Exploding Gun Myths-, Magazines taking a set
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Exploding Gun Myths-, Magazines taking a set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Exploding Gun Myths-, Magazines taking a set

Exploding Gun Myths

Now everyone knows that if you leave your pistol or rifle magazines loaded the spring will take a set and the magazine will not work. Doesn't everyone believe that myth?

Tan't so.

First lets look at springs and metal. We will start with just metal first. OK you take a piece of metal, Wire will do, and bend it 30 Deg. Now if you put a weight on that wire, 4 oz will do and go back a year later. Will that metal break when you straighten it out.

No. Why? because you put tension on it and that is all.

OK now you take the same piece of wire and bend it 30 Deg. and then bend it back straight. Then bend it 30 Deg. and then bend it back straight. Keep that up and what will happen? You know.... the wire will break very soon. Now back to the spring in a pistol or rifle magazine.

A spring is a piece of wire metal that is bent and then heat treated to give it spring(memory) and if you put a weight (cartridges) on it, bending it, and then leave it there for a year, what will happen? It might be fore-shortened slightly but when the weight is lifted it will go back to it's original size or close to it. Will it immediately break? No. What will make that wire spring break? The same thing that made the piece of wire above break. Bend, Straighten, Bend, Straighten,Bend Straighten, etc. In other words using the magazine and compressing the spring and then releasing the tension again and again and again is what makes springs break or wear out.

Not just being under tension.

Sarge the myth exploder

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I appreciate this information.

I'm pretty new to all of this stuff, but have some magazines that have been filled for about a year. I could definitely see people having filled mags (especially for SUR's like an AR-15) that have been sitting compressed for year after year after year.

I've spent a lot of spare minutes here and there thinking about how I would start a rotation, cycling a number of mags into "empty" status and then back into service.

It sounds from this report, that I should just load my mags, set them aside, and spend any energy on making money to buy more mags and ammo. I'd like to hear more thoughts about this "myth."

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 AM   #3

Likes Given: 291

Great post.

I keep two ar15 mags loaded with 27 rounds,a habit from the army days. When my edc gun mags are fully loaded, I chamber a round leaving the mag minus one round. I have not had any spring issues yet.

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Cycles wear out magazine springs. Leaving them loaded is no problem.

I have bought 1911's that were left in a footlocker since WW2 with loaded magazines and fired them all with no problem.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Thats good news since I leave my ar and ak mags loaded all the time, funny thing though in the service they would pick 10% of every body armed up in the morning before heading to work to block there ammo, which is to take out all the ammo ( in my case 7 30rd mags i.e. 210 rounds) and put them in a plastic block so they can check the ammo and also they told us it was to temporyily relive tension off the mags! LOL I think of all that time wasted striping and reloading mags a few times a week!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'd like to hear more thoughts about this "myth."
sarge is totally correct. unless the magazine is contaminated with water or dirt or whatever it should just be left. the only proper way to unload a clean magazine is one at a time witht he bullets leaving the muzzle of the weapon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

There WAS a case of a 1911 pistol found with a magazine that had been loaded in the 1920s. Found in the 1990s, IIRC. After sitting for 70 years, the mag was fired. No problems.

If springs lost their spring just from standing with weight on them, my 1985 F-150 would be sitting on the ground- those springs have been under load since the day the truck was built. You do not go out at night, and jack up the truck to relieve the pressure on the springs, do you?

Springs fail from being OVER extended, and from cycling (metal fatigue) Think about all the springs that are in a firearm besides the magazine.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Thats good news since I leave my ar and ak mags loaded all the time, funny thing though in the service they would pick 10% of every body armed up in the morning before heading to work to block there ammo, which is to take out all the ammo ( in my case 7 30rd mags i.e. 210 rounds) and put them in a plastic block so they can check the ammo and also they told us it was to temporyily relive tension off the mags! LOL I think of all that time wasted striping and reloading mags a few times a week!
Tell me did they also tell you to clean the mag. body while you were waiting? I'll bet that that was the real reason.
Sarge

Old 11-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Springs fail from being OVER extended, and from cycling (metal fatigue) Think about all the springs that are in a firearm besides the magazine.
I've thought about the hammer spring on a 1911...

I keep both my Colt 3" and Springer 5" cocked and locked at all times. If this "Let the magazine spring rest" lameness was true, then people should be claiming that hammer springs need to rest and should be released on the Sabbath from sundown to sundown.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
Tell me did they also tell you to clean the mag. body while you were waiting? I'll bet that that was the real reason.
Sarge

Not when doing this before duty every day. we only had about 10 mins or so to do it and there would be quite a few of us, waiting for an armorer to check it, one of the bigger reasons it was done also was there were a few idiots who decided to steal a few rounds from there mags and replace with broken pencils under still exsiting ammo, so it gave the illusion all rounds were there, because before all that the armorer would only press down on the mags at the end of the shift to make sure they were full. But years went by and they said it was still being done for the intention of the mags. Funny thing we never shot that ammo, and we always shot new ammo when we would qualifiy.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington