Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Echo one of my favorite students (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/echo-one-my-favorite-students-34819/)

sarge_257 11-26-2010 10:15 PM

Echo one of my favorite students
 
We have no age limits in our Colorado Hunter education classes, but sometimes we have to question the childs ability to handle a gun. This small girl although she was 12 yrs old, was only 4 ft tall and very delically built. Echo was her name and she was smart. Passed her test with a 100% score and was ready, really ready! to go to the live fire at the range. When we got to the range it was immediately obvious that we were going to have some problems. She couldn't see over the bench rest. So we found a box and filled it with hunter safety manuals and one problem was solved. (As long as her Dad held her on the box which was not a real steady foundation.) Then another problem, the smallest rifle we had was too big for her. So I let her hold the rifle over her shoulder instead of against her shoulder. She shot her 10 rounds and with binoculars Sarge could see no holes in the target. Problem, we could not graduate someone that could not hit the target. So Sarge dished out more ammo. She shot all that and still no holes. So 10 more rounds were laid on the bench rest. And then Sarge went over to the next booth where a teenage boy was shooting. This young man, Mark was his name, had no reason to like Echo as she correctly answered several questions that he missed when called on in class. Very embarassing for a young boy. But Sarge gave him 5 extra rounds of ammo and whispered in his ear that Echo was having problems holding the rifle because she was so small. Would he put a few rounds on her target? He looked at Sarge questionly but then he smiled and shook his head yes. Sarge went back to Echo and held the rife for her so she only had to aim and pull the trigger when the sights were lined up. When the cease fire was called and the targets brought back Sarge had his fingers crossed that there was some holes on it. Lo and behold there were 8 holes in the center of the target. She had hit the target 3 times herself plus Mark's 5 helping rounds. She was so excited she jumped from her shooting 'box' and gave Sarge a big hug. Mark came over and congratulated her and got a big hug too. Everyone was happy and were calling her name and patting her on the back. What a class and what a little girl. And Mark grew up a little from a teen ager to a young man.
Kids like that is why Sarge teaches Hunter Safety.

c3shooter 11-26-2010 11:05 PM

I attended (as a student) the Colorado Hunter Safety Course in Castle Rock. 40 of us in the class. 3 of us old enough to drive. Really great kids- 4H program, so we had a lot of Ranch kids- about 50-50 boys/girls. I looked at the size of the kids, and on range day, I asked the instructor if I could see him for a minute. Handed him a case, told him some of the kids looked like they would have trouble with the adult sized rifles, and if he approved, kids were welcome to shoot these. Had a Marlin 15Y and a Cricket. He thanked me, kids got to shoot, and we got another 37 FUTURE VOTERS that have shot and now have a hunting license.

sarge_257 11-27-2010 04:20 AM

future voters
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 392584)
I attended (as a student) the Colorado Hunter Safety Course in Castle Rock. 40 of us in the class. 3 of us old enough to drive. Really great kids- 4H program, so we had a lot of Ranch kids- about 50-50 boys/girls. I looked at the size of the kids, and on range day, I asked the instructor if I could see him for a minute. Handed him a case, told him some of the kids looked like they would have trouble with the adult sized rifles, and if he approved, kids were welcome to shoot these. Had a Marlin 15Y and a Cricket. He thanked me, kids got to shoot, and we got another 37 FUTURE VOTERS that have shot and now have a hunting license.

You sure got that right C3. That is one reason I kept teaching for so many years. I taught my first Hunter Safety class in 1968 and finally hung up my vest this year. I total over 14,000 students since that first one in Missouri in 1968. I will have to write about that class, it was a humdinger!

JonM 11-27-2010 04:30 AM

good old fashioned alibi rounds to the deserving :)

Neophyte1 11-27-2010 09:09 AM

Compassion
 
Sir; another responsible story.

WDB 11-28-2010 04:06 AM

IMHO teach them to shoot but NEVER lie or cheat about there ability to do this. Some are simply unable at this moment in time and next year might be there year. Asking another shooter to put some holes in anothers target is done because they respect the person who asked them to do this. At best a bit of respect lost, at worse this other shooter leared that cheating is the way things are done. The other three shots on target where you holding the rifle on target and her pull of the trigger. what did you teach either of these kids?

I'm a simple man, not everyone can pass every test, if they know they failed they might try a bit harder the next time or find a new sport/hobby/vocation. Why be less than honest with our youth when it comes to there abilities? Even more why ask another child to give up there ethics to make another seem better than they are?

Isn't that how we got into the mess we are in now?

sarge_257 11-29-2010 03:09 AM

Helping someone.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 393132)
IMHO teach them to shoot but NEVER lie or cheat about there ability to do this. Some are simply unable at this moment in time and next year might be there year. Asking another shooter to put some holes in anothers target is done because they respect the person who asked them to do this. At best a bit of respect lost, at worse this other shooter leared that cheating is the way things are done. The other three shots on target where you holding the rifle on target and her pull of the trigger. what did you teach either of these kids?

I'm a simple man, not everyone can pass every test, if they know they failed they might try a bit harder the next time or find a new sport/hobby/vocation. Why be less than honest with our youth when it comes to there abilities? Even more why ask another child to give up there ethics to make another seem better than they are?

Isn't that how we got into the mess we are in now?

Well you can take the high and mighty road if you want too, but this little girl was just not physically able to handle the large rifles we had at the range. If she had a rifle that was sized for her I have no doubt in my mind she would have done fine. And considering her dedication to study and her perfect score on the written test, I felt and so did the other instructors, that she diserved a helping hand. Her Dad had already told us she would be going along with him on some small game hunts but not doing any hunting herself. He brought her to the Hunter Safety class for the SAFETY part of it. You should have been there to see the smile on her face and all the other kids applause made her day. I don't feel we did anything wrong.

JonM 11-29-2010 11:53 AM

it looked more like a lesson in compassion that was taught the little boy who helped the little girl. it wasnt the fact she wasnt trying and wasnt there to demonstrate shooting ability. nothing teaches huility and compassion than helping a rival that has done better than you on some things when that person needs help.

i dont see anthing wrong done at all. liberals take compassion to an extreme because at heart they are incompassionate and do not understand what real compassion is. so they overcompensate to "prove" they are kind by letting slide every worthless dreg of society and berate the rest of us with it. that false compassion liberals use is why the inner cities are a bloddy disaster.

hcso617 11-30-2010 12:40 AM

Sarge, It was your call and as a fellow instructor I say a good call. You have lit a fire in the heart of that young lady, and built up her confidence. Hopefully she will grow into our sport and pass the torch someday. Well done.

Logan2302 11-30-2010 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarge_257 (Post 392564)
?... and held the rife for her so she only had to aim and pull the trigger when the sights were lined up. When the cease fire was called ......... Lo and behold there were 8 holes in the center of the target. She had hit the target 3 times herself ....

A good insructor knows when someone is afraid of a weapon. If she was proficient in safety and in firearms basics, and wasn't afraid on the rifle, right-on! She'll be ok and those around her will be ok.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:57 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.