Estate protection
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Estate protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Estate protection

My father has a small collection of long guns and hand guns. We have decided that it is time for him to pass them along to me. These guns are all perfectly functional, some older, some newer. No antiques.

He lives in central VA and I live 2 hours south in NC. I don't think the long guns pose much of a problem transporting accross the state line. It's the hand guns I'm concerned with. There are approximately 6 of them. What is the best way to change ownership, transport to NC and re register these guns.

Concerns, thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

A will should give both of you as much protection as you can get. Research what is required for a legal will in both states.

Forgery is a federal offense.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalkingstick View Post
My father has a small collection of long guns and hand guns. We have decided that it is time for him to pass them along to me. These guns are all perfectly functional, some older, some newer. No antiques.

He lives in central VA and I live 2 hours south in NC. I don't think the long guns pose much of a problem transporting accross the state line. It's the hand guns I'm concerned with. There are approximately 6 of them. What is the best way to change ownership, transport to NC and re register these guns.

Concerns, thoughts?
Check the gun laws first, in both states. There may not be any problem of him just giving them to you.

If you can keep the states' noses out of it you should. What is given between family members is none of the states' business.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8745 Times on 3780 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Read up on North Carolina law http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

The go see your chief law enforcement officer, get your permit, drive up here to VA, say hi to Dad, take your UNLOADED handguns, put them in locked case, put case in trunk, drive home. While you cannot BUY a handgun in another state, you can be GIVEN one face to face (as long as you meet the legal criteria to possess a firearm) Virginia does not have registration of any guns other than full autos, sawed off shotguns, etc.

Last edited by matt g; 11-13-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Why not just go get them and drive home? Don't drive like a fool and you won't give LEO's any reason to pull you over. It's not like your smuggling drugs across state lines.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree, just take them home and don't worry about it.