Failure to Extract Last Round P238

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Failure to Extract Last Round P238

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Went to the range today to put first 100 rounds through my new Sig P238. I was at round 92 and thinking to myself "wow this is the first time a semi auto worked flawlessly at the first range visit" when the last round in the mag failed to eject clear of the breech. It rolled right out and I noticed the case was badly damaged. I was able to replicate the malfunction once more but then it worked fine for another 15 rounds.

I attached a pic of the damaged rounds and two examples of the other 99 good ones.

Will clean and lube then try again. For the most part happy. It did go bang every time and the two problem child's were just resting in the breach literally lolling around on the mag follower. Dropping the mag would have solved the problem.

image-2155468043.jpg  

Last edited by LandMonster; 08-22-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandMonster View Post
I was at round 92 and thinking to myself "wow this is the first time a semi auto worked flawlessly at the first range visit"
I found your problem. ^ ^ ^

On a more serious note, there are some posts on this blog (they should be lined up for you if you follow the link) about what looks like the same problem. This apparently showed up from time to time on this model. From what I understand, newer editions shouldn't have this problem, but I'll leave that to you to sort out.

I bought a P238 that was used but unfired, and I think it's one of the newer variety. I was worried about this happening, but I was lucky, I guess...no issues (knocking on wood).

The good news is that it appears Sig will fix the problem and get you up and running.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #3

I know! You don't even have to say it out loud. A stray thought is enough to jinx the whole thing!

That blog sounds a lot like what I had going with the mangled cases. Only difference I can see is that mine only happened on the last round. I had no ftf or failure to extract. Just failure to eject the last round. I wish he posted pics of his cases to see if it was the same type of damage.

I guess it begs a question about diagnosing a problem by the spent cases...

Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Small, light pistol. Last round out of the mag. Gun is a light as it is going to get. Your grip may not be as positive after shooting the mag full. All receipes for limp wrist malf's.

The case failed to eject and was forced back into the barrel hood causing the damage shown.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

It's possible except it locked back both times. It makes it very curious.