, but you may consider this as a simple scenario for a nypd officer. it's just a book, hope it sells, jeff.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
There is an off-duty cop who carries a gun with him.
This definately has to be a Kimber 1911 or Wilson Combat Stealth 1911 .45 ACP! Definately two full magazines, 8 rnds each, 230 grain hollow points!

Quote:
He has a spare gun in his car that he hands over to someone else later on.
Definately a Colt Commander .45ACP!! Two full magazines, 7 rnds each, again 230 grain hollow points.

Quote:
A third gun is owned by a young female in her twenties.
This has to be a Walther P99 in 9mm!! Just the loaded magazine in the weapon for ammo and probably target ammo.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I talked to a local LEO during a recent trip to the emergancy room to treat some puncture wounds of mine brought on by stupidity and he was carrying a glock, so I struck up a conversation with him ('cause I was bored and couldn't leave the bed).

Apparently the Tacoma Police have a choice on what to carry, either Glock or XD iirc in 9 or 40. I could of misheard him or he could of just been screwin' with me.

Personally I'd suggest the cop having either a Sig, Glock or Springfield XD as his weapon and some sort of snub nosed revolver as his "extra" gun. Thats just me though. I haven't yet dranken the awesome brainwashing juice that 1911 owners are selling.

As for the chick, an empty cap gun.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory