Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Federal Guard Dog ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/federal-guard-dog-ammo-91642/)

danolator 06-02-2013 01:05 PM

Federal Guard Dog ammo

I just read an article on this product in Guns & Ammo Magazine. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you recommend it? Why or why not? Is it actually available anywhere?

improvised_prepper 06-02-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator
I just read an article on this product in Guns & Ammo Magazine. Has anyone used this stuff? Do you recommend it? Why or why not? Is it actually available anywhere?

That's the expanding full metal jacket stuff right? I was curious about this stuff in states that don't allow hollow point, would it be legal to own?

danolator 06-02-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by improvised_prepper

That's the expanding full metal jacket stuff right? I was curious about this stuff in states that don't allow hollow point, would it be legal to own?

Yes, it is jacketed enough to fly straight, but mushrooms out on impact. It isn't all lead either. Very interesting concept.

GunRunner 06-03-2013 01:04 PM

I have some of this stuff and it works and feeds fine in some weapons that do not feed hollow points reliably. It is a great legal substitute for hollow points in states that do not allow hollow points. I have a few in my exotic 45 round box. Since they are silver they are great for werewolf hunting. ........lol

eborden1122 06-04-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator (Post 1265346)

Its designed to not over penetrate as a self defense round. It does not look like JHP but it does expand like it. Check out their website, it looks like it makes sense. Good luck.

MoreAltitude 06-04-2013 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some, I'll post a pic o a box of it here in a few...

.45 165grn

pioneer461 06-06-2013 08:46 PM

I've been carrying the Federal EFMJ for about 7-8 years. I don't know if the Guard Dog is the exact same stuff, but the EFMJ works very well. Feeds well in both of my .45's, and in my admittedly unscientific tests, penetrates well, retains weight and expands as advertised. I got a large supply of the 200 gr +P variety. I understand it is legal in New Jersey, where HPs are fround upon.

SigArmored 06-06-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 1269375)
I've been carrying the Federal EFMJ for about 7-8 years. I don't know if the Guard Dog is the exact same stuff, but the EFMJ works very well. Feeds well in both of my .45's, and in my admittedly unscientific tests, penetrates well, retains weight and expands as advertised. I got a large supply of the 200 gr +P variety. I understand it is legal in New Jersey, where HPs are fround upon.

Not the same stuff from what I've read the polymer innards make for a much lighter grain bullet.Making them unable to provide a +P for the GaurdDog series ammo.

danolator 06-07-2013 09:39 AM

I am thinking this may just work in my Glock 22 nightstand gun.