Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 'Fess up, guys. Or gals.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 725 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 218

My wife and I are in a second marriage and like each other a lot. She feels that I have worked hard all my life and I am entitled to have this wonderful hobby. I can buy what firearm I want, no matter how many I have. I go shooting or hunting whenever I like. She feels very safe when I carry.
Although she knows how to shoot, it's not the same as shopping.
I also pay the phone bill with a smile on my face.
We do a lot together so she is not a shooting widow.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I dunno. There are advantages to a collar and leash.
I would never do that... to my dog!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #23

Liked 902 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 637

I buy what I want when I want. She does as she pleases and so do I. Never asked a woman to do anything ever. I pay my bills, don't cheat on her or run the bars. I have a few guns and she doesn't like it when I get a new one but who cares. She knows where the door is and can use it at anytime. And God forbid she yell at me. I can yell louder and she knows it.

USMC 74-78

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5496 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 4771

My standard answer.

You invest in securities. I invest in commodities.

And we both make a profit on our investments.

Golda Meier.
People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2757 Times on 1597 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

I must be lucky.
I do transfers and the wife does not know what came in for a customer or for me.

This is a big turn around for her. When we got married, she stated that no guns will be in the house.
Since her father gave me a revolver, she could not say "No".
I started prying on that little opening and got it to the size I wanted.
Now she says that I should not sell any of my guns, and she allows me to have one for each year I've been alive.

(But I still can't tell her that I'm 104 years old.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6959 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8374

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x View Post
If I had the cash id be in that boat too. lol
If I had the cash, I'd be buying guns more often, too. And I don't even have to sneak them past anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Because most guys hide guns until well into the relationship. Go to a shooting range on your 2nd or 3rd date while she's still too polite to say anything and start her on shooting or find out her experience level. That way, you always have the defense that she KNEW what you were like from the very beginning!
I'd love to be taken to a shooting range on any date.
readygirl Likes This 
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #27

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5
My wife and I are in a second marriage and like each other a lot. She feels that I have worked hard all my life and I am entitled to have this wonderful hobby. I can buy what firearm I want, no matter how many I have. I go shooting or hunting whenever I like. She feels very safe when I carry.
Although she knows how to shoot, it's not the same as shopping.
I also pay the phone bill with a smile on my face.
We do a lot together so she is not a shooting widow.
Does she have a sister?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #28

Liked 574 Times on 306 Posts

So i used to be in that boat until I finally told her how it going to be. We're older and make more money now so we can both have nice things. But recently I bought a new safe and she flipped because it was $1k plus. So I'm on probation until I pay it off. But recently picked up a new Sig on sale, couldn't pass that up! A few weeks ago a buddy was commenting about how nice my Sig shot at the range as the warden walked up! Besides wanting to punch him, I was scrambling to figure out a story. I told her I bought it to flip it and make a profit. It worked for a week. Then she Said that she wants to see the inside of the safe!!!!! Oh sh*t! The new story was I'm hiding her birthday present in there! A month early? So I'm paying off the safe and putting on my big boy pants again. I can't agree to any terms like that again. Oh the things we do for our passions!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3000 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 632

DW & I are also on our second time around. one of the reasons we hit it off so well when we were fixed up was we are both children of cops & soldiers. Her Dad was 28 Yrs NYPD after the Korean War, my Dad was 37Yrs US Postal Police/Postal Insp. and 36+ US Army(5 active and 31 Reserves-ret. Sgm.)
Since we're on limited income and don't wanna piss away the nest egg, we don't buy as much as we would like ("honey I'd love that Mitchell Arms BLack Lightning .22 Magnum" she says "can we afford another .22?" "not really" I say, so i settle for an NAA .22 with conversion cyl.)

Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #30

Liked 4677 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I think my wife's tolerance of my gun habit stems from the fact that, if it ever came to a choice between her and my guns, she's not real sure how she would come out.
Reminds of the time I brought home my first handgun... wife new I was buying a gun... knew I was buying a .45... but must have "assumed" is was a long gun because when I came home totting a small blue plastic case with "COLT" stamped across the face... she said... "What is THAT!"

I opened the case and said... "My new GUN"

She said... "I WILL NOT HAVE A HANDGUN IN MY HOME"

Without looking up I replied... "Well, your Mother is 2 hours south... you have a nice trip".

She immediately stopped making dinner... stormed into our bedroom... locked the door... and did not reemerge for about 2 hours.

Durring that time I loaded up our little ones and took em to McDonalds for supper.

When we got home she was back in the kitchen and never brought it up again...

Cost me a meal but 21 years and about the same number of guns later... those 2 Happy Meals turned out to be "money well spent".

...and yes...same boat... with the benifit of earning nice side and bonus funds that are NOT a part of our "family budget"...

Tack