Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Expert handgunner input.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
That's why I was saying you may be pushing the sight a little with your support hand. I used ot use snap caps and find a spot on a wall and practice working thew trigger. If I was getting a little wobble when the trigger broke then I knew I was pushing or pulling a little. Sometimes when you are owrkign a trigger with your strong hand the front cna move a little. You body understands thi sand you try to compensate a little with your support hand. This can happen without you being aware unless you are paying attention pretty close.
It might be a flinch in your support hand in anticipation of recoil as well. If this is the case then the snap cap thing wont be of much use.

Bottom line is there is some type of movement when using a support hand when you're shooting. If you have someone that shoots with you have them watch you when you shoot to look for any type of flinch or push. And maybe adding a little dot under the center of your rear sight allowing you to stack your front and rear dots could help there.
Thanks for the thoughts on this, because I think you may have nailed it. I have noticed when dry firing this little gun that no matter how hard I try to squeeze off the trigger, with a two handed hold, the gun jumps a little side to side...I figured it was because of the crappy trigger break on this small gun, but I need to work on that and find a way to stop that from happening.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #12

Liked 80 Times on 63 Posts

My stepdad has the xds 45 acp and the both of us cant even hit the damn x on the targets at the range! Lol we were shooting from about 15 feet it is the only 45 acp he has. with the 9mm glock 19 i could hit the x almost every time so im wondering is it the small gun that makes me shoot bad? or the 45 acp that makes me shoot bad? If i had the new xds in 9mm would accuracy improve or still be the same? I have no other experience with 45 acps ive shot them but i was never really aiming at anything so is it the gun or the round? With the glock 19 i am very accurate my skill with shooting pistols on a scale to 1-10 is probably a 6.5

Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
My stepdad has the xds 45 acp and the both of us cant even hit the damn x on the targets at the range! Lol we were shooting from about 15 feet it is the only 45 acp he has. with the 9mm glock 19 i could hit the x almost every time so im wondering is it the small gun that makes me shoot bad? or the 45 acp that makes me shoot bad? If i had the new xds in 9mm would accuracy improve or still be the same? I have no other experience with 45 acps ive shot them but i was never really aiming at anything so is it the gun or the round? With the glock 19 i am very accurate my skill with shooting pistols on a scale to 1-10 is probably a 6.5
No, the pistol is very capable...I was tearing out one big hole when shooting with just my strong arm, but it was when I held the gun with two hands that my groups really opened up. It has been way to hot and humid to want to go out shooting lately, but I am going to try some different techniques, two handed, next time I am out.
The XDS .45 is certainly capable of good accuracy, but it is the human factor that causes the problems.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #14

By strong arm do you mean with just one hand? I will try it with one hand and see if it is true my right hand is probably my strong arm Ive only shot the xds with two hands n and im not accurate both with or with out the pinky extension. When i grip the xds i grip it hard enough were i can see the imprints of the gun on my hand my right hand i push forward left hand pulls back maybe the recoil of the small gun causes it to twist because of my tight grip? Im not sure ive never tried one handed i will try next time.

Last edited by hq357; 07-19-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Might this help?

http://www.centerfiretraining.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wheel.gif

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
By strong arm do you mean with just one hand? I will try it with one hand and see if it is true my right hand is probably my strong arm Ive only shot the xds with two hands n and im not accurate both with or with out the pinky extension. When i grip the xds i grip it hard enough were i can see the imprints of the gun on my hand my right hand i push forward left hand pulls back maybe the recoil of the small gun causes it to twist because of my tight grip? Im not sure ive never tried one handed i will try next time.
Yes, I am right handed and was shooting with just my right hand and doing very well, but as soon as I would use two hands it went down hill....I will figure it out eventually.
I agree about the gun leaving imprints in your hand, it has a very aggressive grip design. I have been using the Pierce base plates to get that
3rd finger in there, they help and you don't have to hold it quite so tight.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #17

Liked 1236 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 666

It is next to impossible to 'coach/instruct' someone on the internet. If you know a person who has some knowledge about handgun marksmanship you should get some first hand coaching.
Secondly, the 45 acp (my nephew has the same gun) is the wrong caliber for a 'little' gun, too much velocity lose, and excessive recoil. It is a 'lose,lose' situation!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #18

So it is the gun and the 45? If i had the xds chambered in 9mm do you think it would be more accurate? The xds is a fine little powerhouse i like it. but it does kinda smack my hand. it feels like i smacked a robots ass cheek when i shoot it

Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #19

Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I don't really see a problem with a short .45. The .45 ACP round is a low pressure, lowish velocity round to begin with. I also don't find the kick to be that heavy. When you get into reloading you find out that there is very similar overall energy in a .45 or a 9mm. I run some 9mm and .45 loads that use the same amount of the same powders. So in internal ballistics you realy have about the same energy onboard. The .45 tends to cycle a little slower (have lower slide velocity) than some 9mm pistols.

Recoil perception can have a lot to do with grip size and shape as well. A narrower and shorter grip will tend to be more uncomfortable under recoil, because all of that recoil is now focused on a smaller area, and you have less leverage to counter it with. A pistol that is uncofortable to shoot may also induce more recoil anticipation and more jerking, and trying to compensate, which all affect accuracy.

Handicaps you get from a short pistol are usually a smaller and harder to hold grip, and a short sight radius, that do not help with shot to shot accuracy. Some times with two hands you put pressure on the frame of the gun in different locations from shot to shot. The grip may slide around, you may grip tighter or looser which can change point of impact.

When shooting Sevice Pistol bullseye competition we only use one hand. 25 yd timed fire, 25yd rapid fire and 50 yd slow fire. Getting a good non shifting grip is important, it is why you will see some aggressive checkering or even hammer peened stippling on a lot of the bullseye guns, just to ensure that the gun stays put in your hand from shot to shot.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
So it is the gun and the 45? If i had the xds chambered in 9mm do you think it would be more accurate? The xds is a fine little powerhouse i like it. but it does kinda smack my hand. it feels like i smacked a robots ass cheek when i shoot it
I doubt the gun will be any more accurate, but the user may be able to handle it better. I personally don't find that my .45 XDS is very hard to hold on to, just tricky finding the best grip for shooting it with 2 hands.