Federal Guard Dog ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Federal Guard Dog ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Federal Guard Dog ammo

I just read an article on this product in Guns & Ammo Magazine. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you recommend it? Why or why not? Is it actually available anywhere?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator
I just read an article on this product in Guns & Ammo Magazine. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you recommend it? Why or why not? Is it actually available anywhere?
That's the expanding full metal jacket stuff right? I was curious about this stuff in states that don't allow hollow point, would it be legal to own?

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper

That's the expanding full metal jacket stuff right? I was curious about this stuff in states that don't allow hollow point, would it be legal to own?
Yes, it is jacketed enough to fly straight, but mushrooms out on impact. It isn't all lead either. Very interesting concept.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I have some of this stuff and it works and feeds fine in some weapons that do not feed hollow points reliably. It is a great legal substitute for hollow points in states that do not allow hollow points. I have a few in my exotic 45 round box. Since they are silver they are great for werewolf hunting. ........lol

Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Its designed to not over penetrate as a self defense round. It does not look like JHP but it does expand like it. Check out their website, it looks like it makes sense. Good luck.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Got some, I'll post a pic o a box of it here in a few...

.45 165grn

image-1409283008.jpg   image-2919948824.jpg  

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Last edited by MoreAltitude; 06-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been carrying the Federal EFMJ for about 7-8 years. I don't know if the Guard Dog is the exact same stuff, but the EFMJ works very well. Feeds well in both of my .45's, and in my admittedly unscientific tests, penetrates well, retains weight and expands as advertised. I got a large supply of the 200 gr +P variety. I understand it is legal in New Jersey, where HPs are fround upon.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #8

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
I've been carrying the Federal EFMJ for about 7-8 years. I don't know if the Guard Dog is the exact same stuff, but the EFMJ works very well. Feeds well in both of my .45's, and in my admittedly unscientific tests, penetrates well, retains weight and expands as advertised. I got a large supply of the 200 gr +P variety. I understand it is legal in New Jersey, where HPs are fround upon.
Not the same stuff from what I've read the polymer innards make for a much lighter grain bullet.Making them unable to provide a +P for the GaurdDog series ammo.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #9

I am thinking this may just work in my Glock 22 nightstand gun.

Last edited by danolator; 06-07-2013 at 03:29 PM.