Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > 'Fess up, guys. Or gals.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #121
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
You kids registered somewhere?
Nope. Kinda wondering if we will...
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
Cinder, you do realize there's quite a difference between Utah and Louisiana, don'tcha? Has Trip made full disclosure on the differences? I recommend watching a few episodes of Duck Dynasty and Swamp People to make sure...
Oh yeah. She got off the airplane here in late December with the palm trees still green right outside the airport (and this is far NORTH Louisiana). Then I showed her my big...trailer.

Yeah, I ain't hiding anything. I even told her this evening I have to put my foot down on a summer wedding; her family just wouldn't be able to handle it.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #122

Liked 1232 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 665

Having an FFL and selling 'some' guns is the best cover I have ever had!!!
But that is a mute point now, she is gone so I guess I can do as I please now!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #123
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1031 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
I don't know if it's age or what, when we were married 29 years ago, my wife was totally anti-gun, no guns in the house. I sold off all that I had about 10 of them. That was due more for financial reasons than fear of a divorce. I had been shooting since 1964. To make a long story short, about 9 years ago I got into reloading for a 45 ACP I purchased on sale and that was the first problem, like they say don't take that first drink or you'll finish the bottle. Well nine years later and about 35 purchases (I have sold 10 of those off) my collection is what I want and shoot all the time (When I can find time to do so), I have a different strategy that works well.

"ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH SINCE NO ONE WILL BELIEVE YOU ANYWAYS", if you don't have to make up a lie you won't get caught up in it and have to remember which lie you told. And I reload for 13 different calibers now.

No, she is still anti-gun but the solution was a MARITAL tax on each purchase. It generally runs between $200 to $600 on each purchase. I support her collect of antiques and she supports my collection of firearms.
Our house looks like a painting gallery with no uncovered wall space and a collection of dolls and statutes and nick knacks that could fill 5 houses.

So when sitting at my computer, she comes up and says I should go out and get another gun, I know she wants to buy something that is just not for everyday use. (for her collection)

I ALWAYS take her with me when I purchase a new toy (kind of like a good luck charm), that way she knows what the MARITAL tax should be. Purchased 3 this year so far but the total number will depend on what she comes across next that she must have. Me, I am running out of room in my two rifle cabinets and safe.

But I guess I can always find more room somewheres.
Jim
Jim, that's a pretty good system you two have worked out there. Both of you truely understand the meaning of the word compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I don't keep girls very long, usually, or, rather, they don't keep me. I'm much like limbkiller in that I'm 100% open and honest with who, what and how I am, with everyone.

I've had a couple girls question the way I spend my money, and I told them pretty much the same thing as limb states,

"My bills are paid, our tummies are full, our bodies are clothed, you have a new purse and watch, and my 401k is only losing the damn money I'm putting in it, so my extra cash is mine to spend as I see fit."

Funny how they didn't question the way I spent it when buying them a new perfume, dress and purse just the week prior... Then again, perhaps I should stop dating these 20 something girls with delusions of grandeur and self importance.
BTB, go for an older woman, and I don't mean one with 1 foot in the grave. I mean one who is 3 to 10 years older than you are. Older women are generally more mature, they have learned the value of hard work, and they are ready to settle down in most cases.

I am 4 years younger than my wife, and at the time we got together, she was ready to settle down. Most of the girls I dated who were younger that I was at that point (29) were still in that give me all I want stage of their lives, and their demands were not cheap. I have no problem with taking care of a woman's needs, and her reasonable wants, but I ain't gonna go out and buy her a new car because hers has a dent in one of it's doors. (God's honest, one of my ex-girlfriends demanded this from me. I immediately started "helping" her pack her belongings, and held the door for her while she left.) My wife has never made a demand of me yet, only requests, which I try my best to do.

The only caveat I give on the older ones, I hope you like or want kids if you go this route. That son or daughter will always be priority 1 in her heart. Quite posiblly yours at some point as well. That's how it is with my step-daughter for both of us.

Trip and Cinder, If I haven't said it yet, congratulations. may your love for each other grow stronger with each passing day.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #124

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyeborn View Post
Txpossum haven't you been married to about 4 or 5 different women?
Ummm, yeah. I was wondering when that would come up. It's not as bad as it sounds, though. I was married for six years, then my first wife passed away from cancer. Married for 12 years, and that did end in a divorce -- we just sorta drifted apart. Married for six years again, and #3 passed away from an odd drug interaction treating symptions of Lupus. Been with the present one for going on 12 years now, but not married for all that time. Acually, still not officially married, but might as well be for all the difference it makes. We lived in different states for about half that time, which probably helped.

