Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Expert handgunner input.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Expert handgunner input.....

I need an expert with semi auto handguns to try and help me out.....
I recently purchased a new Springfield XDS .45 and have put Pierce mag bases on the 5 round mags for a three finger grip, plus I have the 7 round extended mags.......my problem, or question, is when I shoot this handgun with both hands , say at 10 yards, I am pretty much all over a 6" circle area, but when I shoot it strong arm only at the same distance I am almost cutting the same hole with both the 5 round mag and the 7 round mag..........?????????
Any idea what I am doing wrong with this little powerhouse when holding with two hands, because I am not sure why they scatter so. It makes me think I must be doing something wrong, but I shoot my other handguns quite well with 2 hands..?

Last edited by mrwintr; 07-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am certainly no expert, but I have an idea what might be the problem. One two handed hold that has been taught is to push forward slightly with the shooting hand while pulling back slightly with the supporting hand. Could it be that you are using this hold? With such a small handgun in that large of caliber, that hold could be allowing the gun to torque left or right when you fire it.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I do apply that technique some, not overly exaggerated, but I do a little bit of the push pull style....? I figure, obviously , that I am doing something wrong with my left hand, weak hand, just not sure what.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It sounds like your supporting hand is causing you to corner sights some. I used to have a similar problem so I started getting away from the three dot sights and looked more for something like a Hinie Straight Eight set up. If I didn't want to change sights I'd paint the center of the rear sight to where I could stack the two and it got me to shooting more straight. After a while I got to where I could feel the difference and could shoot with either sights. I practice at longer distances (25 yds. up) so my mistakes are much easier to see. But really the stacking dot thing works really well no matter the distance.

Look at how the sights on a Sig Sauer P series. They have a square on the back sight that you stack the front sight on. Where that front dot is that's where your round will go. I've always believed it's easier to stack two than line up three.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

csaw44 Likes This 
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Front Sight Training Institute in Las Vegas has a two handed hold that is slightly modified from the one your using. It might be beneficial for you to research it out. You can subscribe to their email list on their site.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Drum Junkie....I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cornering your sights", but I can see how the different sight configurations may help....but I am not sure what is available for the XDs at this time...I will have to look into that.
And Pappajim I went to that website and subscribed, but couldn't find any information right there. I ordered there free DVD...? Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwintr View Post
Drum Junkie....I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cornering your sights", but I can see how the different sight configurations may help....but I am not sure what is available for the XDs at this time...I will have to look into that.
And Pappajim I went to that website and subscribed, but couldn't find any information right there. I ordered there free DVD...? Thanks for the suggestion.
Most sights have a little daylight on either side of the front blade when looking through the rear sight. Cornering is when you allow that daylight to be smaller on one side or the other. Like I was saying, you can line up the three dots but still not be straight. Because two of those dots can be closer to each other than the other side.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #8

Remember, being off a little at the point of fire is magnified over distance. A fraction of an inch becomes an inch in a few feet. At a few yards even more.

I don't claim to be an expert. I just thought I'd pass off things I've learned form shooting over the years.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Most sights have a little daylight on either side of the front blade when looking through the rear sight. Cornering is when you allow that daylight to be smaller on one side or the other. Like I was saying, you can line up the three dots but still not be straight. Because two of those dots can be closer to each other than the other side.
I understand now, and you are right I have always had trouble having open space on each side of the front sight, I would much rather have a target setup where the front fills the rear notch completely, but I am not sure why it is I can shoot this XDs .45 so well with my strong arm, one handed, versus two hands..?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwintr View Post
I understand now, and you are right I have always had trouble having open space on each side of the front sight, I would much rather have a target setup where the front fills the rear notch completely, but I am not sure why it is I can shoot this XDs .45 so well with my strong arm, one handed, versus two hands..?
That's why I was saying you may be pushing the sight a little with your support hand. I used ot use snap caps and find a spot on a wall and practice working thew trigger. If I was getting a little wobble when the trigger broke then I knew I was pushing or pulling a little. Sometimes when you are owrkign a trigger with your strong hand the front cna move a little. You body understands thi sand you try to compensate a little with your support hand. This can happen without you being aware unless you are paying attention pretty close.
It might be a flinch in your support hand in anticipation of recoil as well. If this is the case then the snap cap thing wont be of much use.

Bottom line is there is some type of movement when using a support hand when you're shooting. If you have someone that shoots with you have them watch you when you shoot to look for any type of flinch or push. And maybe adding a little dot under the center of your rear sight allowing you to stack your front and rear dots could help there.

Thomas Jefferson