Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > EAA Witness 9mm/22lr combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default EAA Witness 9mm/22lr combo

In a couple weeks I plan to add a rimfire pistol. I was leaning toward the Ruger MK3 over the Buckmark, but also considering a GSG 1911 22lr. Then I saw this:

EAA Witness 9mm/22lr combo, which I can have in hand for $439 after all fees. It comes with two uppers and one mag for each caliber. I'm seriously considering this. My current go-to handguns are a BHP and CZ 75b...and the Witness (being a CZ clone) falls right in line with those.

Any thoughts on this gun? I'd still like to eventually add a dedicated Ruger target pistol, but this Witness seems like a great fit for the price.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

For me, it would be a tough call between that deal and a decent price on the CZ kadet kit (MSRP $385) for my CZ75b, but i've never owned a EAA. http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-kadet-adapter/

Pretty cool idea, either brand.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
For me, it would be a tough call between that deal and a decent price on the CZ kadet kit (MSRP $385) for my CZ75b, but i've never owned a EAA. CZ-USA -> CZ 75 KADET ADAPTER
I wouldn't mind picking up a Kadet kit at some point. But they sure are spendy. For that price I'd just go with a dedicated rimfire Ruger I think. Something about dropping $350-400 on a rimfire conversion (w/one mag) for a gun I bought new for $409 (2 mags) just doesn't add up to me.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

^^^ I hear that; the price is the only thing keeping me away from the kadet kit. However, you already have one 9mm almost identical to the one you would be buying from EAA; can you justify picking up another any more than a expensive .22LR conversion kit?

OUCH! This cat wants $400 for his used kadet kit with four mags & such. not cheap http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=244798281

GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 08-02-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Just my opinion but I don't like the idea of shooting dirty 22lr in any of my centerfire pistols.

Not when a dedicated 22lr pistol like the GSG 1911-22 is had for the near/same cash as a conversion kit!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #6

I'm not about to take this to the bank, but...based on what I'm reading it seems entirely possible that the Witness kit may actually fit my CZ 75 as well. And the 9mm mags could be interchangeable between the two, which would be a bonus as I have about 6-7 CZmags. Again, pure speculation and 2nd hand internet info. Could be dead wrong.

But if it did, it'd be a no-brainer to add the Witness 9/22. If I make the purchase or get any clarification on this matter, I'll let you know.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Not when a dedicated 22lr pistol like the GSG 1911-22 is had for the near/same cash as a conversion kit!
Yes, but a 1911-22 is no CZ clone in .22. Some people might not want a firearm designed when their grandmother was in grade school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
But if it did, it'd be a no-brainer to add the Witness 9/22. If I make the purchase or get any clarification on this matter, I'll let you know.
Sweet! That would be a "no brainer" indeed! You could even sell the EAA 9 to recover some cost, if you just wanted the kit.

I did see somebody mention not liking the .22 mags from EAA, plastic construction or something.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As a owner of the same E.A.A. kit you are looking into, here's my two cents. The 9mm Witness was well worth the price alone! It's a lil on the heavy side but that doesn't bother me. Had a couple malfunctions during break in but those were all gone after 250 rds. The sights are great and mine were spot on out of the box making it a very accurate pistol and 17rd capacity is always nice too .

Now for the .22lr conversion. This was the main reason i purchased the kit and i'll be honest if the 9mm was not as good as it was i'd be very disappointed and here's why. The sights were way off, shooting way low and right which was not a big deal due to adjuistable sights. So i zero it and had it shooting fairly accurate. Next range trip they were off again and this time couldn't get it to zero for the life of me and still to this day cant get it to where it was the first day(may be my fault so im not trashing it just telling you my experience). And now to the malfunctions, each time i take it out, i have at least three FTF and 7-8 FTE. Now i have chased this down to being the cheap plastic mag they give you. I've learned that if i load the mag and give the rear of the mag two solid taps in my palm in order to seat the rounds all the way back in the mag, it cuts down on the amount of malfunctions. Also there is no slide lock after last round so keep that in mind too.

So IMHO if you wouldnt mind another 9mm CZ clone, go for it but if your more focused on the .22lr aspect i'd go for something else. Good luck with your decision

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #9

ZombieKiller-

Great info. I appreciate the response. Your post illustrates exactly why I frequent this forum.

I think I'll be ordering a gun in a week or two, and I'm still considering this package. It's just a lot of shooting options for the money and I continue to hear really good things about EAA Witness. While I already have (and prefer) "the original" CZ 75, it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to add a clone of this fine specimen.

Maybe I'll pick up the EAA, with a "dedicated" rimfire horse to follow. What has me thinking is this: If the kit fits my CZ (still undetermined), I could always trade/sell the Witness 9mm down the line and keep the conversion kit. In the end I might have a 22lr kit for almost no cost. Compared to the $350 CZ kadet kit, that ain't too bad.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
ZombieKiller-

Great info. I appreciate the response. Your post illustrates exactly why I frequent this forum.

I think I'll be ordering a gun in a week or two, and I'm still considering this package. It's just a lot of shooting options for the money and I continue to hear really good things about EAA Witness. While I already have (and prefer) "the original" CZ 75, it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to add a clone of this fine specimen.

Maybe I'll pick up the EAA, with a "dedicated" rimfire horse to follow. What has me thinking is this: If the kit fits my CZ (still undetermined), I could always trade/sell the Witness 9mm down the line and keep the conversion kit. In the end I might have a 22lr kit for almost no cost. Compared to the $350 CZ kadet kit, that ain't too bad.

Thanks again for taking the time.
No problem . If you find the answer to whether CZ mags will fit, shoot me a pm if you remember. Also if you want i can field strip my E.A.A and take a pic if you wanna try and do a comparison and maybe see if the conversion will fit your CZ.

A CZ-75 is definately on my collection list but i can't seem to find a local dealer that sells em so i settled for the Witness for now

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"