If this one dies on me, I'm giving up. However, she's 18 years younger than I am, so hopefully she'll last a while.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #125

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 326

While my wife does not mind my interest in firearms, she has little herself. And, fortunately for me, one gun looks about the same as another to her. Whenever she asks how many guns I actually own, I mumble something, then make a comment like

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
"I see you're wearing your fat pants again" which changes the subject fast. The next few minutes might not be the most pleasant, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Because like my father, and his father before him, I sometimes sneak guns into the house without my spouses's knowledge. When asked about a particular gun, I've always had it "a while", even if I just bought it that morning.

But my wife thinks that you should have only as many guns as you need, while we all know it the correct standard is not need, but want.

Oh sure. She suspects. She more than suspects -- she knows. But she pretends not to, rather than face the truth . . . that she is married to a . . . gunbug. Someone who, no matter how hard they fight against temptation, will surrender to the siren song of blued steel and hardwood. So she pretends not to notice when I "casually" stroll in the door, with one hand unobtrusively clutching something hidden under my jacket and immediatly head to the basement.

Common' -- fess up here. Who else is guilty?

LMAO!!! So true.. so true... Unfortunately I dont have that problem. My wife is happy to see a new firearm in my future.

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #126

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
While my wife does not mind my interest in firearms, she has little herself. And, fortunately for me, one gun looks about the same as another to her. Whenever she asks how many guns I actually own, I mumble something, then make a comment like "I see you're wearing your fat pants again" which changes the subject fast. The next few minutes might not be the most pleasant, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

Because like my father, and his father before him, I sometimes sneak guns into the house without my spouses's knowledge. When asked about a particular gun, I've always had it "a while", even if I just bought it that morning.

But my wife thinks that you should have only as many guns as you need, while we all know it the correct standard is not need, but want.

Oh sure. She suspects. She more than suspects -- she knows. But she pretends not to, rather than face the truth . . . that she is married to a . . . gunbug. Someone who, no matter how hard they fight against temptation, will surrender to the siren song of blued steel and hardwood. So she pretends not to notice when I "casually" stroll in the door, with one hand unobtrusively clutching something hidden under my jacket and immediatly head to the basement.

Common' -- fess up here. Who else is guilty?
My fiance loves shooting and has expressed an interest in getting her CCW
She knows about my collecting and that as i am training as a gunsmith i will be buying and selling guns and she is kool with it

Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #127

Liked 602 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 233

My wife doesn't get upset over my purchasing of firearms, but she has color preferences.

The black rifles are "ugly" and the iron and wood firearms don't appeal to her much. She likes the FDE guns and multicam paint jobs, which I suppose is more useful for concealment. She wasn't happy with my SCAR purchase because it was black and not FDE.

I have always liked the "black rifles"- first rifle I ever shot was a Colt AR-15, but FDE doesn't make it any less functional and is wife-approved.

In a rather odd bit of irony, only black cars with black interiors are wife-approved. We live in Houston and the black leather in the Tahoe requires a decent pair of jeans if you don't want your rear end instantly BBQ'd when you sit down.

She complains about my SureFire purchases, but is the only one at work that can find tidbits lost in the crevices of server rooms.

She always carries a SureFire flashlight with her now and has dropped them numerous times with no ill effects.

On that note, my wife just came in and read my post and was not happy with me because I took a SureFire out of the Silverado the other day (it's my damn truck and I was cleaning it) and she needed it.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #128

Liked 636 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 385

LOL, she sounds like an interesting woman.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #129

I have a great wife!! As long the bills r paid and we have the money I can buy a gun but I better buy her one also so that's mean I get to have two lol.. I'm bless she's a sexy women that hunt fish and shoots a bow .. She's my new best friend lol

Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #130

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I only buy when I know it wont affect the household budget. I am not going to let my wife's car break down because I wanted a new pistol. But with that kind of thinking I can buy whatever I want. I let her do the same. But she is feeling bad about a gun that I wanted. We were looking for her 22 mag revolver for quite a while. She has her permit and carries regularly. But she said that she would only carry a 22 mag because she wanted something super light, but with low recoil. I was just glad that she carried. I was at a gun store and saw a stainless compact 1911 with crimson trace grips. I also saw the 22 mag J-frame. She knew I wanted the 1911. I had been searching for one. She told me to buy the 1911. I chose to buy her gun instead. The 1911 was used. They were about the same price. The next day she insisted I go back and buy the 1911. It was gone. She has been reminding me that she owes me a gun ever since.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

bigjim Likes This